Unhappy about Marshall Fields becoming Macys.

"The brute covers himself, the rich man and the fop adorn themselves, the elegant man dresses!"

-Honore de Balzac

Cufflink79

Tue Sep 20, 2005 10:25 pm

Grettings all:
I was checking out the local news in the Twin Cities today and saw that all Marshall Fields stores are going to be Macys. When we in the Minneapolis/St. Paul area gave up Daytons to become Marshall Fields I was unhappy about that as well, but got used to it because Marshall Fields was pretty much the same thing as Daytons just founded in a different city. Macys is ok I have brought some things there before; but Macys is New York and Marshall Fields is Chicago. I live in New Mexico right now but I feel for those of you in Chicago. I have visited the Marshall Fields store in downtown Chicago before, I hope they don't change the look of it. The name change will take place in the fall of 2006. I saw this story at www.kstp.com, but im sure it is in other news sites as well. I really wish we could go back to the good old days.

Best Regards,

Cufflink79
Phil

Tue Sep 27, 2005 3:55 pm

It is indeed a sad day when this happens. It joins John Wanamaker, Strawbridge and Clothier, Woodward and Lothrop, Eaton's, Raleighs, Garfinkles, B. Altman, and soon Lord & Taylor on the list of gone but not forgotten great stores.

Where oh where are the great department stores with rooftop restaurants and white table cloths? I spent many happy lunches with my mom in such places and they are sadly slipping away.
Mark Seitelman

Tue Sep 27, 2005 6:17 pm

Of course, the loss of Marshall Field is a gain to Macy's headquarters. I read in Crain's New York Business that Macy's will be adding about 300 to its staff here.

How was the merchandise at Marshall Field? I believe that it was a little more upscale than Macy's.
Cufflink79

Tue Sep 27, 2005 6:21 pm

When I was younger my Mom took me the Oak Grill in downtown Minneapolis on the 12th floor of Daytons (now Marshall Fields, soon to be Macys), and I had a great time. I had the shrimp pasta with black current iced tea, and for dessert passion fruit sorbet. Never been to the Walnut Room in Chicago but have been to the landmark store on State Street in Downtown Chicago very nice.

Best Regards,

Cufflink79
Incroyable

Tue Sep 27, 2005 9:32 pm

Does anyone else remember I.Magnin?
Mark Seitelman

Wed Sep 28, 2005 2:04 am

I remember seeing one of the surviving Magnins who resided at the Mark Hopkins Hotel in San Francisco. I used to see him in the lobby about 22 years ago.
ThomasG

Wed Sep 28, 2005 3:20 am

Mark Seitelman wrote:
How was the merchandise at Marshall Field? I believe that it was a little more upscale than Macy's.
When I think of Marshall Fields, I think only of the flagship store on State Street in Chicago. Generally speaking, the store has been in a steady downward spiral since being acquired by B.A.T.U.S. in 1982 although some departments fared better than others. The furniture, houseware and rug departments seemed to have held up well and the women in my life still visit for their designer clothes and lunch at the Walnut Room but menswear is mediocre at best since Oxxford left in 1982.

I would say that Bloomingdales flagship store would be closer in overall selection and quality although the ten story atrium with Tiffany dome can not be equalled.

http://www.lynnbecker.com/repeat/fields/fields.htm
jasstoltz

Wed Sep 28, 2005 5:01 pm

I have fond memories of the State Street store as well, having grown up in Chicago. Regardless of the name on the door, though it would be awful if they changed it, and the quality of the goods, which is certainly not top notch these days, the store is still beautiful.
David V

Wed Sep 28, 2005 8:45 pm

Goods and Service have been declining in quality since Dayton Hudson (later renamed to Target) took over.

So I'm wondering what we can expect of Macy's?
Mr. Class

Sun Oct 02, 2005 5:16 am

Now you can add Filenes to the list.
David V

Tue Oct 11, 2005 7:23 pm

Macy's has announced the Donald Trump menswear collection. :shock:

All our questions are answered. :cry:
  • Information