Beautiful Pens

Discuss travel, watches, gastronomy, wines, boats and all other aspects of the Elegant life
Dr T

Thu Jan 08, 2015 12:33 pm

I have always liked nice well-made pens. My current fountain pens are from Montegrapper, well made and a joy to use.
Has any one a recommendation for a large ball or rollerball pen ?
Melcombe

Thu Jan 08, 2015 5:15 pm

Next to good suits and watches for every occasion, I fear that pens are another slippery slope for the collector-minded - the positive being that the capital outlay is generally more modest. I have a small collection of fountain pens, all of which are to be used - and not kept wrapped in tissue paper in a locked drawer.

My main pens are 2 Pelikans : a M1000 and a M805 both with oblique nibs. Despite having grown up surrounded by pen and paper at home and work, I find now that I am writing far less than I did even 5 years ago - even my wife emails me shopping lists which I read off my phone rather than a scrap of paper.

The snag with even the loveliest fountain pen is the possibility of leakage in the pocket or damage to the nib if dropped when used away from a desk. I have therefore started to make fair use of a ball pen. This was a conscious decision and, setting out, I wanted something decent but wasn't keen to invest a huge sum. I ended up buying a Diplomat (Excellence A) pen. It wasn't hugely expensive, but I can happily report that its quality is outstanding and is, frankly, better than the Montblanc ball pen I had a few years ago. Unlike MB, the items really are made in Germany. Of particular benefit is that it takes a standard refill so I can use a good pressurised cartridge (in mine, a Fisher).

Diplomat fountain pens also get excellent write-ups on Fountainpennetwork and their biggest problem seems to be that, since they don't spend money putting ads on the back of glossy style magazines, people can't quite believe they are as good as they are if they don't cost as much as the likes of MB or Pelikan.
Aristide

Thu Jan 08, 2015 6:32 pm

I have found the MB line to be very overrated and have relegated my 3 to the back of the drawer. My "daily carry" is a Pelikan Souverän K 600 ballpoint. I have removed the standard issue ink cartridge and replaced it with a Parker .7m blue gel ink cartridge. The looks and ergonomics of the pen are very much to my liking and the way the pen "writes" (which should be at the top of the list of criteria) is the best in my experience. Too often I have fallen for the "face" of the pen (watch, etc.) only to be disappointed to find out it doesn't do very well what it was intended to do very well. Your mileage may vary.....
raykalendek

Thu Jan 08, 2015 10:44 pm

I began my foray into better-quality pens with a basic Pelikan with steel nib, which never seemed to lay down ink consistently; the body was rather on the small size, for my writing comfort. When I was ready to purchase my next "serious" fountain pen, I had pretty much decided on the Pelikan Souveran M1000, which for those of you who have not used it, is a substantial writing instrument. At the last minute, I retreated into my safety-zone and bought a black Conway Stewart Wellington from the now defunct Swisher Pens (a terrific company, notwithstanding its ultimate failure), and have never regretted my decision: it is a true luxury instrument.

There have been a number of other pens purchased over the years (always fountain pens), that have been respectable but unremarkable. My next pen will not be chosen for collectability, limited edition status, or cachet...as I've always used my pens...but for how it makes me feel; and that pen will be the blue Aurora Optima, at an MSRP of about US$800. It doesn't have an 18k gold nib and is rather short on other gold trimmings or precious/semi-precious jewels, but it appeals to me like no other pen that doesn't sell for many thousands of dollars.

I'm not qualified to recommend any particular make/model of ballpoint or rollerball, as my experience with their use is exceedingly shallow; however, I expect that any maker of fine fountain pens that also makes ballpoint and/or rollerball pens would be a safe bet. Search for one that you find visually appealing, then, if possible, visit a pen shop for a try-out. Having a great pen doesn't have to be necessarily confounded with great expense. With a bit of research, a well-made and serviceable writing instrument can be had for a surprisingly reasonable cost. Sadly, too many overlook the joy of possessing a great pen. Good luck in your quest.
Last edited by raykalendek on Fri Jan 09, 2015 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Scot

Fri Jan 09, 2015 11:28 am

An interesting thread. I have completely given up on fountain pens as I have never yet had one that didn't leak. The risk is simply too great. My Caran d'Ache rollerball is very sleek but I wish there were a greater range of ink colours and ball diameters.
raykalendek

Fri Jan 09, 2015 11:46 am

I have completely given up on fountain pens as I have never yet had one that didn't leak. The risk is simply too great.
That's funny (not that your fountain pens have tendency to leak on you) because my experience has been precisely opposite: ink-ruined or stained clothing has always resulted from pens other than fountain pens. I do, however, take the precautions when flying to either leave my fountain pen behind or seal it in a Ziploc bag...just in case.
Luca

Fri Jan 09, 2015 4:32 pm

One can always use fountain pens at a desk (home or office), without carrying them around.

Great thread, BTW, I'm pretty sure I WILL be trying one o those Diplomat pens.
Rob O

Fri Jan 09, 2015 10:05 pm

Pelikan M805: left-hand oblique and standard nibs. Used every day (almost exclusively) for the past six years. Carried in suit, in briefcase, in leather case. Manual refill using Pelikan Edelstein ink. No leakage, period. Best pen by a country mile for my purposes. I left one in a London taxi four years back and my wonderful colleagues, who revelled in my inky eccentricity, bought me an exact replacement. I have never been so honoured at work. :D

Aristide

Fri Jan 09, 2015 10:30 pm

Incidentally, if anyone is interested in customizing a nib, I've had good results from these folks:

http://www.nibs.com/Fountain-Pen-Nib-Customizations.htm
raykalendek

Sat Jan 10, 2015 1:09 am

Rob, would you elaborate a bit on what exactly nib customization entails? Is it undertaken for reasons aesthetic, ergonomic, both, or neither? I suspect that I may have some eccentricity in how I put nib to paper, as I often experience inconsistency in ink application. Assumption being made that I have some slight awkwardness to how I physically write, might a customized nib ameliorate the problem?

You are apparently well respected by your colleagues: their gesture of kindness was very considerate.
raykalendek

Sat Jan 10, 2015 3:39 am

Rob, you kindly provided a link about nib customization, which I incomprehensibly failed to read prior to asking for your elaboration. My questions have been answered. Thank you.
jrandyv

Sat Jan 10, 2015 8:20 am

My pens, that I've enjoyed include two montegrappa le; one which I lost for a year-in sterling and crimson. The other three are a beautiful grecian le blue Delta, an elegant Namiki and my most recent, a green pen handmade in North Carolina.

jrandyv
Vancouver WA
Rob O

Sat Jan 10, 2015 7:58 pm

raykalendek wrote:Rob, would you elaborate a bit on what exactly nib customization entails? Is it undertaken for reasons aesthetic, ergonomic, both, or neither? I suspect that I may have some eccentricity in how I put nib to paper, as I often experience inconsistency in ink application. Assumption being made that I have some slight awkwardness to how I physically write, might a customized nib ameliorate the problem?

You are apparently well respected by your colleagues: their gesture of kindness was very considerate.
Ray, as a left handed writer with an awkward overwriter style I find oblique italic nibs to be a bit scratchy. This is easily fixed with a bit of custom workshop grinding. Now the sharp corners are removed and the pen glides over the paper.
raykalendek

Sat Jan 10, 2015 8:43 pm

Rob, much appreciated. A simple customization might save my nibs from my repeated attempts to manipulate their shapes, which we all know only destroys design and, ultimately, functionality. This isn't much of a problem with relatively inexpensive steel, but somewhat of a different matter when the nib is 18k gold. I will check out customization as a possible solution. Thanks again.
Last edited by raykalendek on Sun Jan 11, 2015 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
uppercase

Sat Jan 10, 2015 11:02 pm

OMAS.
I've got the 12 sided paragon model.
From Bologna Italy.
I like the nib. Very flexible and expressive.
I have the lower cost acrylic version in plain black.
Nice.

http://www.omas.com/
  • Information