Fifeteen Suits

"He had that supreme elegance of being, quite simply, what he was."

-C. Albaret describing Marcel Proust

Style, chic, presence, sex appeal: whatever you call it, you can discuss it here.
rodes

Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:23 pm

It seems to me that the suitably dressed businessman, as opposed to the more style sensitive London Lounger, who must dress for work five days a week in temperate climate needs ten suits. Five in 13 ounce worsted and five in 10 ounce fresco would be about right. Unfortunately, this leaves him adequate but not comfortable during the winter so another five in 14 ounce plus flannel would give him a lifetime of fine service. Patterns could be dark blue, medium to dark gray, navy stripe, gray stipe, business acceptale check such as POW. If one favors it, the double breasted is perhaps even better than the stripe, especially for cold weather. This is a subsantial outlay for bespoke but well worth the investment.
Sir Royston

Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:15 am

I agree... couldn't agree more. I don't like to wear the same suit 2 days in a row.. More so, not in the same week.. so thats a requirement of 5-10 business suits.. Plus some alternatives such as the POW check... And then there are always the Tweed suits for weekend etc.. Im not going to even start counting how many tweed suits I own !!
cosmic

Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:12 am

Is a PoW check formal enough for the more formal work sectors (e.g. law, finance, government) in a place like London, for example?
rodes

Sat Dec 15, 2012 4:23 pm

It is where I work, a small rural town of about 20,000 in Pennsylvania. Even here there are some places like courtrooms where I would not wear it. In London and similar locales you would be very limited to only the most informal situations.
MRJ

Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:52 pm

cosmic wrote:Is a PoW check formal enough for the more formal work sectors (e.g. law, finance, government) in a place like London, for example?
I think it depends on how bold the pattern is and the tone of the base colour. I have just taken delivery of a POW from Lessors 13oz in mid blue.The pattern is very discreet so this would be fine. A very bold POW on a lighter colour background may be less appropriate some times but London is more informal these days. Some of the POW in the Fox flannel selection could easily be worn , whilst others would be better for Fridays- which was the original use of POWs I believe
MRJ

Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:54 pm

PS I don't think we should limit ourselves to only 15 suits. Please don't tell my wife this.
cosmic

Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:32 pm

MRJ wrote:
cosmic wrote:Is a PoW check formal enough for the more formal work sectors (e.g. law, finance, government) in a place like London, for example?
I think it depends on how bold the pattern is and the tone of the base colour. I have just taken delivery of a POW from Lessors 13oz in mid blue.The pattern is very discreet so this would be fine. A very bold POW on a lighter colour background may be less appropriate some times but London is more informal these days. Some of the POW in the Fox flannel selection could easily be worn , whilst others would be better for Fridays- which was the original use of POWs I believe
I was thinking of a mid-grey PoW, rather than something like a pick and pick or herringbone. I don't mind wearing it just on Fridays at the office, I have a couple of more conservative solids in navy & charcoal for when more formality is needed. I just happen to love the PoW pattern, and like the idea of something a little more relaxed for evenings, weekends, social occasions and so on. Anyway, thanks for the tips.
alden

Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:24 am

I was thinking of a mid-grey PoW, rather than something like a pick and pick or herringbone. I don't mind wearing it just on Fridays at the office, I have a couple of more conservative solids in navy & charcoal for when more formality is needed. I just happen to love the PoW pattern, and like the idea of something a little more relaxed for evenings, weekends, social occasions and so on. Anyway, thanks for the tips.
You will find by glancing at the selection of LL/Fox flannel designs, that I have a penchant for the PoW as well. Among those designs you will find a few made for city wear and others that are a bit more rus in urbe.
There are three or four gray PoWs that fall into the first category. And one of my favorites is the mid-gray with a chestnut brown windowpane. I am going to have that one made up next as I begin the fifteen flannel suits project. It was fifteen "flannel" suits, right? :D

FS405 A2220/66

Cheers
Manself

Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:06 pm

Only fifteen flannel suits? What are you Mr Alden, some kind of monk?
  • Information