The Style of Gianni Agnelli

"He had that supreme elegance of being, quite simply, what he was."

-C. Albaret describing Marcel Proust

Style, chic, presence, sex appeal: whatever you call it, you can discuss it here.
Rowly

Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:31 pm

This man is my style hero. He is most comfortable in what suits him best. I love the way he dresses tweeds up with db suits and tones down the formality of the db (or suit for that matter) with tweeds and flannels. I am more and more drawn to this Rus in Urbe, (but at the most citified genteel end of the spectrum) look. This is a man who can do business, but is ever ready, at a moment's notice to tackle the more serious and pressing engagements of leisure.
I am so sorry to have missed out on the two Agnelli cloth club offerings, both grey and blue.
My main focus at the minute is to find suiting designed for leisure away from the office, but not out of place in the West End, say on the weekend. The struggle continues.... Great pics!
Gruto

Thu Sep 15, 2011 7:40 am

Indeed, Agnelli is a fabulous dresser and very stylish, but I really don't see him as a man of style in the LL sense of the word, that is, as a person who expresses what he is. I see a lot of trying to emulate a simplistic autocratic ideal ignoring life's not-so-easy stuff, feelings, for instance.
Rowly

Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:10 am

Well, I know nothing of his private life or attitudes, and care even less....but that gives me a clean slate free from bias to admire his dress sense, which I do without reservation. I would add that this tweedy urbane look seems to flatter men with curly hair and gives a sportsman kind of look, I think. As far as the Lounge is concerned, I have often noted Alden's advice to be more flamboyant and not just stick to drab safe uniform type suits. I couldn't agree more with this advice.
Gruto

Thu Sep 15, 2011 1:28 pm

Rowly wrote:Well, I know nothing of his private life or attitudes, and care even less....but that gives me a clean slate free from bias to admire his dress sense, which I do without reservation. I would add that this tweedy urbane look seems to flatter men with curly hair and gives a sportsman kind of look, I think. As far as the Lounge is concerned, I have often noted Alden's advice to be more flamboyant and not just stick to drab safe uniform type suits. I couldn't agree more with this advice.
He is definitely a source for inspiration in regards to dressing. I like your observation about the tweedy urban look and curly hair. He just doesn't have Style judging from the photos, IMO. The same could be said about the DoW. Compare them to Marlon Brando or Orson Welles, and they will look quite ordinary.

Rowly

Thu Sep 15, 2011 6:03 pm

I think Welles, to some extent, was a bit foppish and attention seeking in his dress perhaps playing up the eccentric image. Brando, with his looks and shape would look good in anything. Agnelli , I think, shows a bit of an affectation with his watch worn over his cuff, which again could be attention seeking, or maybe his signature hint at non conformity. Without knowing these men personally, it's difficult to say. There are wealthy men who want the best of everything and, having no artistic sensitivity, leave all decisions to their Tailor, Architect, etc without having any desire to collaborate or give any opinions and I'm sure there are many sartorial equivalents of Betty Noyes ( the Tailor, who dresses them as well as makes for them ), where the credit erroneously goes to Lina Lamont ( the well dressed customer ). Of course I could be wrong and these things are a matter of opinion, but to me, Agnelli looks congruent and comfortable in his clothes. They look well on him and he looks like a man who enjoys having successfully achieved self expression through his clothes.
mrdraper

Thu Nov 17, 2011 2:09 pm

a timeless look
  • Information