Watches

Discuss travel, watches, gastronomy, wines, boats and all other aspects of the Elegant life
Slewfoot

Thu May 09, 2013 6:37 pm

Yes, agreed regarding the straps. For me it did come down to price. I just couldn't justify anything with four figures when I'm not a "watch guy" but I did want something in the style of old classics from the 50's. It serves its purpose well and for that I like it. Would I much prefer a higher artisinal handmade watch? Of course. But not now. Maybe one day.
hectorm

Thu May 09, 2013 7:01 pm

Melcombe wrote: how much of the pleasure of owning and using (wearing) an item is derived from
(a) its pure functionality
(b) emotional attachment, and
(c) how much from the reputation of its provenance.
I have not been following watch fora out there, but I wonder why you didn´t include a purely aesthetical consideration among the causes you like to explore.
vancehn

Fri May 10, 2013 11:46 am

hectorm wrote: I have not been following watch fora out there, but I wonder why you didn´t include a purely aesthetical consideration among the causes you like to explore.

Hear, hear !
Melcombe

Sat May 11, 2013 3:13 pm

hectorm wrote:
Melcombe wrote: how much of the pleasure of owning and using (wearing) an item is derived from
(a) its pure functionality
(b) emotional attachment, and
(c) how much from the reputation of its provenance.
I have not been following watch fora out there, but I wonder why you didn´t include a purely aesthetical consideration among the causes you like to explore.
Good point! Although maybe its not so much a separate point to add onto my little list, as a broader, catch-all matter? Forgive me, but I've just been on a frightful management training course where they were extolling the "Power of 3" as a lever of emphasis, and Ive obviously been taking more of it on board than I thought (or, frankly, wanted...)

I think perhaps with watches, at least, there is a tendency to take aesthetics for granted, inasmuch as you will (unless you were able to commission a design from scratch) be buying into someone else's design aesthetic. Not a problem in principle, and not least because the design process will have gone through so many revisions before the final product, that the end result will be at worst merely inoffensive, but quite possibly a very pleasant outcome - but rarely unique.

In the world of watches there are many "classic" models (perhaps defined by subsequent imitators) but some that spring to mind are really quite a plain design : Cartier Tank (Francaise), Rolex Sub, Blancpain 50 Fathoms, IWC Mk XII (& plenty more). Its difficult to spot a common factor to their success, except that they tend towards the simple, functional , pared down to the essentials design. There is a real beauty in that simplicity.

This is indeed the point where Im still struggling a bit : let me try to explain. A watch like an IWC has a beautiful simplicity to it. It is a design based on a pilots watch where function was the principal consideration, but the resulting design is beautifully balanced. It is discreet, yet striking. It also costs an arm and a leg, even 2nd hand. There is a retailer in the UK called Timefactors (no connection to me) who commissions what watch enthusiasts call (charitably maybe) 'homages'; they look like the classic, but are not intended to be passed off as such - they are certainly not fakes. He has a Mk XII 'lookalike' that uses really top quality parts - arguably his 'version' is actually better than the IWC in a technical sense and you'd have to compare the 2 side by side to spot any differences (apart from the absence of the tiny IWC logo). It retails at about 20% of the IWC.

So... You've decided that you can't live without a pilots watch and the Mk XII is the design icon. Do you splash out the price of a week's holiday in Sorrento for an IWC, or the cost of a weekend away in Fowey on the price of a Timefactors' Speedbird. For me, I'd unhesitatingly go for the latter (I would have my watch - and bunce towards a trip to the Amalfi Coast) but I can sort of understand the point of view of those who just have to have the Real Deal - I suspect their decision would give full consideration to my points (a) - (c) - as well as being set against a general point of the aesthetic.

Ive used the example of a watch since this is a watch thread, but you might agree with me that the same issues come up in the context of attire. For my part I am entirely happy with my tailor's approach to his trade - he's not out of Huntsman via Dege & Skinner, but his (soft tailoring) results are very agreeable to my eye, and in addition, I do get a pleasure from knowing that my garment was discussed with him at length, I was guided through a choice of cut and fabrics (&, away from some rather unsuitable examples...) by the gentleman who makes the clothing himself in his own workshop, and who wouldn't let it go out the door unless he was happy with it. Aesthetics are indeed the context, but for me, function and emotion are very important.

Regards

David
Last edited by Melcombe on Mon May 13, 2013 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hectorm

Mon May 13, 2013 8:01 pm

Melcombe wrote: I think perhaps with watches, at least, there is a tendency to take aesthetics for granted, ........
Thank you David for your notes.
Obviously you have been dwelling (no watch pun intended) on this subjects for a while already and I appreciated your thoughts.
See you around.
theoldesouth

Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:55 pm

If I or a friend were presently in the market for a fine mechanical watch that's still somewhat 'reasonably' priced, my first choice would be a Rolex Datejust. There're several configurations to select from. If it was to be my one and only, I'd be drawn to a simple and legible example.
mrleiter

Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:03 am

I felt it was time that some pictures find its way into this thread. So please, go ahead, and share your timepieces.

This is a Jaeger-LeCoultre Master Control Geographic in Steel. At 39mm it has a fairly modern size, yet not bigger than the trend nowadays. It is very beautifully crafted and feels good on the wrist. There are 24 time zones and a power reserve of roughly 43 hours.

bond_and_beyond

Tue Sep 03, 2013 5:54 pm

Great looking watch! Where was the photo taken btw? Something about the building in the background that seems familiar..

BB
mrleiter

Tue Sep 03, 2013 6:31 pm

bond_and_beyond wrote:Great looking watch! Where was the photo taken btw? Something about the building in the background that seems familiar..

BB
Thank you. It was taken in Liechtenstein.
soren

Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:15 pm

mrleiter wrote: So please, go ahead, and share your timepieces.
Ok then, here is mine (admittedly, straight out of the box)

Great looking JLC by the way!

Cheers,
Soren
theoldesouth

Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:48 pm

Jaeger and IWC. A handsome pair of watches, you two!

I'd like to contribute a shot, or two, but haven't sorted how to post pictures here yet. :roll:
Naples or London?

Thu Dec 05, 2013 8:53 pm

Both the JLC and the IWC are great watches - many congrats and much enjoyment to you both wearing them. I have just been through the process of trying to decide on what "keeper" to go for and have plumped for something I did not expect when I started on the journey. I have ordered an Omega Speedmaster Moonwatch in the original vein (although new and not vintage) - plexiglass, not saffire crystal front and back. A true classic chronometer that can be dressed up or down depending on the strap used. I know that many of you good gents would balk at a chronometer with a suit, but as I tend to wear odd jackets mostly.....forgive me. I will try to post pictures upon arrival.

Saluti!
Paul
theoldesouth

Sun Dec 08, 2013 12:24 am

The 'Moon Watch' is a wonderful choice, Paul!

And it looks fantastic on a strap.

By the way, the original configuration of the watch, at least as currently produced, is not a chronometer, but a chronograph. (Although there are newer versions also in production equipped with Omega's in-house chronograph movement which are chronometers.)

A chronometer is typically thought of as a watch whose movement (i.e., the mechanism inside that performs the timekeeping) has been 'officially' certified for accuracy by an independent testing entity, such as by the COSC, the Swiss chronometry authority. Often, the movement is identical to its non-chronometer equivalent but for having been certified. Although it's also possible that its components have been upgraded and/or its 'regulation' improved (i.e., the timekeeping has been more carefully fine-tuned for accuracy and precision).

By contrast, a chronograph measures intervals of time on demand. A stopwatch for the wrist.

Congratulation, you picked up just the version that I've long coveted! :wink:
Naples or London?

Sun Dec 08, 2013 5:49 pm

Apologies- exposing my lack of knowledge re: chronometer vs chronograph. As always I learn more and more each time I post here! Very much looking forward to this watch incoming- I shall try to post some pictures when it arrives. Best wishes Paul
theoldesouth

Mon Dec 09, 2013 12:37 am

Superb watch, Paul! :)
  • Information