Stock lasts

"The brute covers himself, the rich man and the fop adorn themselves, the elegant man dresses!"

-Honore de Balzac

rodes

Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:41 pm

" The 202 in a C is particularly fine." I heartily agree and would like to add a close relative, the 606 in a C.
With a slightly squared toe this is perhaps the best looking RTW shoe that I have seen.
oldfruit1

Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:53 pm

since most peoples feet are quite different in shape the 'best last' surely depends on which particular manafacturer has designed a last closest resembling your feet's shape! EG for example makes very narrow lasts which i have found taper agressively around the instep, great if you have a narrow foot with a low instep, but otherwise problematic.

if the discussion is more about which last looks most elegant then perhaps this can be discussed meaningfully, but is pretty much useless information for a man looking to actually buy and wear a pair of shoes comfortably.

fruity
cathach

Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:26 pm

I'd have to concur that the debate both here and elsewhere online on the shape and lines of different lasts appears to be somewhat null, a certain last may have very elegant lines in one fitting because the eye likes the combination of length curves and lines, but it could become rather ordinary or clunky when in the width needed to fit a certain foot. And there is no torture like an ill-fitting pair of shoes.

Light she was and like a fairy,
And her shoes were number nine,
Herring boxes without topses,
Sandals were for Clementine
NJS

Sun Nov 04, 2012 4:47 pm

cathach wrote:I'd have to concur that the debate both here and elsewhere online on the shape and lines of different lasts appears to be somewhat null, a certain last may have very elegant lines in one fitting because the eye likes the combination of length curves and lines, but it could become rather ordinary or clunky when in the width needed to fit a certain foot. And there is no torture like an ill-fitting pair of shoes.

Light she was and like a fairy,
And her shoes were number nine,
Herring boxes without topses,
Sandals were for Clementine
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=clOdyzP9fcw
  • Information