The knitted waistcoat

Frederic Leighton

Tue May 13, 2014 8:29 am

After Hectorm mentioned them in a post, here some photos of knitted waistcoats from the covers of knitting patterns of the 1920's-1950's (source: The Vintage Knitting Lady).

http://www.thevintageknittinglady.co.uk ... -407Ma.jpg

hectorm

Tue May 13, 2014 3:57 pm

Thank you Frederic for the photographs! Very enjoyable.
The buttoned knitted waistcoat is seldom seen nowadays and finding a decent RTW one it´s extremely difficult (as is also finding knitting ladies -or men). It´s a pity since I consider it a most practical garment, especially under a tweed jacket. I don´t particularly like the look without the coat on though. I´d rather wear a long sleeve cardigan then.
In case you don´t have that knitting lady in your life, Andrea Luparelli in his friendly Sartoria Ripense in Rome (3 blocks from Piazza del Popolo offers the unusual service of custom made knitted garments (mostly in fine cashmere), which I find extraordinary.
Frederic Leighton

Tue May 13, 2014 10:48 pm

Thank you, Hectorm, for your thoughts and recommendations. Very helpful, as I'm flying to Rome in two weeks time for an intensive 'pizza treatment' and to be measured - not by a funeral director yet; just a new shirtmaker. I'll make sure to forget cash and debit card in my hotel room when visiting Sartoria Ripense.

Unfortunately my aunty provided me of at least a dozen of cardigans that I was forced to wear in my early teens. Since then I really struggle to appreciate this garment. Nonetheless, her passion and dedication keep being a source of inspiration - she used to work 60 hours a week assembling and finishing fine pull-overs (*) and then spend her little spare time knitting cardigans for us. Today no more cardigans for me, thanks, but I still love knitted sleeveless pullovers to wear under a coat (**).

(*) I still remember visiting her every afternoon and spending at least half an hour jumping on the sea of white undyed angora and cashmere pullovers lying in piles of one-hundred each on the floor of her big workshop. So patient, my aunty :mrgreen:

(**) I actually started knitting one in pure linen for myself last week. In size 34 chest and at 120 stitches/square inch, it's a 80-hours job...
hectorm

Wed May 14, 2014 8:10 pm

Frederic Leighton wrote: I actually started knitting one in pure linen for myself last week. ....it's a 80-hours job...
Dear Frederic, what a coincidence!
By the way, on Savile Row anything that consumes 80-hours to put together would go for at least 3000 GBP. And in my line of work, we would charge for anything that takes 80-hours - around 27000 GBP. So, enjoy you vest! :)
And enjoy Rome and your visit to la Ripense. To step into the shop is certainly a temptation. But even if you leave the money at the hotel, I´m sure you´ll like talking to Andrea regarding the mutual subject of artisans in the families.
theoldesouth

Sat May 17, 2014 12:45 am

Handsome knitted waistcoats.

When your own project's done, hope to see a shot, or two, of the results. :)
Cufflink79

Fri May 30, 2014 10:01 pm

Thanks for sharing these great ads.

I currently have one knit waistcoat made by Robert Talbott.

It's cream colored and I enjoy wearing it with my tweed sport jacket.

Best Regards,

Cufflink79
  • Information