The best cook and wine books?

Discuss travel, watches, gastronomy, wines, boats and all other aspects of the Elegant life
Costi

Thu Sep 01, 2011 6:12 am

NJS wrote:Babette's Feast - one of my late sister's favourite films and I shall, at last, watch it!
NJS
Nicholas, in this case I can only anticipate that the very last reply shall bear a particular significance to you. But I am sure you won't skip directly to it out of curiosity, because, as one who appreciates (and necessitates) pleasure, you know how easily it can be spoiled by impatience...
NJS

Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:17 pm

Costi wrote:
NJS wrote:Babette's Feast - one of my late sister's favourite films and I shall, at last, watch it!
NJS
Nicholas, in this case I can only anticipate that the very last reply shall bear a particular significance to you. But I am sure you won't skip directly to it out of curiosity, because, as one who appreciates (and necessitates) pleasure, you know how easily it can be spoiled by impatience...
It was the link that I was indirectly referring to but for the reminder of the film and the link I should have thanked you direct and this it is now my pleasure to do!
NJS
Costi

Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:53 pm

No necessity to thank, Nicholas, and the pleasure is all mine! :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qC3AQ27uS0Q
Costi

Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:42 pm

"The pleasure of the plains" may also be read as the pleasure of simple things, non? :)
The opening speech to a music festival that started in my town tonight was given by a writer that I very much appreciate, who noted that we tend to forget how important joy is in life. Joy and en-joying the pleasures life offers. Music, in his view, was essential for being a shared pleasure (orchestra - soloist - conductor - audience), as well as for illustrating consonant diversity: while each instrument plays its own score, all voices come together harmoniously, sym-phonically. Perhaps it is not a chance that we speak of wine tasting in terms of "accords".
NJS

Fri Sep 02, 2011 2:05 am

Costi wrote:"The pleasure of the plains" may also be read as the pleasure of simple things, non? :)
The opening speech to a music festival that started in my town tonight was given by a writer that I very much appreciate, who noted that we tend to forget how important joy is in life. Joy and en-joying the pleasures life offers. Music, in his view, was essential for being a shared pleasure (orchestra - soloist - conductor - audience), as well as for illustrating consonant diversity: while each instrument plays its own score, all voices come together harmoniously, sym-phonically. Perhaps it is not a chance that we speak of wine tasting in terms of "accords".
As well as the accords within wine: wine also comprises accords and complements to food. As Andre Simon said: "Food without wine is a corpse; wine without food is a ghost; united and well-matched, they are as body and soul, living partners."
NJS
couch

Fri Sep 02, 2011 3:42 am

Gruto wrote:Please enlighten me: what makes Hugh Johnson's wine books so influential? Does he simply have a superior experience and taste?

I'm no expert in wine, but it has always seemed odd to me that such a subjective field like wine can be dominated so much by one single person. We would never accept that in the field of style :D
In addition to seconding NJS's excellent reply to this, Gruto, I'd just point out that Johnson has an easy, elegant writing style, sound facts, wide experience, evident curiosity that has led to some innovations (such as the atlas) and an infectious enthusiasm. This makes him, like Dickens or Tolstoy, both substantive and popular with a wide audience.

For amateurs of wine, however, he hardly dominates the field, where any number of writers remain notable for style, influence on production or trade, specific expertise, or remarkable palate. NJS has invoked Andre Simon,"the charismatic leader of the English wine trade for almost all of the first half of the 20th century, and the grand old man of literate connoisseurship for a further 20 years" in Hugh Johnson's tribute. There was George Saintsbury before him. Among the British writers, Edmund Penning-Rowsell's knowledge of Bordeaux was unequaled and his book on the subject remains a masterpiece. I've mentioned Michael Broadbent; Emile Peynaud; and though his influence is notoriously double-edged, the American attorney Robert M. Parker of The Wine Advocate has a legendary palate and memory for wine and pioneered the "Consumer Reports" style of reviewing. Especially in the early years, his notes have always been worth reading.

Unfortunately Parker's personal taste preferences have distorted traditions in many parts of the world, and his judgments can make or break not only individual producers or vintages in the marketplace, but entire appellations. In terms of actual influence on events, Hugh Johnson is merely a fly to Parker's elephant. And there are a score at least of other writers respected in their areas of expertise, and younger ones maturing as we speak. So you needn't worry that Johnson bestrides the wine world like a colossus . . . . He has plenty of company. He is, perhaps, one of the best places to start.
Last edited by couch on Fri Sep 02, 2011 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Costi

Fri Sep 02, 2011 6:22 am

NJS wrote:As Andre Simon said: "Food without wine is a corpse; wine without food is a ghost; united and well-matched, they are as body and soul, living partners."
NJS
Quite a... eucharistic view, I should say :)
davidhuh

Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:40 am

couch wrote: For amateurs of wine, however, he hardly dominates the field, where any number of writers remain notable for style, influence on production or trade, specific expertise, or remarkable palate. NJS has invoked Andre Simon,"the charismatic leader of the English wine trade for almost all of the first half of the 20th century, and the grand old man of literate connoisseurship for a further 20 years" in Hugh Johnson's tribute. There was George Saintsbury before him. Among the British writers, Edmund Penning-Rowsell's knowledge of Bordeaux was unequaled and his book on the subject remains a masterpiece. I've mentioned Michael Broadbent; Emile Peynaud; and though his influence is notoriously double-edged, the American attorney Robert B. Parker of The Wine Advocate has a legendary palate and memory for wine and pioneered the "Consumer Reports" style of reviewing. Especially in the early years, his notes have always been worth reading.

Unfortunately Parker's personal taste preferences have distorted traditions in many parts of the world, and his judgments can make or break not only individual producers or vintages in the marketplace, but entire appellations. In terms of actual influence on events, Hugh Johnson is merely a fly to Parker's elephant. And there are a score at least of other writers respected in their areas of expertise, and younger ones maturing as we speak. So you needn't worry that Johnson bestrides the wine world like a colossus . . . . He has plenty of company. He is, perhaps, one of the best places to start.
Dear couch,

well said, thank you. I agree with all your references, however, sadly, especially with what you say on Parker.

This man is to be held in charge for promoting unified taste, full bodied wines that cannot be stored and will not mature in a cellar. Many subtle wines have become an endangered species, thanks to this man's efforts. :cry:

cheers, david
NJS

Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:20 pm

Costi wrote:
NJS wrote:As Andre Simon said: "Food without wine is a corpse; wine without food is a ghost; united and well-matched, they are as body and soul, living partners."
NJS
Quite a... eucharistic view, I should say :)
That Christ chose bread and wine to symbolize His Sacrifice and the Blood of the New Covenant, as well as the reference to our daily bread in the Lord's Prayer, surely tells us something of the Divine view of food and drink. There is no reference in the Lord's Prayer to "Give us this day our latest SR creation" or indeed any raiment!
NJS
alden

Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:35 pm

I think what is implied in the teaching is that if you celebrate the testament enthusiastically , as many of us do every day, you will need to make sure there is plenty of inlay in your raiments. :D
alden

Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:46 pm

Robert Parker had two major achievements. He democraticized wine. And he created a vast market for a new alcoholic beverage based on grape juice.

The democratization led to the explosion of prices on wine. Who remembers pre Parker America, when a tiny fraction of the country drank wine at all? And who remembers when the great Bordeauxs and Burgandies cost a handful of dollars? Not anymore.

I think the creation of the new beverage did little harm to those who know what wine is, and the people who imbibe the concoctions of artificial flavorings, sulphur with a little grape juice don't know better.
NJS

Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:47 pm

alden wrote:I think what is implied in the teaching is that if you celebrate the testament enthusiastically , as many of us do every day, you will need to make sure there is plenty of inlay in your raiments. :D
:lol: :lol:
NJS
davidhuh

Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:53 pm

alden wrote:Robert Parker had two major achievements. He democraticized wine. And he created a vast market for a new alcoholic beverage based on grape juice.
Dear Michael,

this is a very kind and polite way to say it. Unfortunately, this is one of the topics I can be very emotional about...

cheers, david
  • Information