Cloth for a coat...

What you always wanted to know about Elegance, but were afraid to ask!
simonmartelo

Fri Dec 16, 2011 6:19 pm

I'm having a couple of coats made. I live in Bogota, Colombia where its rainy and chilly at night but it never goes below 0 or snows. When, and by that I mean what weight, does a cloth start to become more apropriate for a coat and less for a jacket?

Thanks.
Costi

Mon Dec 26, 2011 8:32 pm

Hard to say. I have some pieces of heavier cloth in my pile I am still not sure whether they shall become suits or overcoats. They could work well for any of the two. I think it's not just a matter of weight, but also pattern, pattern size, texture...
Don't go too light, would be my advice, even if the weather is mild. Err on the heavy side. Buy suiting cloth that you might consider making into an overcoat, if you wanted to, rather than buying overcoating you might just as well make into a suit.
simonmartelo

Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:50 pm

Thank you. I guess I´ll just take a chance...

Best,

Simon.
alden

Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:54 pm

Simon

Costi's advice is spot on. If I were to try and draw a line in the sand it would be at about 625-650 gms. That normally speaking is an upper limit for a jacket and a good place to start for a coat.

Cheers

Michael Alden
Concordia

Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:37 pm

Although Rizzo in Cambridge occasionally makes a very light topcoat that some use to create an elegant appearance even if it isn't too cold out. La bella figura!

For that you'd do somewhere up to 16oz (up to 440g) in a dark herringbone suiting, or similar.
NJS

Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:18 am

Are you after coats or suits- and for daytime or evening wear; summer or winter (such as they differ up your way)?
NJS
  • Information