Royal Jubilee

"The brute covers himself, the rich man and the fop adorn themselves, the elegant man dresses!"

-Honore de Balzac

Canuck

Fri Jun 08, 2012 1:01 am

From Canada & watching the Royal Jubilee celebrations I wish to comment has follows.
At the final celebration there was a Palace balcony view & flyover.
Are there any comments on the Princes dress & in particular the lapel "piping"? (In Canada we do see Graham Norton).
Can we expect a "Prince Edward" type infulance on mens fashion from these three?
Further, there was an interview with the main patron of the "Gloriana" rowing barge (sorry did not get his name). This persons was wearing a "double breasted, navy blazer, white shirt & tie" and pink pants.
In North America pink is common & I do have many pink shirts, ties & casual shirts. I do not think pink pants are in my future with a navy blazer.
couch

Fri Jun 08, 2012 2:19 am

Charles has been wearing that morning coat with the silk edging for some time--he was married to Camilla in it, and it's illustrated in Sator's Cutter and Tailor thread on morning dress on him and on others. This thread from Andrews and Pygott shows him in it on another (diplomatic) occasion. It also shows Windsor (when King Edward VIII) in a nearly identical coat with a longer single-breasted waistcoat with matching edging. The unidentified man behind him is wearing virtually identical kit but with an edged collar on the waistcoat. This style of edging (whether with grosgrain silk or braiding) is a pretty traditional version seen often in the twentieth century. As usual the traditional but less-comonly-seen-now version was worn by Prince Michael of Kent at this weekend's festivities--a wider edging on the lapel only, and a notched lapel at that. There's one revived from the books.

I'm just happy to see them wearing well-cut coats that don't have a dropped waist seam and hip-length waistcoat (as does Lord Frederick Windsor in the photo with Prince Michael). I suspect if the edged lapel and collar were going to catch on broadly, we'd have seen it before now, but who knows?
MRJ

Fri Jun 08, 2012 5:26 am

The morning coat Charles is wearing is Anderson and Shepherd I believe and approximately 20 years old. I spotted the piping as well and am not sure I like it but the overall impression of the outfit was exceptionally smart. At St Pauls I was struck by how many men were wearing striped ties. I am not sure this is strictly correct as Macclesfields or Grenadines should be worn. Some of the men would have been wearing regimental ties but this excuse did not apply to all of them,particularly the politicians
vincentporsiempre

Fri Jun 08, 2012 4:20 pm

MRJ wrote:The morning coat Charles is wearing is Anderson and Shepherd I believe and approximately 20 years old. I spotted the piping as well and am not sure I like it but the overall impression of the outfit was exceptionally smart. At St Pauls I was struck by how many men were wearing striped ties. I am not sure this is strictly correct as Macclesfields or Grenadines should be worn. Some of the men would have been wearing regimental ties but this excuse did not apply to all of them,particularly the politicians
Indeed and in fact they have the same example on their website. Also their is the only example I have seen before (talked about on their blog and picture of A&S Morning Coats) of waistcoat with a demis marcella "collar", like Charles was wearing at St Paul.
rodes

Tue Jun 12, 2012 2:32 pm

My own preference for the morning coat is to have no piping. The coat is so striking by itself that any embellishment is a distraction to my eye. However, I am no expert in this matter and sadly, will most likely never own such a garmet. There is just call no call for such modes of dress in my part of the US.
Concerning the Royal Jubilee in general, it is quite nice to see a people celebrate with a fitting sense of occasion.
  • Information