Orson Welles at the tailors

"The brute covers himself, the rich man and the fop adorn themselves, the elegant man dresses!"

-Honore de Balzac

davidhuh

Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:46 pm

old henry wrote:"I would have waited until I was a bit more experienced before I took this on" ???. What the Hell is in that?
Considering the price they charge one would think that they would take care of you. Its bullshit.
Dear Frank,

generally, I would agree with you. However, I see both sides.

For a customer who is new to bespoke, there is a lot to learn and to get acquainted with. A customer embarking on a bespoke experience on such a distance with a travelling tailor, is adding additional complexity to a process he is not familiar with. The more a customer is unexperienced, the more difficult he will find it to deal with his tailor appropriately. Remember the Orson Welles film :D

Dempsey may not agree with me - but I think he has learned a lot by his experience, was helped considerably by the members of this precious forum, has found happiness with a tailor who is more accessible for him in terms of distance, and may even sort out the mess with Huntsman.

Finally, Dempsey raises a point which I find interesting: why are American tailors not travelling to other U.S. cities?

Cheers, david
old henry

Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:26 pm

David, I think that the MTM houses do travel. I have a handful of customes keeping me buisy and I travel to NYC for the fittings.
I can only make 3 suits a month but I think traveling would be good for others. Also , I do not know if you remember Demp444s suit but they allowed him to leave knowing it was a laughable product. Why should the customer know tailoring? The tailor should take care of the trusting novice. It is not a matter of pleats- no pleats or hacking pockets or patch or cloth. The suit was a fit disaster and they knew it. $7500.00 ???
dempsy444

Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:50 am

davidhuh wrote: Dempsey may not agree with me - but I think he has learned a lot by his experience, was helped considerably by the members of this precious forum, has found happiness with a tailor who is more accessible for him in terms of distance, and may even sort out the mess ...

Cheers, david
[/quote]

I most certainly agree with everything you say. This has been a very informative forum and I appreciate everyone's help with Huntsman. I also think you captured my point well.
davidhuh

Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:20 pm

old henry wrote:Why should the customer know tailoring? The tailor should take care of the trusting novice. It is not a matter of pleats- no pleats or hacking pockets or patch or cloth. The suit was a fit disaster and they knew it. $7500.00 ???
Dear Frank,

I agree with you here. Of course they should, there is no excuse. But mistakes happen, and the novice finds reacting in appropriate manner difficult :cry:

Cheers, david
old henry

Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:46 pm

We should all have a laugh and watch this clip.
  • Information