Overcoats and handkerchiefs?

"The brute covers himself, the rich man and the fop adorn themselves, the elegant man dresses!"

-Honore de Balzac

All over the world

Mon Aug 29, 2011 6:48 am

Other than in old photographs I have never seen a man wear a handkerchief in his overcoat breast pocket and I have seen many magnificent coats. Is it just not done anymore or perhaps is it so that when a handkerchief is worn in one's blazer's front pocket there is no need to wear one on the overcoat? Do you put a handkerchief in your overcoat breast pocket? I sure want to, though I'll have to find one that isn't made of silk in case it rains... :D
DFR

Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:06 am

HRH The Duke of Edinburgh invariably does.
All over the world

Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:16 am

DFR wrote:HRH The Duke of Edinburgh invariably does.
Oh, so indeed he does. :)

I suppose this makes it perfectly good practice then!
Mark Seitelman

Mon Aug 29, 2011 1:48 pm

It is worn very rarely for a number of reasons:

1. It looks old fashion and a bit dandyish. It also calls attention to oneself.

2. Most overcoats do not have a breast pocket.

3. It is suitable only for a more formal overcoat and not a raglan overcoat which has been very popular.

4. The look can be pulled-off only if one's outfit and grooming are impeccable and conservative. It would look ridiculous with a unshaven face or a baseball hat.

Nonetheless, a cotton or linen pocket square is acceptable.
Cufflink79

Mon Aug 29, 2011 2:47 pm

If a breast pocket is there, use a nice white pocket square in linen or cotton.

It just looks so sharp. :D

Best Regards,

Cufflink79
Costi

Mon Aug 29, 2011 3:13 pm

It's a good place to keep one's gloves, too, of course...
All over the world

Mon Aug 29, 2011 3:38 pm

I suppose it would work best with chesterfields and other double breasted coats. What if one isn't wearing a tie? Or even a blazer?

I have done it a couple of times and people in Belgravia were staring at me. I don't know whether it is because they aren't used to see double breasted overcoats or the handkerchief, whether they didn't like it or what ever the reason may be but it makes people stare. I like the look but I don't like people staring at me.

Sometimes when I am warm but the weather outside is cold or often when I am travelling I'll just wear an oxford shirt with some classic jeans and a pair of moccasins/loafers with a double breasted overcoat. It may sound strange but I find the contrast between the formality of the double breasted overcoat and the rest of the outfit very interesting. Then I don't wear blazers often because I get warm so easily.
Costi

Mon Aug 29, 2011 4:26 pm

DB overcoats needn't be formal at all

(and breast pockets needn't necessarily be stuffed just because they exist...)
All over the world

Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:43 am

Costi wrote:DB overcoats needn't be formal at all

(and breast pockets needn't necessarily be stuffed just because they exist...)
That's a nice fabric, is it tweed?

Formality depends on the fabric and style of the garment, I'd say a blue Chesterfield will look very formal in the countryside.
Costi

Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:36 am

All over the world wrote:Formality depends on the fabric and style of the garment, I'd say a blue Chesterfield will look very formal in the countryside.
Absolutely - not just formal, but inappropriate. However, a DB like the one above can easily travel between town and country.
viewtopic.php?f=32&t=8406&p=39428&hilit ... +DB#p39428
All over the world

Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:41 pm

Costi wrote:
All over the world wrote:Formality depends on the fabric and style of the garment, I'd say a blue Chesterfield will look very formal in the countryside.
Absolutely - not just formal, but inappropriate. However, a DB like the one above can easily travel between town and country.
viewtopic.php?f=32&t=8406&p=39428&hilit ... +DB#p39428
Thanks for the link! :)

Why would it be inappropriate? Do you think the French King and Court dressed down when they visited the countryside? I have some nice 'Gravures' of French Gentlemen wearing beautiful coloured court garments and even powdered wigs while hunting.
Costi

Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:49 pm

Aha, you do... But why then do you believe "a blue Chesterfield will look very formal in the countryside"? Wouldn't it look very formal... all over the world?

You're welcome for the link.
All over the world

Thu Sep 01, 2011 5:20 pm

Costi wrote:Aha, you do... But why then do you believe "a blue Chesterfield will look very formal in the countryside"? Wouldn't it look very formal... all over the world?

You're welcome for the link.
Oh, I just meant among other places, of course it is formal everywhere. After all it is a chesterfield! :D
Costi

Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:04 pm

My dear AOTW, you can go visit your country mansion in a tailcoat, if you so please - when you have one (a country mansion and a tailcoat, respectively). But even in Mark Twain's story the prince had the common sense to switch clothes with the pauper before roaming the streets. True, that got him into trouble in the end, but at least he was adequately dressed and... very convincing. Mind your part :wink:
A bon entendeur, salut!
  • Information