Giles Coren on London Fashion Week

"He had that supreme elegance of being, quite simply, what he was."

-C. Albaret describing Marcel Proust

Style, chic, presence, sex appeal: whatever you call it, you can discuss it here.
Melcombe

Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:20 am

I cannot imagine it's contentious here, to suggest that style and fashion are quite separate matters - yet none of us, Im sure, would deny an interest in the world of fashion as a global business. For my part, it's as a 'concerned parent' since my daughter is currently completing her degree in fashion studies. She seems more interested in the business side of things (to Dad's relief...) than the design bit, but through that connection, I must say I've developed a fairly jaundiced view of the modern world of haute couture.

I was therefore bowled over on reading an article by Giles Coren in The Times on this very subject. He is one of my favourite columnists - his restaurant reviews are often laugh-out-loud and his recent book 'How to Eat Out' is excellent. He is, I think, one of the most outspoken voices of his generation with a very fine turn of phrase, and a worthy son of the late Alan Coren. This article, despite being behind a paywall, has generated a deluge of comments, almost all in support of his analysis. In my view it is a brilliant indictment of the 'fashion business' as well as being an exemplar of an opinion piece.

His skill as a journalist is the one of the reasons Im a subscriber to the online version of The Times. I cannot recommend his work enough - so if that's enough plugging, I hope he would forgive any possible breach of copyright if I reproduce most of his article : I hope you enjoy it -
"What a week of rotten, simpering awfulness"

Well, thank God London Fashion Week is over for another season. Ye Gods, what a procession of vain lunacy and simpering dimness. What a mockery of all that is modest and decent. What a hideous picture of female priorities and preoccupations. What a nuclear explosion of vomitous superficiality, custom-made and hand-finished to blast the public perception of women back to the Stone Age.

It sickens me at the best of times to see those poor, emaciated girls staggering down the runway with their stomachs rumbling and their eyes sunken in from misery and hunger and boredom, their breath humming like dog food from the ketosis, and their bony ankles rolling over on shoes designed by woman-hating fops with silly hair and meaningless Sanskrit tattoos, whose every stitch is a blow struck at the gender they despise because they were not born into it, men who will end up suicides ­— because they always do — or shot dead or rasping abuse at Jews in late-night Paris bars, but in the meantime fill their days with the construction of supernaturally ugly garments that vast marketing operations will hypnotise women all over the world into thinking they want to buy (and the clothes are ugly — my wife has two kinds of outfit in her wardrobe, “nice” and “fashionable”, the twain neither meet nor even know the other is alive, so if she comes out for dinner looking a total fright, I know she is wearing serious kit that is bang on the moment, and if she comes out looking beautiful, I know she has just thrown on any old thing).

And in the front row, watching these poor, exploited anorexic women, mouths open, eyes aflame with cupidity, pictured on the front row of all the papers, every single goddamn day of London Fashion Week, the dregs of society’s shallowest echelon, gawping down the runway towards the cameras: pop singers, actors, TV presenters, footballers’ wives, the cast of Downton Abbey, Sienna Miller, Harry Styles, Alexa Chung, Kate Moss with her brutish pout and lobotomy eyes sitting with the rabbit-faced Jagger girl, Daisy Lowe, Sadie, Pixie, Suki . . . all dressed up like shiny bag-ladies in the things they get given for free that do not fit and look like crap anyway but will persuade people like you to buy them with money you do not have, for fear of missing out.
All of them, all these idiots, are complicit in proliferating the onanistic culture of disposability — this ludicrous fantasy that clothes should be thrown away and replaced every few months, though they have not worn out — that makes the big fashion houses and their gruesome commercial partners rich beyond your nightmares and leads directly, directly, to the exploitation of child workers in the developing world and the deaths of hundreds of impoverished souls every time their miserable factories collapse.

It is not initially at the top end that the damage is done: the eye-watering cost of “pieces” and concomitantly small number of consumers means that the social, environmental and human costs are relatively low (that small top tier was fashion’s only market for most of human history — albeit turning over more slowly, by the century at first, then by the decade, by the year, and now by the month, by the week . . .) but at the bottom end, where the emaciated values and grand fickleness of high fashion filter down to people who cannot afford more than a couple of quid a garment, that is where the damage is done.

That is where Primark and Matalan and Bonmarché come in, providing bog-cheap fashion for people with very little money who still want to throw away their clothes six times a year and start again, just like Gwyneth and Cara and Poppy, which means the clothes must be produced at labour costs beneath what is humanly decent, or even possible. Which means Bangladesh, children, hundreds dead or thousands, as at Rana Plaza in April this year. Fashion is a pretty face with a sick and rotten heart.

The British fashion industry will argue that LFW creates jobs. But so does war. So does cancer.

The fashion junkies will scream, “But London Fashion Week is a great spectacle!” And for whom do you suppose this spectacle is put on? It is sure as hell not for you. Here is The Times fashion editor, Laura Craik (whom I no more blame for the fashion industry, I should point out, than I blame Ann Treneman for our crappy government or myself for the awfulness of most restaurants) explaining in Wednesday’s paper why this is “London’s moment” for fashion: “Partly it’s because wealthy consumers are ever more obsessed with the new: that elite band of Russian, Chinese and Middle Eastern customers who can drop £2,000 on a dress . . . they want clothes that make a statement, and they find them in London.”

How does that make you feel? Does it make you feel proud that we can glean a few quid by putting on a show for the molls of foreign gangsters? That Russian, Chinese and Saudi “businessmen” who have made their fortunes raping the natural resources of their lawless homelands, exploiting their prehistoric employment legislation and revelling in the money-making opportunities afforded by their dismal human rights records, can send their wives to Britain — when they are bored with their moaning and want more time with their mistresses and catamites — on the pretext that it’s a good place to buy dresses? Beautiful, expensive, “statement” dresses, that are these women’s only compensation for the sad, powerless, cosseted and miserable lives into which their determination to marry a rich man has delivered them?

For make no mistake, those are the people all this is for. These sad, anorexic girls hobbling up and down the catwalks under the gaze of airhead actresses and middle-aged writers and celebrities who should know better than to “team” (hateful new verb of the fashion kakistocracy) biker boots with a miniskirt and show off their ancient knees . . . it is for the foreign criminals who own our country now but do not live in it, who buy up our loveliest houses in our loveliest London squares and then leave them to appreciate on the market while festering in the flesh, with nothing but a lonely Filipina maid standing guard, staring timidly out of a top-floor window, phone in hand, ready to call the private armed response firm if a security light comes on.

London Fashion Week is the grease on the cogs of the global machine that ensures that rich foreign money gets spent on pointless things and Third World paupers keep on dying. And it is the fault of women.

This is how women are destroying the world. Men may be doing it with nerve gas and complex financial instruments, but women are doing it with fashion. After all, they do not dress for us. They dress for each other. They are always saying so. And to create the endless supply of clothes that women need to show each other how nice their clothes are today, the global catastrophe of fashion must be perpetuated.

It may be true that if women ruled the world there would be no wars. But if men ruled the world, there would be no fashion. And the outcome for the greater part of humanity would be very much the same.
Luca

Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:35 pm

Ah. A reminder of why I don't normally read 'columnists'. Funny in bits but drenched in the bitterest bile. As silly as London Fashion Week is, it is merely a marketing exercise which does not conflate with Coren's apparent nostalgia for "pre-bling" London; a place of such unmitigated grimness and dinginess that the net emigration was at Detroit levels.
No one but their acolytes likes the dubious super-rich, but they should be understood as the outlier, tail-of-the-distribution by-product of the altogether wonderful emergence of London as one of the most elegant, luxurious, beautiful cities in the world.
davidhuh

Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:49 pm

Dear Melcombe,

bitter, but great - thank you for posting this. It should be a must read.

Cheers, David
couch

Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:41 pm

Overstated, perhaps, and bilious certainly. I must admit, however, that when my more doctrinaire leftist friends look askance at a bespoke garment, it gives them pause when I tell them that whenever possible I prefer to spend a larger portion of my income on the work of non-alienated labor by a skilled craftsman who earns a decent wage and owns his own means of production and distribution, rather than that of alienated third-world factory workers exploited by multinational corporations. One could argue that every doctrinally consistent Marxist should support tailors. Then there would eventually be more of them and their production would be within reach of more customers--a virtuous circle. The paucity of doctrinally consistent Marxists these days is, from this perspective, perhaps to be regretted.

But this observation does reveal that the same logic of fashion-as-exploitation in Coren's essay applies equally to trainers/sneakers, hoodies, ball caps, drop-waisted jeans and shin-dragging sports "trunks" etc., all worn by (mostly young) men and marketed by the male equivalent of anorexic models--sport and entertainment celebrities, who have often done equally extreme and unhealthy things to their bodies to reach a position where they are in demand as endorsers and spokesmen for their corporate sponsors. (This is of course in addition to readers of GQ etc.) Anyone with exposure to boys and youth in urban cultures can attest that large sums are spent at short intervals, often by people who can ill afford it, to keep up with the latest apparel trends. In some places in my city, wearing the wrong shoes (or the right ones) can get you shot dead. So in popular-culture terms, men are equally blameworthy--or equally mystified and enslaved, depending on your perspective--as women. The column's unexamined assumptions about the behavior of males as a class seem more than a bit misogynist.

Nike's market cap is $61.76B, VF Corp's (Timberland, Vans, North Face, Wrangler, NFL, etc.) is $22.3B. By comparison, Ralph Lauren is $15.41B. LVMH's, with its entire stable of fashion and luxury brands, is Euros 62B, and HMV group's is £8.22B. So the scale of the business of creating and satisfying the desire among men to be fashionable is certainly comparable to that for women, and probably growing faster. And much of the product is made in comparable factories in the same countries.

One of Coren's underlying points (lying far under, perhaps)--that it might be good for style, good for health, good for the planet, and good for economic diversity if more people took a more circumspect and responsible view of how clothes function in our lives and acted accordingly--is surely consistent with the ethos of the LL (to the extent one can ascribe a collective ethos to it) and no doubt part of Melcombe's motivation in sharing it. But Coren's choice of rhetorical strategies to argue the point is excessive and regrettable. But then, as a writer myself, I can attest that creating and satisfying desire (the desire to read, and fund the publisher's vehicle via its paywall) is Coren's job, and itself subject to trends. Current fashions favor "lively" and "exciting" writing and punditry: provocative, polarizing, polemical, and ultimately shallow. And indeed Coren provokes--witness the "deluge" of comments and this post. But I wonder: does he realize that this kind of writing is to thoughtful, careful analysis and elegant style as a John Galliano fantasy is to a bespoke suit or a classic Givenchy gown? Isn't there a proverb about glass houses?

I doubt that our member, lxlloyd, who has shared with us fascinating glimpses of the actual craftsmanship that goes into couture as well as some of her own more fanciful designs, actually hates women, in spite of her engagement with Paris fashion. I'd love to hear her views on the excesses and virtues of fashion weeks and Coren's column in general.
Melcombe

Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:26 am

Thanks for your thoughtful comments – I think I would be first to say that Coren is fairly strong meat – but as journalism goes, he is (IMHO) in the top percentile : a good deal of his reviews are what might be termed eloquent rants, they certainly aren’t literature. I regularly think ‘you can’t say that!’ when of course he just did. And in print. How lucky we are in the West to walk daily in the fresh air of free speech.

As to the substance of what he says (or, rather, overstates) I think there is a streak of truth in that there are some design initiatives promoted by some designers that seek to exploit a herd mentality in an unthinking market segment. Along the way, people do get hurt : and reporting that is a worthy cause to expound.

For all that, none of the most notorious avant-garde designers would have any kind of a business were it not for the legions of artisans and small business folk who represent the mainstay of ‘couture’.

The regret must be that the 7-year apprenticed saddler who stitched the £2,000 handbag using the oak bark tanned hides from the last craft tanners in Europe gets paid a tiny fraction of the retail price received – the vast bulk of which is funding an advertising behemoth.

In some respects, I cannot but be impressed by the ability of some brands to sell poor design and shoddy workmanship at a high price – although I'm not sure I admire them. As a principle, shouldn’t most markets be constrained only by the sentiment of buyers, avoidance of monopolies and the enforceability of contracts?

Having said that, no one forces models to pursue a modelling career, nor obliges the wives and girlfriends of millionaires to indulge in questionable taste. I'm happy with that, but I'm happier that the likes of Coren question it.

Regards

David

PS – I do hope no one here thinks I was seeking to stoke a response with the OP, I did presume that TSOS was the ideal audience to share what I thought to be a genuine ‘find’.
hectorm

Tue Sep 24, 2013 2:55 pm

Melcombe wrote: I do hope no one here thinks I was seeking to stoke a response with the OP, I did presume that TSOS was the ideal audience to share what I thought to be a genuine ‘find’.
Not for a second have we thought ill of your post, David. TSoS is indeed a great venue for sharing this pertinent kind of articles.
As for Coren´s piece, I find that the undeniable bits of truth inlaid in the note get obscured -not enhanced- by his meretricious prose.
vancehn

Tue Sep 24, 2013 3:17 pm

Oh, how civilized life would be when people did not speak in acronyms
hectorm

Tue Sep 24, 2013 4:57 pm

vancehn wrote:Oh, how civilized life would be when people did not speak in acronyms
My apologies, vancehn. TSOS: The Structure of Style, one of our fora at the LL :) .
By the way, the use (not the abuse that turns your text into an alphabet soup) of a few well known acronyms which are constantly repeated in a thread is not considered uncivilized in the world of internet writing.
vancehn

Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:51 pm

hectorm wrote:in the world of internet writing.
The WHAT ?

Irrelevant of the enviroment one finds himself, civilisation is one of the indispensable pillars that make what we are.
hectorm

Wed Sep 25, 2013 3:17 pm

vancehn wrote: The WHAT ?
Irrelevant of the enviroment one finds himself, civilisation is one of the indispensable pillars that make what we are.
"What" in bold and uppercase? In the world of internet writing: you are screaming in an uncivilized manner.
As for your "civilisation" with s instead of z, well....I believe it´s self-explanatory.
vancehn

Wed Sep 25, 2013 4:28 pm

hectorm wrote:"What" in bold and uppercase? In the world of internet writing: you are screaming in an uncivilized manner.
As for your "civilisation" with s instead of z, well....I believe it´s self-explanatory.
Since it is not my intention to change the original post, I'll leave it as it is.

With a "s" since we Dutch have to translate everything into Englizh, or worse: Amerikan,
I count my blessings ( triple s ) for one grammatical error in 3 years and re-direct my attention
to the topic on hand.
  • Information