Linen instead of cotton as basic shirting

What you always wanted to know about Elegance, but were afraid to ask!
Wasser50

Mon Aug 27, 2012 6:11 pm

Michael

How do I order the linen shirting?

Regards
Simon A

Mon Aug 27, 2012 6:29 pm

For those not familiar with how European flax is grown, harvested and processed into fine linen, the European Linen Association has produced these very engaging short videos. The passion of the people involved in every step of the production chain is remarkable, not unlike the wool or wine businesses. While they don't examine Irish linen, perhaps it will convince you to treat yourself to some more linen shirts :)

https://vimeo.com/16882995
https://vimeo.com/31778838
alden

Mon Aug 27, 2012 6:50 pm

How do I order the linen shirting?
Wasser

Details will be annonced soon.

Michael
alden

Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:24 pm

With regards to my question, I interpret your answer as: If an adequate quality of linen is used all the various permutations of linen + some or another substance are redundant.
My answer is that top quality linen is a rare commodity these days. A lot of the reported inconveniences associated with linen stem from the fact that very poor quality mass made qualities are the norm.

Great linen is the Rolls-Royce of fabrics.

Starting in 2004 I have written that my favorite fabrics are flannel, tweed and linen. We have made some outstanding tweeds. A book of very special flannels is about to be released. Now I am turning my attention to linen. Watch out you sartorial world! :D

Cheers
alden

Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:43 pm

The Decline of Western Civilisation hasn't reached the point (yet) where I could get away with wearing a linen shirt in The City. Brown shoes yes, linen blazer maybe, no tie on a hot day certainly, but a non cotton shirt? A bridge too far thank goodness.
Dress in The City could not be more appauling. Maybe it takes a view from outside to say so. Yes the shirts are made from some distant cousin of cotton, paper thin, transparent and worn unbuttoned to mid-chest. Linen should be the least of London's worries! :D

London's City lost its prerogative to hoist the standard of Style in the mid 1990s. If you want to see remanents of style in a City, you have to look in Milan these days.

Cheers

Michael
rrosals

Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:46 pm

Is it possible to have a linen alergy? I have been wearing two recenlty commissioned linen shirts and they are not as comfortable as cotton.

The fabric is from Grandi & Rubinelli
alden

Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:53 pm

Is it possible to have a linen alergy? I have been wearing two recenlty commissioned linen shirts and they are not as comfortable as cotton
Never heard of that linen. Can youndescribe what makes it feel bad?

When you wear a linen shirt you should feel nothing. Its like you are naked but covered. You feel free. Cotton has that nasty hot cloying like a bad cold.

Cheers
rrosals

Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:19 pm

It feels slightly itchy and I notice more perspiration. I love the look and will continue to wear but I find it more comfortable when it is not extremely hot and humid.

Maybe the issue is that it is not 100% linen. I will give the LL linen shirting a try.
J.S. Groot

Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:35 pm

alden wrote:Now I am turning my attention to linen. Watch out you sartorial world! :D
They are trembling already, I think. Can you give any insight as to how good quality linen shirting should feel? Apart from "as LL linen" :)
alden

Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:37 pm

Linen shines in hot and humid weather. It is like there is a compartment of fresh air between you and the fabric. It is cooling.

If you do not have 100% linen of the highest quality (not made in Italy, China or India) then you do not have a linen shirt.

I would also advise readers to avoid blends. The cotton and linen blends are uniformly atrocious. :D

Cheers
TimelessClassic

Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:03 am

alden wrote:Linen shines in hot and humid weather. It is like there is a compartment of fresh air between you and the fabric. It is cooling.

If you do not have 100% linen of the highest quality (not made in Italy, China or India) then you do not have a linen shirt.

I would also advise readers to avoid blends. The cotton and linen blends are uniformly atrocious. :D

Cheers
How good is Irish linen?
ismailalmurtadza

Tue Aug 28, 2012 7:26 am

Mr.Alden
Is this LL linen shirting be an all year round product or a Limited Edition offer?

murtadza
hectorm

Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:21 pm

alden wrote: I wanted a quality of shirting that would pass muster in the business environment or more formal wear. So I commissioned a very tightly woven, specially treated linen that looks like cotton but is 100% linen.
This is the best of both worlds. Go ahead with the project. I´m willing to try this magical cloth as my basic shirting.
alden wrote: Great linen is the Rolls-Royce of fabrics.
Now you got me worried. This R-R business could mean heavy and ostentatious too. Which one would be the Bristol Blenheim of fabrics, then? :)
NJS

Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:06 pm

Hector - not all RRs are heavy and ostentatious. I remember seeing one of these from the back of a cab in Gower Street, WC1 and it took my breath away:

Four door SC III Continental (equivalent to the Bentley Flying Spur).
NJS
Scot

Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:02 pm

LL linen shirting is an extremely exciting prospect. I shall delay ordering new shirts for the timebeing, in anticipation! :D
  • Information