Budd Shirts?

"The brute covers himself, the rich man and the fop adorn themselves, the elegant man dresses!"

-Honore de Balzac

Concordia

Tue May 05, 2015 2:39 am

Has there been some kind of incident at Budd? They weren't returning e-mails last week (which isn't as unusual as it might be), so I called today, and no answer. Not only that, but when I tried a second time their voicemail box was full.
Noble Savage

Tue May 05, 2015 3:19 am

They have been busy making videos: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8Mnz- ... xjXybCgkig
Noble Savage wrote:Rough winds do shake the darling Budds of May,
Concordia

Tue May 05, 2015 11:32 am

Success today at least with the phone line.
culverwood

Tue May 05, 2015 3:21 pm

It was a Bank Holiday here on Monday.
Concordia

Tue May 05, 2015 5:39 pm

Ah-- that explains everything. I've got to check that website more often.
hectorm

Wed May 06, 2015 5:12 pm

Concordia wrote:Has there been some kind of incident at Budd?
If anything, I suspect there has been some kind of renaissance at Budd with a wider exposure and an updating of their ways for the younger clientele in mind. This seems to have been successful without falling into the traps of a dramatically lowered quality or fake aesthetics.
I had the chance to visit the store while in London last month. I was window shopping along Piccadilly Arcade when –through the glass- I caught the sight of Mr. Rowley smiling at me. I couldn´t do less than entering the shop and shake hands. I´m not sure whether he truly recognized me (it has been a while since Mr. Butcher cut my collars) or he was just being polite in his innate genuine manner. But in any case, what an agreeable gentleman and what a wonderful old fashioned haberdashery!
Concordia

Wed May 06, 2015 7:34 pm

Well, I have no idea what they were like to deal with, but they did a trial shirt for me that was almost perfect. Correct that-- the first one was a good half-inch too big in the neck, and something else was very wrong. So they took it back and followed up with a very nice second draft. I've requested only one incremental change from there, and we'll see how that works out.
NsM have been doing pretty well in the meantime, and I have a few other experimental irons in the fire just in case. But it will be nice to have someone doing the Jermyn Street thing properly.
hectorm

Wed May 06, 2015 9:45 pm

Concordia wrote: ...the first one was a good half-inch too big in the neck...
This has always been -for me- a tricky proposition. On my measure of 16 and a quarter neck, the collar is supposed to shrink around one third of an inch after a few washes, so the collar always feels loose at first trial. But then, sometimes the shirt shrinks, sometimes it doesn´t. I should have it figured out after so many years, but it´s impossible.
I have noticed -for instance- that end-on-ends shrink more than pinpoints but less than heavy oxfords. But once again, not always is it the case.
With sleeves the shrinkage is similar, but much easier to deal with provided the initial length is generous. The cuff (with insignificant shrinkage) will keep everything in place.
But those collars..... I worry at first trials, but luckily I forget soon.
Concordia

Thu May 07, 2015 1:00 am

This was all after a few washes-- admittedly from a better-than-average laundry that does cold water, hand pressing, etc. It was not going to fit without my going on a steroid and BBQ program. Anyway, they fixed it very nicely in the next round. The one thing that I am not perfectly crazy about is more of a preference than spotting a flaw.
davidhuh

Thu May 07, 2015 3:38 pm

hectorm wrote: If anything, I suspect there has been some kind of renaissance at Budd with a wider exposure and an updating of their ways for the younger clientele in mind. This seems to have been successful without falling into the traps of a dramatically lowered quality or fake aesthetics.
Gentlemen,

I can only but echo this comment. In the last years of the previous ownership, I asked myself more than once if this institution would survive or not. Budd came across as a relict of a era long gone - which had its charm. I was very pleased to witness how positively the existing staff reacted to the new ownership. Mr Butcher seems 20 years younger and the always charming Mr Rowley visibly enjoys the fresh water in the pond :D

On top, there is very competent new staff and a trainee in the cutting room - all very lucky changes indeed. The only thing I'm sad about is the refurbishment.

What the shirting quality is concerned: there has been a minor issue once, with the interlining in some collar shirts. This was corrected without discussion. Mr Butcher must have made more than 100 shirts for me in the past 5 years. His cutting is as precise as a machine...

Cheers, David
hectorm

Thu May 07, 2015 4:28 pm

davidhuh wrote: The only thing I'm sad about is the refurbishment.
You have a point there. I agree. Venturing into that magical disorder of things to discover was a big part of their charm. That is gone now, but fortunately at least the store still looks (and feels) like a quite old-fashioned gentleman´s haberdashery and not one of those new industrial minimalist zen spaces.
BTW, is Budd still part of the Huntsman conglomerate or was it separated when Lagrange/Roubi bought Huntsman?
Fabius

Thu May 07, 2015 9:36 pm

I'm currently having my first ever bespoke items made, some shirts from Budd. The first was lovely, not that I have much to compare it with, and am looking forward to the rest now. It sounded like they were busy, made worse by various visits to the US taking up their time. So far, a good first experience for me.
davidhuh

Thu May 07, 2015 9:46 pm

hectorm wrote:
BTW, is Budd still part of the Huntsman conglomerate or was it separated when Lagrange/Roubi bought Huntsman?
Dear Hectorm,

as far as I know, the former Huntsman owners sold Huntsman and kept Budd. I could not imagine the Butchers and Rowleys having much fun with a Roubi regime :lol:

Cheers, David
hectorm

Mon May 11, 2015 8:30 pm

davidhuh wrote: I could not imagine the Butchers and Rowleys having much fun with a Roubi regime.
Indeed. Just look what happened with Mr. Murphy and Mr. Smith.
And talking about the regime...last month I had the chance of dropping by Huntsman with the excuse of checking out their RTW lines. I´ll leave the detailed report for the Huntsman thread if I ever gather some steam, but suffice to say here that even the Suit Supply around the corner feels more authentic than all their hogwash about heritage and DNA.
  • Information