Following members' advice ...

What you always wanted to know about Elegance, but were afraid to ask!
marburyvmadison

Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:58 pm

Concordia, you're quite right.

Here's the second fitting. After this, he cuts the actual cloth. Sleeves will be lengthened.

*Same shirt worn for consistency. Yes, I know, my shirt collar :lol:

Last edited by marburyvmadison on Thu Nov 29, 2012 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
old henry

Thu Nov 29, 2012 4:20 pm

fantastic
marburyvmadison

Thu Nov 29, 2012 5:04 pm

old henry wrote:fantastic
Glad you think so. I'm quite pleased. Makes me look far more athletic than I really am. I have a non-existent chest, so not much hour glass shape to speak of.

The only foreseeable problem is when I'm with the lady, and she sees me without my coat.
Concordia

Thu Nov 29, 2012 5:20 pm

You keep the coat on over dinner, and then remove it after dark. 8)

I still can't decide from the photo angle if it is too short, but in every other respect it is quite stunning. Good to know.
marburyvmadison

Thu Nov 29, 2012 5:48 pm

I think it might still be short to conservative tastes. BUT, I have had it lengthened, and I do think this is about as long as I will go :lol:

Hoping that with the actual heavier cloth, it'll drape even better.

Nice point on removing the coat in the dark.
old henry

Thu Nov 29, 2012 6:59 pm

for me it is still much too short.
the patch pockets will be out of place this short.
i wonder what MrAlden thinks about this length with patch pockets.
but this is a style issue.
all else is on the mark.
hectorm

Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:18 pm

marburyvmadison wrote: I have a non-existent chest, so not much hour glass shape to speak of.
But your tailor is doing a great job disguising that.
Your jacket looks definitely better now with more open quarters and the extra inch (?) of length.
Maybe -fine tunning- you could consider whether the patch pockets are placed a bit too low (or if they are too big).
marburyvmadison

Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:42 pm

Thank you for the advice :)

Will update with pictures of the completed suit. Seeing how well this coat has fit, I'm tempted to drop a larger order.
alden

Sat Dec 01, 2012 7:47 am

Seeing how well this coat has fit, I'm tempted to drop a larger order.
That would be an error. Place small orders in the beginning. Every order will evolve with the tailor's knowledge of you and your knowledge of you. Your taste will evolve. Someday soon you will consider this suit something to garden in. So go slow. Remember your experience with the shirts. :D

Cheers
alden

Sat Dec 01, 2012 7:54 am

wonder what MrAlden thinks about this length with patch pockets
Frank,

From a styling point of view I find it difficult to render any judgement. The photo does not show me much. You can see some of the tailoring detail but to see the overall effect the photo has to be different. I once posted an article on how photos of suits should be taken..will have to dig that one out.

MvM should get himself outside and take three shots at a moderate distance: front, side and back. Yes, Frank, the back and side shot is what we want to see...those shots tell the whole, inescapabale truth. 8) Any tailor can put up an acceptable front... :D

Cheers
old henry

Sat Dec 01, 2012 2:31 pm

True, True, True, Michael.
The chest volume is very nicely done.
Every suit should be gardened at least once. I like that line.
Gido

Sat Dec 01, 2012 5:02 pm

I think it would also help to have the camera at a lower position and/or further away, in a straight 90 degrees angle to your body. So that the proportions are not distorted in a trapezium from facing down.
old henry

Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:01 pm

Please do not go with this length.
Lengthen at least 1in and place patch 1/2" above hem.
Please.
culverwood

Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:57 am

This picture of Patrick Grant shows a similar attitude to length and patch pockets.
http://journal.stylealphabet.com/dress- ... hind-them/
Rowly

Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:30 pm

Although it can be difficult to tell from pics, IMHO the jacket is much too short. From behind it will look bad if it does not cover the buttocks...any rear pics? Also, whether it is the way you stand or not, your left sleeve looks much too short and out of balance with the right. Forget the tape, go with the eye. You may have a dropped shoulder, which you can take account of in your next project, but you can, at least, lengthen your left sleeve, for now.
By bringing these matters to your Tailor's attention in a firm but diplomatic way, he will respect you and will be likely to have more focus on giving you good service, going forward.
In any case, I hope your final result gives you great pleasure. These are only my opinions. As always, I defer to the expert knowledge and experience of Old Henry, and would urge you to do the same. Good luck with it!....Rowly.
  • Information