Life of Bespoke Shoes

"The brute covers himself, the rich man and the fop adorn themselves, the elegant man dresses!"

-Honore de Balzac

rodes

Thu Mar 21, 2013 1:15 pm

We have previously had this discussion for suits and I cannot recall a similar one for shoes. What would be a reasonable expectation for the life of a bespoke pair? How about a well crafted rtw pair such as Edward Green?
culverwood

Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:34 pm

Bespoke shoes last as long as any other good quality shoe treated the same way unless looked after like the old broom. "Maintained it for 20 years, this old broom's had 17 new heads and 14 new handles in its time."
hectorm

Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:49 pm

Oh Rodes, there are so many considerations.
Just to start, since good shoes can be resoled many times, their heels replaced, and the insides recrafted (there is nothing similar -by a mile- you could do even to the best of bespoke suits), their life´s span equals the life of their leather uppers. For bespoke shoes (or Edward Green´s by the way), it would not be unreasonable to expect from 20 to 30 years of good service depending on the rotation, if well mantained. I would be tempted to say that good shoes can last forever, but now that I´m older I have witnessed that at a certain point, if the shoes are kept in use, the upper would start cracking and the coveted patina will turn into just an old worn shoe look.
davidhuh

Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:27 pm

Agree with Hector. My oldest RTW from good old Church's are 30 years old by now. A bit broken on the surface, but sooo comfortable to wear and charming :D

I would expect nothing less from bespoke. The ones I have are of much younger age, but behave the same way.

cheers, David
vincentporsiempre

Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:19 am

I am sure most of you are familiar with Prince Charles' 40 years old shoes, but here is a reminder

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/artic ... cling.html

In the second link you can see some of the patching:

http://the-shoe-aristocat.blogspot.co.u ... spoke.html
hectorm

Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:36 pm

hectorm wrote: I would be tempted to say that good shoes can last forever, but now that I´m older I have witnessed that at a certain point, if the shoes are kept in use, the upper would start cracking and the coveted patina will turn into just an old worn shoe look.
vincentporsiempre wrote:I am sure most of you are familiar with Prince Charles' 40 years old shoes
Prince Charles´s shoes might be the perfect example of longevity of bespoke footwear that rodes was inquiring for on the starting post. But IMHO those shoes, however comfortable, don´t look good anymore and, while the patches on the uppers might be endearing, they don´t make for an elegant figure. I think the shoes already turned the corner I was referring to in my own quote above.
  • Information