Mersolair linen for suit?

"The brute covers himself, the rich man and the fop adorn themselves, the elegant man dresses!"

-Honore de Balzac

Tommi

Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:15 pm

Does anyone have experience on a suit or jacket made of Harrisons of Edinburgh Mersolair linen (300 grams)? I would like to hear your experiences since I'm not sure if that would be a good (and inexpensive) choice for summer garments.
Russell

Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:08 pm

Hello Tommi,

I’ve no experience with the Harrisons linen but as regards your comment - ”inexpensive”, at a guess it’s likely to cost around the same (or more) as the John G Hardy linen from Huddersfield Fine Worsteds (they have a website). Therefore you’ll be close to the price of the London Lounge linen which really is superb cloth.

Whilst the Harrisons cloth would likely be a reasonable choice (Harrisons don’t sell bad cloth), I’d personally go for the LL Linen. I’ve ‘road tested’ a pair of trousers made from the LL Brule ‘suiting’ linen in Asia for a few weeks recently (35 C/94 F) & was delighted with it. It was no hotter to wear than other trousers which used a looser weave of linen plus it was noticeably more resistant to creasing (albeit still attaining the ‘linen-look’ we love). It shows every sign of being very durable as well.

Regards

Russell
rogiercreemers

Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:36 pm

If ordered from Harrison direct, Mersolair is about a third less expensive than the Hardy linen, and about a third of the LL linen. I have no experience with Mersolair direct, but all the other Harrison/P&H fabrics I know have not disappointed. You could also consider Dugdale linen.
Tommi

Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:22 pm

Thank you for recommendations!

LL Linen would be my first choice but the price is a bit too high for me right now. Since Harrisons offers linen for such an inexpensive price, I think it's my only alternative right now.
davidhuh

Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:40 pm

Dear Tommi,

go for Mersolair, you will not regret it. I had a suit and several trousers made up from the Mersolair bunch last summer, before the LL linen was available. The suit in particular is getting a lot of praise.

cheers, David
dkst

Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:19 am

Can't speak for the Harrisons' linen but I have had good experience with Hardy's linen. Weighing a bit more, it is very robust and actually feels heavier than a wool worsted of similar weight. I imagine it creases less than the flimsier options. Dugdale is a bit lighter I believe also.

You will be cool by virtue of the fiber and the open weave. Go for the bit of extra weight and body. I would love to try the LL linen some day.
bertie

Sun Jan 13, 2013 6:01 pm

I have a two year old jacket from the Harrisons linen and can only say good things about it. It is heavier than what you usually find in retail and keeps its shape amazingly well. I intend to get a couple of suits made up this year or next.
  • Information