The film Kingsmen

"The brute covers himself, the rich man and the fop adorn themselves, the elegant man dresses!"

-Honore de Balzac

Dr T

Wed May 20, 2015 11:49 am

This film which is an interesting mix of the Avengers, the Saint and James Bond may well be a boost for Savile Row and for the sale of double breasted suits. There are a few style clangers in the film: did you spot them?
hectorm

Wed May 20, 2015 5:05 pm

I don´t know which specific clangers you have in mind. Some might not be real faux pas but just a matter of taste.
But the one that threw me off was the definition by Harry Hart of oxfords as shoes with open lacing. Seriously?
dopey

Wed May 20, 2015 6:25 pm

Yes. That was weird, especially as it was not an off-hand comment.
hectorm

Thu May 21, 2015 3:24 pm

dopey wrote:It was not an off-hand comment.
No, it was meant to be didactic.
Another one could be the blue velvet smoking jacket. I liked the shawl lapels and turned up cuffs, but I´m not sure I would wear one outside my house (or my club).
andy57

Thu May 21, 2015 3:40 pm

hectorm wrote:
dopey wrote:It was not an off-hand comment.
Another one could be the blue velvet smoking jacket. I liked the shawl lapels and turned up cuffs, but I´m not sure I would wear one outside my house (or my club).
Oh, I would. I was this close to buying one from the Mr Porter site, but the price was a bit too steep in the end (sanity prevailed, I think my wife would say).
hectorm

Thu May 21, 2015 7:52 pm

andy57 wrote:...sanity prevailed, I think my wife would say...
I believe your wife would be right.
Buying online a RTW smoking jacket that comes in sizes S, M, L & XL and with the label "Kingsman" (of the secret service) on it, can´t be a good choice at any price. :)
andy57

Thu May 21, 2015 9:26 pm

hectorm wrote: Buying online a RTW smoking jacket that comes in sizes S, M, L & XL and with the label "Kingsman" (of the secret service) on it, can´t be a good choice at any price. :)
Yes, that's true. While I was in London a couple months ago, inspired by the smoking jacket on the Mr Porter site, I went to about four or five places looking for similar smoking jackets. The one I liked best was at Hackett. Alas, it just didn't fit right. In fact none that I tried worked for me. I was quite saddened by that. I'll have to go bespoke, I guess. (And we promptly take a hard left back to insanity). 8)
davidhuh

Thu May 21, 2015 11:27 pm

andy57 wrote: (...) Alas, it just didn't fit right. In fact none that I tried worked for me. I was quite saddened by that. I'll have to go bespoke, I guess. (And we promptly take a hard left back to insanity). 8)
Dear Andy,

I quite understand the attraction this dinner coat may have :D But I'm quite convinced that you had a guardian angel preventing you to make a spontaneous RTW purchase. Take this Kingsman design, remove all the fussy detailing, and you would get something very wearable and attractive. The shawl collar is very nice - it could be done with self facing or a grosgrain silk. Welcome to sanity - because it will not only be a nice garment but also fit you 8)

Cheers, David
andy57

Fri May 22, 2015 2:43 am

davidhuh wrote:I quite understand the attraction this dinner coat may have :D But I'm quite convinced that you had a guardian angel preventing you to make a spontaneous RTW purchase. Take this Kingsman design, remove all the fussy detailing, and you would get something very wearable and attractive. The shawl collar is very nice - it could be done with self facing or a grosgrain silk. Welcome to sanity - because it will not only be a nice garment but also fit you 8)

Cheers, David
I have a great many things to commission first, before I work my way down the list to "velvet smoking jacket". This is the jacket at Hackett that I would have bought in a flash had it even remotely fitted me. Even the salesman had to admit that it didn't come close.

http://www.hackett.com/peak-lapel-velve ... ?color=117

We're getting off topic, somewhat, but when I do commission a dinner jacket, it would probably be an ivory jacket in some creamy-smooth, buttery-soft cloth. Probably. 8) 8)
couch

Fri May 22, 2015 4:46 am

I can't imagine that it would fit you, given that it's far to small for the model on the web site. The proportions are so skimpy in every dimension that they make the poor fellow look like a macrocephalic bobble-head doll.
andy57

Fri May 22, 2015 5:01 am

couch wrote:I can't imagine that it would fit you, given that it's far to small for the model on the web site. The proportions are so skimpy in every dimension that they make the poor fellow look like a macrocephalic bobble-head doll.
:D Well, no. I tried on several jackets that were either my size or a little larger. And I completely ignore this silly trend of too-short jackets. No, I tried 42L and 44L, but the problems were in the collar (huge collar gap), and in the arms. It just didn't look right in any way. Hackett offers an onsite tailoring service, but the problems were more than a few alterations could fix!
Dr T

Fri May 22, 2015 4:52 pm

hectorm wrote:I don´t know which specific clangers you have in mind. Some might not be real faux pas but just a matter of taste.
But the one that threw me off was the definition by Harry Hart of oxfords as shoes with open lacing. Seriously?
Hectorm, you have it in one - well spotted. :D
andy57

Fri May 22, 2015 6:31 pm

Dr T wrote: Hectorm, you have it in one - well spotted. :D
It's been months since I saw the movie. You mentioned clangers, plural. What were the others?
Harry Palmer

Sat May 23, 2015 8:06 am

Hi
A few years ago I bought a green velvet smoking jacket from a charity shop. It was a shop near Vogue in London. The magnificent green caught my eye and when I looked at the jacket it was very new. RTW from Buckleigh of Belgravia. Only worn once for an advert. The size was 44, I was 42 but when ahead with the purchase. How much, I asked. £20 was the reply. "We also have a pair of dress trousers that came in with the jacket. Would you like to see them?". Well I can tell you, 10 minutes later I had £750 worth of clothes for £25!!! I still look in the same shop from time to time but have not seen a blue velvet smoking jacket yet!
Dr T

Mon May 25, 2015 4:07 pm

Andy 57 - there was another error about shoes at the same time as the comment about Oxfords being open laced. Im sure the "professor" in the film had his scar on the left side - the only one, as everyone else was on the right - would need to see the film again to be sure but I have a good eye for detail -most times.
  • Information