Stanley Ager's 'The Butler's Guide' reissued this week

Discuss travel, watches, gastronomy, wines, boats and all other aspects of the Elegant life
couch

Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:52 pm

When I read this book, originally published in 1980, in the early '80s, it struck me as quite useful in documenting traditional household (and cellar, etc.) maintenance techniques, leavened with a generous sprinkling of "Upstairs, Downstairs" anecdote. As an art conservator at the time, I noted with approval that most of the techniques described seemed consistent with then-current understanding of good preservation practice. I have since regretted not purchasing my own copy for reference. The book has been frequently cited and has been out of print for many years, with used copies fetching high prices (I lost out on a reasonable copy from an Australian dealer a couple of years ago).

Fast-forward to this week, when the apparently enormous appeal of "Downton Abbey" to a new generation (along with, I suppose, the resuscitated "Upstairs, Downstairs") seems to have prompted Clarkson Potter to re-issue "The Butler's Guide" with a new forward by the historical advisor to the former show. Those interested can download a free PDF sample here and Amazon (U.S.) is selling the hardcover here for $13.90.
BGE

Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:08 am

Dear Couch,

This book is a gem. I have been engrossed with it since downloading the electronic edition to my reading pad after work.

Kind thanks for bringing it to our attention.

—BGE
  • Information