The city with the best climate best and best facilities

Discuss travel, watches, gastronomy, wines, boats and all other aspects of the Elegant life
RWS

Mon Sep 08, 2008 3:59 am

[Redundant posting.]
Last edited by RWS on Mon Sep 08, 2008 4:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
RWS

Mon Sep 08, 2008 4:00 am

Some of my favorite cities (Paris, Vienna, a few others) have already been named, together with a couple I don't like and at least one or two (Seville, among them) I know nothing about first-hand. For those I do have experience of, I'd add Geneva, Valparaíso, and San Francisco (though no longer so liveable as once it was); and, though I've never been there, Saint Petersburg does appeal to me through story and picture (whether any of the once vigorous intellectual society remains, I don't know; perhaps our fellow Loungers in Moscow could tell us). And, small though it is, I might for sentimental reasons mention Winchester.
Frog in Suit

Mon Sep 08, 2008 7:38 am

To reply to Guille's post about the closeness of Sevillan society, I remember the only time I was there with my family, as tourists. We had lunch in the center of town, in a side street across from a couture house (very discreet shop with a small tasteful window display, with no view inside from the street, almost like a discreet private club). As we were lunching, a BMW stopped at the corner (we were on a pedestrian-only street) and disgorged (I really mean that he chauffeur opened the door for her) a very old lady, dressed (and coiffed and made up) to the nines. She tottered slowly to the door of the establishment where she was welcomed by the staff (at least two women, I seem to recall) at he door. She was let in,and the door shut. I felt we had been given one short glimpse into a very traditional and moneyed world where ladies spend their time getting fitted, receiving their friends, a throwback really to a long-gone era (pre WW!?) so far removed from the tourists like us rushing from la Giralda to the Alcazar in a forlorn and frantic attempt to "see everything".

I think one of the best ways to integrate into a city (or a neighbourhood) is to have school-age children and get involved with the school. Of course, this is a long-time commitment as they take forever to grow up and leave home, but you can keep up the acquaintance with other parents long after the children have left. :wink:

Frog in Suit
marcelo

Mon Sep 08, 2008 1:39 pm

Frog in Suit wrote:I think one of the best ways to integrate into a city (or a neighbourhood) is to have school-age children and get involved with the school. Of course, this is a long-time commitment as they take forever to grow up and leave home, but you can keep up the acquaintance with other parents long after the children have left.
True. It does correspond to the experience my wife and I have had over the last years on both sides of the Atlantic. And it is also interesting to notice that, among very small children, the most enduring reference they have of a distant city are the other children they have met there.
sartorius

Mon Sep 08, 2008 7:05 pm

I've lived in Oxford for a couple of summers and I've found it a marvellous place. A beautiful town, with a lot of medieval mystery in its corners. It’s society is obviously young, but well-receiving, educated and respectful. I felt that everything in Oxford was pure Englishness, from the cheesecakes, to the afternoons rowing a boat and reading a book on the Thames river (knowing that you could go to London following the current but knowing you wouldn’t want to do so even if you got a bespoke savile row suit for free), passing through getting lost in the forest on a rainy day and having tea after a tennis match on a grass court. I loved the Oxford summer, nice temperatures and very humid (rain and dense vegetation), which, compared to Madrid’s dry, 40ºC and more, and Spanish steppe’s absence of vegetation, is quite comforting. Nothing else to mention, apart from the obvious things like the abundance of cultural activity and historically interesting locations/events (not to miss Blenheim palace, twice as good in every aspect of palaces than Buckingham, in my humble opinion), and the proximity to London for business, travel, or other needs.
Ah, Oxford. A truly unique place. There is no better sight than the view from Magdalen Bridge as the sun sets on an autumn evening just as the lamps light up. And can there be a city anywhere which has provided the backdrop to so many great novels and films? The Covered Market offers fresh produce of all kinds, wonderful game, meat and fish, and of course one can stay at Le Manoir aux Quatre Saisons, Raymond Blanc's Michellin starred hotel just outside the city, if one wants top quality fare from the best of our francophile restaurateurs. Yes, Oxford is one of the most romantic cities on the planet and I know of no-where quite like it.
storeynicholas

Mon Sep 08, 2008 7:14 pm

A paean of praise to Oxford by Sir Arthur Quiller-Couch:

http://www.online-literature.com/quille ... -venus/15/

NJS
Bishop of Briggs

Mon Sep 08, 2008 7:17 pm

Guile wrote "Second, it is extremely hard to fit into the Sevillian society, it is very small-minded and anyone who is not from there".

The same can be said about Edinburgh, Bath, Harrogate and York.
storeynicholas

Mon Sep 08, 2008 7:23 pm

Bishop of Briggs wrote:Guile wrote "Second, it is extremely hard to fit into the Sevillian society, it is very small-minded and anyone who is not from there".

The same can be said about Edinburgh, Bath, Harrogate and York.
I lived for a while at Tresillian Bridge, a hamlet between St Austell and Truro, mainly remarkable for the fact that the Civil War ended there and the Inn where the peace was concluded (The Wheel Inn - excellent cod and chips on Fridays) - anyway - this is about 12 miles from my home town - and they used to tease me that I was a 'foreigner'. It was really just teasing but they do regard outsiders with suspicion in many places. On the positive side, it shows that there is a sense of community.
NJS
SMCK

Sun May 26, 2013 6:54 am

I Have been looking for information on Seville through the eyes of this forum, and this seems to be the nearest.

I am planning to visit here for a few days. Is there anything of sartorial interest in Seville that should not be missed?
Miles Messervy

Mon May 27, 2013 3:17 pm

marcelo wrote:
Frog in Suit wrote:I think one of the best ways to integrate into a city (or a neighbourhood) is to have school-age children and get involved with the school. Of course, this is a long-time commitment as they take forever to grow up and leave home, but you can keep up the acquaintance with other parents long after the children have left.
True. It does correspond to the experience my wife and I have had over the last years on both sides of the Atlantic. And it is also interesting to notice that, among very small children, the most enduring reference they have of a distant city are the other children they have met there.
That's my experience as well. I have two daughters at primary school and the interaction with other parents and the educational institutions has been intense in two coutries we've lived in. Also, one of those being Italy, they were usually pampered by waiters and restaurant owners... not a bad deal, after all!
hectorm

Mon May 27, 2013 11:05 pm

SMCK wrote:Is there anything of sartorial interest in Seville that should not be missed?
Taking "sartorial" in a broad sense: my wife would say that the Manila silk shawls (mantón de Manila) are worth the trip. She also bought Flamenca dresses (costume-like) for our small nieces.
mrleiter

Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:25 pm

Well, as I live in Vienna, I wish to add some more aspects. Climate is very central European. You get cold, snowy and dry winters, rainy springs, not too hot summers and a very romantic and windy autumn.
What I very much appreciate about Wien and miss in other cities is the well known "Kaffehauskultur". I've been living there for 2 years now and I still haven't been to all cafés. There is literally one in every corner.

Milen, the chef bar keeper of Loos Bar is a truly capable and knowledgable man and the bar itself is just around Stephansdom, though during the day you don't get many tourists (luckily).
schmayck

Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:28 am

Vienna is absolutely a wonderful city to live in, the proximity to eastern europe give it a bit of a different charm than some other germanic cities. Zürich is of course excellent as well, but sometimes one has the impression that maybe there is too much money concentrated there.

Barcelona has to be included on any such list. Location, climate, architecture, food, style, culture...the catalans can be a bit exclusivistic as well but if you make an effort to learn the language they are pleasant.
Dr T

Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:38 pm

London, London and London. The best city in the world -everthing that a gentleman requires is in, or close to St James. Aha - its a pity about the climate.
  • Information