grey herringbone suits

What you always wanted to know about Elegance, but were afraid to ask!
alexeberlin

Sat Aug 17, 2013 10:51 pm

Now that my weight has stabilised to something I'm happy with I'm about to order two suits from a local tailor. This is my first serious attempt at doing this. I already know that one will be a navy pinstripe. For the other I'm thinking of a narrow grey herringbone.
Obviously I'll be led by the tailor's experience and what fabric he has available but does anyone have thoughts as to whether herringbone is too informal for a three piece suit. I work in a creative environment so some informality, even idiosyncracy, is allowed.
At the moment I've merely made an appointment to meet the tailor. I would welcome any advice.
Thank you.
Simon A

Sun Aug 18, 2013 4:25 am

Sounds good to me. Herringbone is not commonly seen in RTW suits and I think it is a pity, it is a classic and offers some interesting contrast without being obtrusive or flashy. I have a winter travel suit in this pattern and colour, and I love it.
alden

Sun Aug 18, 2013 10:14 am

The grey herringbone suit is the nec plus ultra of chic. I have quite a few in my wardrobe and just handed over a stunning vintage RAF blue herringbone from H. Lesser Golden Bale flannel to my tailor.

The larger the herringbone the more informal the look.

A small herringbone is good choice for the work environment. There are quite a few in the LL Fox Flannel book. The best worsteds I have seen are in the Steadfast book by Smith Woolens. You really cannot go wrong.

The larger herringbones in the tweedy set are also full of charisma. If you are in the creative field, these may be perfectly acceptable.

Cheers
MRJ

Sun Aug 18, 2013 10:23 am

I think a plain navy suit can look very smart. However I generally prefer my suits to have some visual interest. A worsted small herringbone 3 piece will look highly professional in a mid grey. As Alden says some of the larger more rustic designs might be acceptable in your field but no one can complain about a properly fitted worsted
aston

Sun Aug 18, 2013 6:16 pm

Definitely agree with Michael's view on the Smith herringbone; dry, sturdy cloth that made up beautifully and, four or five years in, still looks and feels great.
alexeberlin

Tue Aug 20, 2013 12:21 am

thank you for your considered and helpful input. If anyone is interested I could keep the board updated about my progress?
theoldesouth

Tue Aug 20, 2013 4:47 am

Looking forward to updates, Alex! :lol:
alexeberlin

Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:13 pm

I'm unsure why that's hilarious but you're welcome
theoldesouth

Wed Aug 21, 2013 4:24 am

:oops: …Thought you were kidding about anyone being interested and was laughing along.

Sincerely looking forward to following your project's progress. :)
alexeberlin

Mon May 12, 2014 11:29 am

I'm now in possession of a grey herringbone three piece ( as well as a couple of other suits). I'm attempting to write a clear history of the fascinating, addictive and occasionally frustrating tailoring process, which I'll post here shortly.
I would like to thank the board members who supported the choice of grey herringbone. While I await the reaction of board members more knowledgable than myself with trepidation, I must say that I love the suit and the fabric.
Luca

Mon May 12, 2014 12:26 pm

I see that the original post was in August of last year. Would it be rude to inquire as to just how long it took for the suit to be completed?
alexeberlin

Thu Jun 05, 2014 11:52 am

Luca wrote:I see that the original post was in August of last year. Would it be rude to inquire as to just how long it took for the suit to be completed?
Forgive me. I'm not on here often, I didn't notice your reply. The suit did not take all that time to complete..I got a job away shortly after the August posting and the commisioning of the suit was delayed.
  • Information