Over the calf socks with houndstooth and herringbone weaves

What you always wanted to know about Elegance, but were afraid to ask!
panzanella

Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:45 am

Somewhat bored of my stock of solidly coloured over the calf socks, I have begun to look for something with more texture in the weave. Everything that I can find locally or online in the UK is either long and solid or short and patterned*. My local outfitters in Cambridge can order Pantherella long and patterned socks, but I would have to buy half a dozen of each specific colour/pattern combination. A question for those members of the Lounge in London: would I be able to find long patterned socks on the shelf in Selfridges/Harrods/etc.?

* Woods of Shropshire do stock a few, such as a long grey cotton herringbone, but I was looking for a little more variety that that .
davidhuh

Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:36 am

Dear Panzanella,

I was recently hunting for such socks at Selfridges and found something (Pantherella I believe). Just one pattern. Made in England and the quality so poor I had to throw them after wearing / washing them three times.

The best socks you can get are Bresciani. Order online via Will Boehlke's Suitable Wardrobe store, or through www.dandystore.fr in France. Dandy Store seems out of stock since a while though - I just sent an inquiry.

cheers, david
shredder

Thu Sep 22, 2011 12:09 pm

The department stores will be of little help. Avoid Pantherella. I don't know whether you are after cotton or wool ones, but regardless, I would suggest ringing New & Lingwood. You can have a browse on their web site, but it shows only a small portion of their assortment. If they have any English made socks at the mo, they are likely to be Pantherella, so avoid them. Stick with the Italian or Welsh made ones.
davidhuh

Thu Sep 22, 2011 12:28 pm

shredder wrote:The department stores will be of little help. Avoid Pantherella. I don't know whether you are after cotton or wool ones, but regardless, I would suggest ringing New & Lingwood. You can have a browse on their web site, but it shows only a small portion of their assortment. If they have any English made socks at the mo, they are likely to be Pantherella, so avoid them. Stick with the Italian or Welsh made ones.
Shredder is right, New & Lingwood has a good selection, I bought some as well. Some designs are on the flashy side, and I prefer the Bresciani. I got a reply from dandystore.fr. They say the autumn / winter collection will be up on the site in a few days.

cheers, david
panzanella

Thu Sep 22, 2011 1:24 pm

Thank you gentlemen, I'll place an order with Dandy Store when the stock arrives. Has Pantherella's quality declined recently or was it never really there?
Cufflink79

Thu Sep 22, 2011 5:20 pm

panzanella wrote:Thank you gentlemen, I'll place an order with Dandy Store when the stock arrives. Has Pantherella's quality declined recently or was it never really there?

Dear Panzanella:

I was curious as to your quarry about Pantherella socks. I own several pairs of them and have found them to be the best I've ever had.

Best Regards,

Cufflink79
davidhuh

Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:34 pm

Cufflink79 wrote: Dear Panzanella:

I was curious as to your quarry about Pantherella socks. I own several pairs of them and have found them to be the best I've ever had.

Best Regards,

Cufflink79
Dear Cufflink,

I made a comment about Pantherella over the calf socks. I bought such a pair over the calf socks very recently at Selfridges and had to throw them last week after wearing / washing three times. Both socks were heavily damaged, it can only be explained by poor quality. The Bresciani socks are from a different planet. They look better, wear and fit much better, use better materials.

Said that - I have several shorter pairs of Pantherella socks I am perfectly happy with.

cheers, david
shredder

Fri Sep 23, 2011 7:51 am

Pantherella=inconsistent quality. Sometimes okay, sometimes utter shite. The probability was weighted to the former in previous times, but it is the other way round now. When they are okay, they are nothing worth mentioning. They are one of the cheapest amongst the 'better' hosiery makers, but they are a prime example of false economy. But that is nothing more than my personal opinion, completely biased by my personal experience; I do not pretend to have done a comprehensive survey of any sort.
NJS

Fri Sep 23, 2011 8:15 pm

Try Corgi (ie Welsh-made, as shredder suggested).
NJS
rodes

Sat Sep 24, 2011 12:33 am

I must agree with Concordia. Ben Silver for sized, OTC socks of cotton or wool. Interesting patterns and good quality.
Sir Royston

Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:16 am

Fogey Unlimited would like to announce something very special.. Coming soon.. a range of PANTHERELLA and SCOTT NICHOL hosiery.. To be the first to find out about these, send us a message and we will let you know...
www.fogeyunlimited.co.uk
Berwick

Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:59 pm

The EG store on Jermyn Street (opposite N&L) stocks (or stocked a few months ago) the Scott-Nichol birdseye ones, which are quite nice.
Manself

Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:29 pm

I apologise for using the Lounge to advertise my employer, but I believe it's justified in the case. Mr Porter stocks lots of Bresciani socks:
http://www.mrporter.com/Shop/Accessorie ... =Bresciani
Sir Royston

Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:22 am

UPDATE: New ranges of Pantherella and Scott-Nicholl socks available now.. All new colours in stock. And as as a gift to The London Lounge members.. just use the code LONDONLOUNGE at the checkout to receive a 20% discount..Thank you
www.fogeyunlimited.co.uk
Last edited by Sir Royston on Thu May 30, 2013 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
  • Information