Five o´clock tea. Claridge vs. Ritz

Discuss travel, watches, gastronomy, wines, boats and all other aspects of the Elegant life
castiglione

Sat Sep 08, 2012 8:57 am

I heard about it and I know they got a prize somewhere "to the best taste of the year". Too conservative, I think, for new tastes, I will change my mind just to humour you, my obliging friend. Will let you know. Thank you for showing me the ways of the vega. Salud.
castiglione

Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:51 am

hectorm wrote:Dear Castiglione,
since you are living in Spain, have a fondness for marmalades but seem not to have an utterly sweet tooth, may I recommend, for your apricot-off days of course, you try the RAF tomato marmalade from de la Vega de Almeria? I know, I know,... its name -which comes from the tomato variety- might inspire some not so gourmet associations, but this dulce is really exquisite. Only available from October trough April while it lasts, and it doesn't come cheap either. Delicious on a dark brown toast or with a goat cheese torta, for instance.
Dear Hector. I followed your advice while waiting for the arrival of the Wachau Morillen, in fact it seems to be a Donau Tal product, more or less the same.
Sorry to report the tomato thing does not suit my taste but thanks to your advice I took the dip. I was wondering whether to do it or not and after a sea of troubles, yes, I tried it and it confirmed my forebodings. Thanks all the same.
Now, the Wachau story settled and Ms. Ferber in due course of reaching my lodgings (I found a distributor in France) Ms. Sarah Lambert continues to be a mystery. Apparently she is Alderman (Alderwoman?) in the little village of Provence where she dwells. But the jam distribution is restricted to the Swiss company that charges almost as much for shipping than for the real thing. So I blow the horn of distress. My fellow apricotists, help a member of the Sippe and unveil for him the key to the true delights of vanillapricot. Where can I find it? Or is it just the usual La perfide Albion conspiracy? :shock:
hectorm

Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:18 pm

castiglione wrote: Dear Hector. I followed your advice while waiting for the arrival of the Wachau Morillen, Sorry to report the tomato thing does not suit my taste but thanks to your advice I took the dip. I was wondering whether to do it or not and after a sea of troubles, yes, I tried it and it confirmed my forebodings.
Could you send me the open jar, please? :D

Notice dear friend that -despite your baiting- I´m avoiding to get entangled in the La perfide Albion argument and I declare myself (this time) neutral. Maybe if you do send me the jar, next time I will write about it.
castiglione

Mon Sep 10, 2012 3:04 pm

You see Hector, I am trying to find a distributor for Ms. Sarah Lambert jams, recommended by davidhuh for his distributor http://www.rvrtee.ch/shop/honig__konfit ... __provence is German Swiss and therefore his shipping and handling are very expensive. I cannot find anywhere in the web any reference to Ms. Sarah Lambert jams, this is why I asked if all this was not a conspiracy. Jokingly, of course. The question is still there. Does anybody know anything about this particular brand? Is it possible that Lambert´s jams do not have an English importer?
davidhuh

Mon Sep 10, 2012 3:35 pm

castiglione wrote:You see Hector, I am trying to find a distributor for Ms. Sarah Lambert jams, recommended by davidhuh for his distributor http://www.rvrtee.ch/shop/honig__konfit ... __provence Is it possible that Lambert´s jams do not have an English importer?
Estimado Castiglione,

it is indeed possible. Her distributor is well know for selling things you get no where else. I understand Ms Lambert's production is really truly home made jams, made with lots of love and not really profit oriented. I am sorry for Swiss Post charges...

Cheers, david
castiglione

Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:28 am

Dear David, Hector et al..
I finally laid hands (or tongue) on Staub´s apricot jam. Donau Tal Marille in the original, I think, not bet.
Tasting notes.
1.- Colour. Darker than the usual apricot jam and by a considerable margin.
2.- Consistency. Purée like. Though every now and then you get a chunk of the real thing more often than not you will eat a kind of apricot bechamel.
3.- Taste. First and foremost those who are not into sweet things are in for a good surprise. The jam is on the acid side of things. Second. There is a quince aftertaste and very noticeable at that.
All in all superb quality. An experience that all serious apricotist owes to himself.
Staud´s can be had here
http://www.austrianshop.com/frontend/sc ... ry=marille
And Ms. Ferber apricot jam here
http://en.edelices.com/sweets/jams-chri ... erber.html
Have a good day!
castiglione

Thu Oct 25, 2012 3:18 pm

David was very kind and took the initiative to send me a couple of Ms. Lambert´s apricot jams jars. I was surprised and delighted for after his praise of the product I was tantalized so to speak though also paralyzed for Ms. Lambert´s apricot is something of a surprise. Shipping and handling put the tag price a bit too high.
I guess the Swiss Mail is very glad to count with such generous sponsors. :wink:
Well, Ms Lambert´s apricots are indeed heavenly. Chunkier than Ferber´s, a tad on the sweet side but very likely the price to pay for a perfect match between vanilla and fruit. Let´s put it that way. If I were to have just apricot I would go for Ferber´s. If I wanted to have it with vanilla I would go for Lambert´s. No quince in the aftertaste and a strange family bond between the two ladies jams. Perhaps the common national origin. If I hit Geneva again one of the things I will put in my shopping list will be delikatessen from Reichmuth von Reding. They seem to be a treasure cove of unfoundable goodies. http://www.rvrtee.ch
Bye all. Back to my coffee and jam.
davidhuh

Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:19 pm

Dear Castiglione,

what a pleasure to hear from you! I'm happy you appreciate Ms Lambert's produce :D And you are correct about the supplier RvR - they do an amazing job, both in sourcing things and educating their clients.

Cheers, David
Dr T

Fri Nov 07, 2014 10:34 am

Im convinced - I need to take more afternoon tea - thanks for such an interesting read :D
  • Information