The public transport dilemma

"The brute covers himself, the rich man and the fop adorn themselves, the elegant man dresses!"

-Honore de Balzac

Balfour

Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:03 pm

This is my first post on the forum, but I have 'lurked' a little while here and longer on the American sites.

I'd be interested to hear from members who wear bespoke clothes on a daily basis (either suits or odd jackets and wool trousers) and who travel using public transport. The underground is of course dirty, very very overcrowded at rush hour and insufferably hot in the Summer. Not kind to good quality clothing. I've tried keeping suits in the office, but it is difficult to keep enough there for a daily rotation (assuming you're prepared to run the risk of leaving valuable bespoke / MTM suits at work).

I'm not sure there is a good option here (stopping short of commuting by car, which has its own drawbacks).

Anyone else in the same boat?
Noble Savage

Sat Jul 14, 2012 7:11 am

If you wear nice clothes underground, cover them with an overcoat, raincoat, duster, or whatnot.
Wasser50

Sat Jul 14, 2012 8:04 am

I commute every day into London and have worn high end bespoke for 25 years as do many of my friends. Don't see an issue I'm not going to wear off the peg or MTM because I commute.

I still have and wear the first suit I bought with no sign of wear as think it's an issue of rotation and then looking after cloths. I iron my trousers after every wear and probably only wear the same suit once a month ad I've bought about 3 suits a year so have lots to rotate.

Wear what makes you feel good.
DFR

Sat Jul 14, 2012 10:57 am

Balfour wrote:This is my first post on the forum, but I have 'lurked' a little while here and longer on the American sites.

I'd be interested to hear from members who wear bespoke clothes on a daily basis (either suits or odd jackets and wool trousers) and who travel using public transport. The underground is of course dirty, very very overcrowded at rush hour and insufferably hot in the Summer. Not kind to good quality clothing. I've tried keeping suits in the office, but it is difficult to keep enough there for a daily rotation (assuming you're prepared to run the risk of leaving valuable bespoke / MTM suits at work).

I'm not sure there is a good option here (stopping short of commuting by car, which has its own drawbacks).

Anyone else in the same boat?
Any public place has a layer of dirt - though not to the degree that you imply and that will affect any clothes. Bespoke clothing will neither suffer more nor less than any other and none will suffer any material damage.

Just wear your clothes as any normal person and do not obsess about it - you are coming to more harm than your clothes.
rodes

Sun Jul 15, 2012 3:28 am

Wasser50,
I agree that finely crafted suits should hold up well even against the perils of daily commuting. Our compliments on what clearly seems to be a fine wardrobe thoughtfully procured over many years. Perhaps, I may be so bold as to ask your thoughts on aquiring the same. What is ideal for you in terms of weight, pattern, amount of SB vs. DB. Any details would be appreciated. Thankyou for your consideration.
Wasser50

Sun Jul 15, 2012 7:58 am

Well said DFR!

Also any good Taylor will sponge clean your cloths each year as part of the service, so ask this when buying.
Wasser50

Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:13 am

Rodes

Not sure a wardrobe is planned although I'm sure many will disagree.

Personally I have bought the same style for 30 years, SB 3 button rolled to 2 or 2 2/2 trousers with bauble pleats backward facing and plain bottom. Not really enspired I guess but In my eye always classic so the suits I bought 25 years ago do not feel out of place now. I choose classic cloth patters for suits, leaving the more interesting to odd jackets. I use two tailors as they have slightly different interpretations on this classic style. Cloth wights of 9 to 13oz in various cloth manufacturers.

I have tried the more selebrated Taylor's from Italy but none with any satisfactory results.

My shoes and shirts are also made but bespoke ties have been a real let down especially those labels 7 fold.
  • Information