Johnstons of Elgin

"The brute covers himself, the rich man and the fop adorn themselves, the elegant man dresses!"

-Honore de Balzac

Rowly

Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:24 pm

Let's talk tweese then - but it certainly makes a lot of sense to mix the two in this thread. If I take pictures in tweed, I'm sure you want me to say "cheese" rather than "tweed" davidhuh
Is this heading towards a CC project?.....
cheesecloth_disp.jpg
davidhuh

Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:06 pm

Rowly wrote: Is this heading towards a CC project?.....
:lol: - dear Rowly, could be an innovative lining for the upcoming patterned linen perhaps?

cheers, david
Costi

Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:22 pm

Rowly, how could the Italian mills miss on such an opportunity so far, I wonder? Such a fine weave, such breezy quality of lightweight cloth...
davidhuh

Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:26 pm

hectorm wrote: David, wouldn´t it be the opposite?
Wouldn´t the difficulty (or impossibility) of exporting raw milk cheese to the U.S. encourage its production in America? That´s one of the principles of industrial development policies (protectionism).
Dear Hectorm,
what you say sounds logic; however, I see more evidence of the opposite being true. Two examples from my country::
  • - Protecting the Swiss market from cheap import cheese and subsidising cheese export has made the cheese makers lazy. They had a stable home market, somehow guaranteed export - the result was a disaster regarding creativity of cheese making and no benefit on quality. Only now they are waking up - some young makers are around all of a sudden, making ugly looking delicacies with strong smell we used to import from France :D
    - The same is true for wine production in my country. Only since the borders are more open and more quality competition comes in, our wine makers go back to their roots and think about making a quality product which is worth the price.
Kayak81 wrote:Raw milk cheeses can be imported into the U.S. provided they have been aged at least 60 days at a temperature above 35 F. I believe that Reblochon is normally aged 56 days, but some producers age it an extra 4 days to allow it to be exported to the U.S.
hectorm wrote: OK. That did it for me. How can they dare to age my Reblochon for 4 extra days? No wonder I´ve been noticing those crustier rinds and the cream was not spreading on my toast as fluidly as usual. Enough is enough, I´m switching from French Savoyard to American Velveeta in my tartiflette. :)
I would prefer my Reblochon aged many more extra days. It may a bit less soft, true, but taste much better :D . Have a chat with an affineur (crazy men storing cheese in deep cellars to mature)

cheers, David
Scot

Sun Jun 24, 2012 11:04 am

Here is a recently made up Johnstons saxony. The colour doesn't come out too well (the flash close-up is the nearest to reality) and it is difficult to adopt a natural posture whilst photographing oneself in a mirror but you get the idea. It's good stuff!

Rowly

Sun Jun 24, 2012 11:22 am

Really nice..congrats. I have been toying with this pattern for a while. I looks good made up.
thanks for sharing!
DFR

Sun Jun 24, 2012 3:13 pm

Scot wrote:Here is a recently made up Johnstons saxony. The colour doesn't come out too well (the flash close-up is the nearest to reality) and it is difficult to adopt a natural posture whilst photographing oneself in a mirror but you get the idea. It's good stuff!

It looks nice made up - who was the cutter?
hectorm

Mon Jun 25, 2012 2:24 pm

Scot,
handsome jacket! I like the classic 3B stance for a tweed......and the collar tab.
Also very nice matching of the pattern (I guess the collar was matched to the back of the coat and not to the lapels).
And you are right, the colour looks a bit washed out in the pictures.
Is your saxony the 550 grams Lair tweed? If it is, it´s a little greener that it shows.
Scot

Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:56 pm

hectorm wrote:Scot,
handsome jacket! I like the classic 3B stance for a tweed......and the collar tab.
Also very nice matching of the pattern (I guess the collar was matched to the back of the coat and not to the lapels).
And you are right, the colour looks a bit washed out in the pictures.
Is your saxony the 550 grams Lair tweed? If it is, it´s a little greener that it shows.
Thanks, yes I think that's the cloth (although "Laird" not "lair").

The cutter, tailor and finisher were one and the same person; a lady called Antonia Brecht. She has a tiny shop in Glasgow and, I believe, provides a visiting service in London. I have been working with her for 3 or 4 years and we are approaching a pretty good pattern. It's been fun to compare her way of working and the end product with that of my SR tailor!
hectorm

Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:12 pm

Laird it is indeed and not Lair.
Scot wrote: It's been fun to compare her way of working and the end product with that of my SR tailor!
Is there any of that fun that you may share with us (without hurting anybody´s feelings, of course)? This is a topic in which all LL members are very interested.
oscarsfan

Tue Jul 03, 2012 4:26 am

alden wrote:
The WSJ also just had a blurb on the Ducasse visit to the London cheese stores.
Yes, the photo was taken at Neal's Yard the day I was there. I prefer the Stilchington to the Stilton at Neals Yard as it has more character. And Devon blue is interesting as well. I tasted a blue cheese from Oregon that day as well. It had a rind cured in pear brandy. It was delicious.

The proprietor tells me that the world center of artisanal cheese production will move to the USA in the next five years. It seems there are many young people who have taken up the trade, learned from the Europeans and are setting out to blaze their own trails "supported by, but not restricted by tradition or traditional methods." I think this idea can apply to other pursuits as well.

Cheers

I prefer the atmosphere and the cheeses at Paxton and Whitfields. The staff is much less rushed and the cheeses divine.

The chocolate truffles at the nearby Fortnum and Masons are still amongst the very best I have tasted. The phenomenal quality of the source cocoa shines through like no other. Un-occluded by overtempering, sugar or dairy, these are nirvana.

-
Rowly

Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:13 am

Scot wrote:
It's been fun to compare her way of working and the end product with that of my SR tailor!

Is there any of that fun that you may share with us (without hurting anybody´s feelings, of course)? This is a topic in which all LL members are very interested.
Is it fully hand canvassed..basted and forward fittings etc? It is nicely shaped, with nice roping in the shoulders. The pocket flaps are a nice proportion both for you and for the pattern. An admirable production. I would love to hear your comparison ( say..SR Vs Gl--no name details if you prefer)..Good luck with it !
61tailor

Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:06 pm

Scot wrote:Here is a recently made up Johnstons saxony. The colour doesn't come out too well (the flash close-up is the nearest to reality) and it is difficult to adopt a natural posture whilst photographing oneself in a mirror but you get the idea. It's good stuff!

Sorry, what's going on with these photos? Looks like two different jackets since the one you are wearing buttons has the breast pocket on the right and buttons right over left.
61tailor

Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:10 pm

I guess it is the mirror :D weird!
DFR

Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:56 pm

61tailor wrote:

Sorry, what's going on with these photos? Looks like two different jackets since the one you are wearing buttons has the breast pocket on the right and buttons right over left.

Use your imagination - the OP has self photgraphed using a mirror and has said so.
  • Information