This is a pipe smoking zone

Discuss travel, watches, gastronomy, wines, boats and all other aspects of the Elegant life
dopey

Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:33 am

Distribution of the Sam Gawith and Gawith, Hoggarth & Co. products is somewhat limited here. Or perhaps it is just that their actual production is limited. In any event, spurred by your enthusiasm, here is what I have on order-driven by availability as much as anything else:
Samuel Gawith- Golden Glow
Gawith, Hoggarth-Black Irish X Unsliced
Samuel Gawith- Balkan Flake
Samuel Gawith- Black XX Twist (Rope)

I also picked up some S.Gawith 1792 flake at a local shop. That is supposed to be some odd stuff and it will be fun to try. Have you sampled any, Alden?

In the meantime, I am working through the Macbaren Latakia roll cake, enjoying it tonight in a Dunhill Amber Root Prince. I can see why you think it tasted funny, as it is neither a Virginia nor an English blend, but I like the sort of chewy flavor in the smoke. . . and the Prince is a prince of a pipe.
alden

Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:26 am

Dopey,

Distribution of the Sam Gawith and Gawith, Hoggarth & Co. products is limited as they are almost artisanal productions using techniques from a century and a half ago. They are also natural tobaccos, no artificial flavorings in the casings etc. Take a minute and read about them on their websites.

The ropes you picked are very strong. They will make a Bolivar seem like a cigarillo. I used to smoke them, but no more. Get a good sharp pen knife and slice off very thin slices, let it dry and then smoke slow.

The 1792 is another nicotine powerhouse, too strong for me, but a very good tobacco.

The vendors in the States I mentioned early in this thread still seem to carry the Lakeland tobaccos. I listed a few of my favorites in this thread. If you like a medium to strong flavor, you should try Dark Birdseye by G&H. The Full Virginia Flake by SG is another classic. You can also order from Synjecho in CH and the descriptions of the tobaccos on their site are very good.

Michael
dopey

Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:29 am

Synjeco no longer ships tobacco to the United States (nor do several other European retailers).

I will try to pick up some of the Virginia flakes when they restock.
NJS

Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:08 pm

A friend in the UK uses this US site for tobacco: http://www.4noggins.com/tinnedtobacco.aspx

NJS
dopey

Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:49 pm

NJS wrote:A friend in the UK uses this US site for tobacco: http://www.4noggins.com/tinnedtobacco.aspx

NJS
Most appreciated.
You and Alden have now cost me a tidy sum of change.
I doubled up on most purchases and plan on storing much of it, both to see how the tobacco ages and as insurance against the taxing of internet sales of pipe tobacco (when I buy locally, it is, literally, twice as expensive because of special taxes). Between yesterday and today, I ordered a wide variety from those two makers, as well as some new GL Pease blends I haven't tried (Odyssey, together with Esoterica's Penzance (made by J.F.Germain on Jersey) is my go-to English style blend and I enjoy Telegraph Hill and Fillmore, in the Virginia category as well). Alden-you might look in to Triple Play for yourself. All told, over the next three years, I will be sampling, in addition to the supply I have already set aside:
Samuel Gawith CHOCOLATE FLAKE
Samuel Gawith GROUSEMOOR
Samuel Gawith- Balkan Flake
Samuel Gawith- Black XX Twist (Rope)
Samuel Gawith-1792
Samuel Gawith- Kendal Cream Flake
Samuel Gawith- Perfection
Samuel Gawith- Sam's Flake
Samuel Gawith- Squadron Leader
Samuel Gawith- Golden Glow
Gawith, Hoggarth-Black Irish X Unsliced
Gawith Hoggarth BOB'S CHOCOLATE FLAKE 50g
Gawith Hoggarth BALKAN MIXTURE 50g
Gawith Hoggarth Bulk BEST BROWN #2
davidhuh

Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:16 pm

uppercase wrote:All this talk is going to get me smoking again.
Uppercase, same here. dopey's shopping list just blew away the rest of my resistance :roll:
Just checked on my pipes, they are ready to go :D
NJS

Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:52 pm

Dopey - the prices look fairly reasonable and, on an economical note (!), the same friend discovered this pipemaker; http://www.blakemar.co.uk which hand-makes unadorned (but attractive) pipes, in various grades, at incredibly affordable prices. Douglas Bader was a sometime customer. A couple of the current straight-grains appear to be absolutely unbelievable value. However, I cannot claim any personal experience of how they smoke.

So far as health issues are concerned: moderate pipe-smoking probably presents one of the greatest smoking pleasures, at the least risk. Another of my friends had a grandfather, who was sometime in antiquarian books for one of the great auction houses and his every day included finishing The Times crossword puzzle and smoking a single bowl of Afrikaans mixture (I've never found it). He died, aged 98, having just finished his crossword puzzle and having been told that his first great-grandson had been born; whether he went out in plumes of his favourite smoke I don't know but his example shows that a bowl or two of decent 'baccy needn't shorten life to any significant extent and (heresy to say it in these times) but it might even extend it because there's always the next bowl to fill! I understand that several good London tobacconists have closed the shutters recently but the manufacture and enjoyment of pipe tobacco seems to continue; as well as the manufacture and enjoyment of snuff.
NJS
alden

Thu Sep 08, 2011 8:04 am

Dopey

Well done! Tobacco, if properly stored improves with age. I have decades old tins of since vanished tobaccos that are sublime. I am very happy to have bought them when and in the quantity I did.

NJS

Blackmar pipes are quite good. I have two Princes from them. But for a little bit more one can buy a Ferndown by Les Wood...

Michael
dopey

Thu Sep 08, 2011 12:27 pm

As you say, Alden, hoarding pipe tobacco is a worthwhile venture. My usual habit is to buy new blends in groups of two - one to smoke now and one to store and age. If I like the blend and go back to it, I do the same when I buy more so the supply of the blend in storage goes up as well. If I find something I particularly like, I may buy a few extra tins just to put away. And as I mentioned, the cost factor is not insignificant. If I buy online, the pair of tins costs the same as a single tin bought in person. I still buy a bit locally as I want to support the shops, but larger orders are always done from the e-tailers.

Did you get the Blackmar special edition prince, Aldens? I would have bought one, had I known about it. Other than the silver band, that is very similar to what Trever Talbert does with his Ligne Bretagne - new pipes made out of old wood. These boxes of ancient well-aged briar pre-turned stummels seem to turn up with some frequency these days. Not surprising given the number of pipemakers who are now no more but were at one time aging large supplies of WIP inventory for future production. While these occasionally surfacing hoards are too small and sporadic to be useful to the larger factories, the smaller makers make good use of them, which is to the benefit of those of us who like smaller pipes in the classic shapes.
Last edited by dopey on Thu Oct 27, 2011 2:14 pm, edited 3 times in total.
alden

Thu Sep 08, 2011 2:00 pm

Did you get the Blackmar special edition prince, Aldens? I would have bought one, had I known about it.
Yes, I bought three of them and one was a gift to a good friend. They are nice pipes.

Finding the good naturally aged briar is the trick. It just like trying to find wood that was cut and aged properly for custom furniture. These ancient techniques have all but vanished, like tailoring may do someday as well. Cloth was also always aged for a year or so before being put on the market. And less we speak about aged cigars, and wine.

Michael
dopey

Thu Sep 08, 2011 6:12 pm

By the way, for those in New York who are interested in pipes, I would recommend Barclay Rex (on 51st and Lex) and De La Concha (on 6th Avenue around 56th or 57th Street). Both shops have expert advice. There is a [surprisingly] young [looking] man at Barclay Rex who really knows his pipe tobacco. It has always been he who helped me, so I don't know if the other employees are equally knowledgeable. De La Concha has at least two salesman who are knowledgeable pipe smokers. Barclay Rex has a more extensive collection of tobaccos, a less extensive high end pipe collection but a nice collection of "basket" pipes (meaning cheap) if you want to step in without getting too wet. De La Concha has plenty of tobacco, too, and a nice stock of pipes, including Dunhill, Stanwell, Savinelli, Radice and some of the other Italian makes. I would rate them even higher, but they were bought by Davidoff, which has imposed silly restrictions like not letting them sell Zippo lighters and getting rid of the basket pipes. The new Davidoff store on 53rd and Madison is convenient if you know the tobacco you want and they carry it, but pipes are clearly their red-headed stepchild now (the new cigar lounge is, on the other hand, huge). Barclay Rex is primarily a pipe shop with a large cigar selection, and De La Concha is a pipe/cigar shop.
dopey

Sun Sep 11, 2011 4:06 pm

Well, NJS, my shipment fro 4Noggins arrived. They included a sample of one of their own blends, which I have been enjoying this morning while watching my daughter ride her bike around the NY Fire Department's 9-11 memorial service. It is called Weybridge and is a classic version of an American Virginia blend - Virginias with a little burley and some Louisiana Perique. It offered a pleasant, smooth burning flavor, with a little Virginia sweetness that had me topping up the bowl all morning. The Lakelands may have to wait a while.
NJS

Sun Sep 11, 2011 4:18 pm

dopey wrote:Well, NJS, my shipment fro 4Noggins arrived. They included a sample of one of their own blends, which I have been enjoying this morning while watching my daughter ride her bike around the NY Fire Department's 9-11 memorial service. It is called Weybridge and is a classic version of an American Virginia blend - Virginias with a little burley and some Louisiana Perique. It offered a pleasant, smooth burning flavor, with a little Virginia sweetness that had me topping up the bowl all morning. The Lakelands may have to wait a while.
Excellent. I have heard that they provide a good customer service and including the sample is a nice touch. Now, of course, I am reaching for a trusty 'Christmas billiard'. I have no idea why it is so named!
NJS
alden

Sun Sep 11, 2011 4:50 pm

Dopey

Sounds like you would like Bell's "Three Nuns" VA with L Perrique in a curly cut. I may have to try the Weybridge.

Michael
NJS

Sun Sep 11, 2011 4:58 pm

alden wrote:Dopey

Sounds like you would like Bell's "Three Nuns" VA with L Perrique in a curly cut. I may have to try the Weybridge.

Michael
Three Nuns contains some Brazilian tobacco - which is often under estimated.
NJS
  • Information