Rangoon bunch by John G Hardy - any good alternative?

"The brute covers himself, the rich man and the fop adorn themselves, the elegant man dresses!"

-Honore de Balzac

davidhuh

Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:22 am

Dear all,

is there any good substitute for this defunct J G Hardy bunch?

Many thanks, David
old henry

Tue Aug 30, 2011 3:53 pm

Ah Ha.. Sir, Never will you find another Rangoon. That cloth is all I pushed on my customers. It was a lighter weight with heavy weight drape and guts. It would laugh at any heavy iron and hold up beautifully to the ripping and re-doing of an eager apprentice. Rangoon had the most handsome shadow plaid in blue and grey. No.. there is no substitute for Rangoon. You should order from the Lesser Tropicals before it is all gone. It is the elegant city cousin to Rangoon. But not Rangoon. Frank
ps, however....if there is any Lesser 10oz left .... that is a brick.
rrosals

Thu Sep 01, 2011 4:01 pm

Living in a warm and humid climate I am always on the search for a suiting that is lighweight and breathes but still drapes well and has a conservative look. I have one suit made with Rangoon and two more lengths for the future. I am also trying the Lesser Tropical so hopefully can compare the two soon.
old henry

Thu Sep 01, 2011 5:43 pm

Get the Tropicals. But when it is gone...` ? too bad for us.
rrosals

Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:47 pm

These are two of the three. The one on the left is already made. Not sure which configuration the one on the right will become. I can find the fabric numbers if anyone is interested.
Costi

Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:49 pm

rrosals wrote:Not sure which configuration the one on the right will become.
I see a great double breasted. Don't ponder for too long, I remember you had a great tailor and he isn't getting any younger :wink:
old henry

Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:50 pm

It has just come to my attention that rosals tailor is Joe Vericot. He is the most authentic tailor in the U S of A. Ask him, Sir , how important a sound and sturdy colth is to a tailors life. And give him my regards. He has my respect. FS
rrosals

Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:57 pm

Costi wrote:
rrosals wrote:Not sure which configuration the one on the right will become.
I see a great double breasted. Don't ponder for too long, I remember you had a great tailor and he isn't getting any younger :wink:
He has begun on a new garment and will post an update. I went with the 124 Rangoon and will be double breasted.
davidhuh

Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:13 pm

rrosals wrote:
These are two of the three. The one on the left is already made. Not sure which configuration the one on the right will become. I can find the fabric numbers if anyone is interested.
Lucky man. The blue and the grey are the ones I was lusting for... :cry:

cheers, david
manton

Sun Oct 09, 2011 2:33 am

Lesser tropical is every bit as good and maybe a bit better.

I do love Rangoon though and am glad I was able to get a lot of it before it went away. Why they dropped it is beyond me. Such a great cloth.
NJS

Sun Oct 09, 2011 4:40 am

manton wrote:Lesser tropical is every bit as good and maybe a bit better.

I do love Rangoon though and am glad I was able to get a lot of it before it went away. Why they dropped it is beyond me. Such a great cloth.
Speech!

But more poetry, please! You wanna come on board with Obama, you gotta bring some swing to it, sweetie.

NJS
BESPOKE62

Sun Oct 09, 2011 6:20 am

[quote="Why they dropped it is beyond me. Such a great cloth.[/quote]

I ask the representative at Hunt and Winterbotham that question and hear is what they told me...."For a time it was very popular, especially in hotter climates, but we have seen trends move towards the heavier clot again, and it wasn’t selling enough to carry on making it.We do have some other plain weaves in our QX collection, tho they are slightly heavier.
davidhuh

Sun Oct 09, 2011 5:03 pm

NJS wrote:
manton wrote:Lesser tropical is every bit as good and maybe a bit better.

Speech!

But more poetry, please! You wanna come on board with Obama, you gotta bring some swing to it, sweetie.

NJS
:lol:

I got the Lesser tropical book and went through it. I marked 21 swatches for potential suits - who is going to pay for this? :oops:
BESPOKE62 wrote: I ask the representative at Hunt and Winterbotham that question and hear is what they told me...."For a time it was very popular, especially in hotter climates, but we have seen trends move towards the heavier clot again, and it wasn’t selling enough to carry on making it.We do have some other plain weaves in our QX collection, tho they are slightly heavier.
Interesting. The messages coming from the trade are sometimes rather confusing...

Cheers, David
Concordia

Sun Oct 09, 2011 8:31 pm

BESPOKE62 wrote:[quote="Why they dropped it is beyond me. Such a great cloth.
I ask the representative at Hunt and Winterbotham that question and hear is what they told me...."For a time it was very popular, especially in hotter climates, but we have seen trends move towards the heavier clot again, and it wasn’t selling enough to carry on making it.We do have some other plain weaves in our QX collection, tho they are slightly heavier.[/quote]
What is the QX collection?
  • Information