Perfumes

Discuss travel, watches, gastronomy, wines, boats and all other aspects of the Elegant life
uppercase

Tue Nov 29, 2011 1:09 am

alden wrote:Gido

I am always on the lookout for old formula Vetiver by Guerlain. If you ever run across some.

I just thought to mention to Uppercase that he should try
Chanel's Bois des Iles as well as CdR. Superb!

Michael
Bois des Iles: what a wonderful recommendation! Indeed, superb.

Miles Messervy

Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:30 am

Recently, I've been wearing "Tabacco Toscano", from Santa Maria Novella. It's a wonderful "male" scent.
Costi

Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:35 am

Try the soap, too!
Miles Messervy

Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:49 am

Dear Costi,

I'll look into it. I've seen the thread that mentions the shaving soap. I was waiting for them to offer also a "Tabacco Toscano" soap, but I'm not sure when (if ever) it's going to be available. Might as well go with the one you mentioned.
Costi

Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:11 am

Miles, I meant the Tabacco Toscano soap (not shaving soap). Comes in a brown box. Wonderful!
http://www.smnovella.it/italiano/sessio ... 76&idg=188
(third from left on the top row)
The shaving CREAM (they don't make shaving soap) in a jar is my favourite.
Miles Messervy

Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:47 pm

Dear Costi,

Of course! My apologies! I have tried the soap already, and it's every bit as good as the other "Tabacco Toscano" products (the perfume and the scented candle). I was still waiting for them to release a similar scented shaving soap, but you're right: only the cream is available.

As a matter of fact, I have just returned from their shop at via Rinascimento, in Rome, having bought a replacement for my almost depleted perfume. There were a number of other customers at the moment, so I decided to inquire about the shaving cream at a later date.
Costi

Thu Mar 29, 2012 1:52 pm

Miles, do you spray or splash?
Miles Messervy

Thu Mar 29, 2012 2:04 pm

I usually spray: the gentle folks at Santa Maria Novella in Rome have always been kind enough to supply me with atomizers. Come to think of it, my wife has often accused me of being too indulgent with my spraying, and I think she must be right as I'm know at my fourth bottle of Tabacco Toscano... :oops:
Costi

Thu Mar 29, 2012 2:32 pm

Miles Messervy wrote:my wife has often accused me of being too indulgent with my spraying
:D

Forget the atomiser and try to splash instead. It's the best use you can make of eau de cologne. SMN makes them weak enough so you can do that. Don't dab behind ears, rub the neck for an invigorating feeling - that's what EDC is supposed to do; the fragrance is an extra :wink:
I don't understand the advice some offer not to rub cologne onto the skin as it will "break the oils" and "change the fragrance", so just "let it dry naturally on your skin". It is SUPPOSED to mix with your natural skin chemistry and blend in, not stay on top and overpower it. That's the spirit of cologne, otherwise go for perfume.
This is good practice for EDC in my opinion: http://www.ehow.com/how_4844129_apply-e ... logne.html
alden

Sat Mar 31, 2012 3:39 pm

I see MSN also has an olive oil soap. A few years ago my neighboors brought me a few bars of soap made from the local olive oil and I have been using it ever since. It has a moisterizing capacity that is remarkable and will not irritate the skin.

Cheers
Gido

Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:55 am

hello,

i wanted to post on the new guerlain vetiver, in the new bottle that is a partial return to the old style bottle design. people have said the juice is closer to the old stuff, too. but unfortunately that's just not true. the new is way thinner and seriously lacking in richness compared to the old. i think it's actually more trimmed than the previous formula. so i remain that for the real guerlain vetiver, the only option would be a vintage bottle, from ebay or elsewhere.

best,
gido.
Ian

Sat Jul 21, 2012 1:54 pm

As a new member I would like thank all who have contributed their knowledge and experience to this thread.On the strength of what I've read,I purchased a sample of Knize 10.Very nice indeed,I will avail myself of a larger bottle and use it on cold winter days.On the subject of fragrance loyalty,I have worn Chanel Antaeus stick deodorant for over 30 yrs now,although I always layer it with a different EDT.
NJS

Sat Jul 21, 2012 3:51 pm

Costi wrote:
Miles Messervy wrote:my wife has often accused me of being too indulgent with my spraying
I don't understand the advice some offer not to rub cologne onto the skin as it will "break the oils" and "change the fragrance", so just "let it dry naturally on your skin".

Once, buying some Mille by Jean Patou in Selfridge's, we were advised not to touch the scent as it 'would bruise the flowers!'
Gido

Sat Jul 21, 2012 5:18 pm

NJS wrote:Once, buying some Mille by Jean Patou in Selfridge's, we were advised not to touch the scent as it 'would bruise the flowers!'
This cracked me up.

The worst thing that could happen is that the more volatile molecules take flight because of the warmth created by the friction. The horror!
BirdofSydney

Sun Jul 22, 2012 12:56 pm

I have almost finished a bottle of Acqua di Parma which, while perfectly satisfactory, has left me wondering whether there isn't a nicer alternative in the 'classic' citrus-herbal genre. I tried Chanel's Eau de Cologne (from the pricey 'Exclusifs' line) which is very clean but puts me in mind of limoncello rather than lemon groves, if that makes sense. Not unpleasant, but not quite what I want.

I wonder whether anyone could recommend something to try? Floris No. 89 seems like a possibility, if I can find it.
  • Information