The best cook and wine books?

Discuss travel, watches, gastronomy, wines, boats and all other aspects of the Elegant life
All over the world

Sat Aug 27, 2011 5:00 pm

I am tired of ugly cookbooks that look like they were written for a teenager. I don't mind pictures but nowadays everything is just so... Vulgar! Many books are presented in a magazine format with caricatural drawings, purple text and all that strange stuff... I'm a grown man and I don't want that 12 year old stuff in my books. That doesn't mean that it should be black and white either, I just want 'nice' old fashioned books so to speak.

I have always been one for hardback books. If I wouldn't be proud to have it stand next to my grandmother's old books I simply don't buy it.

I recently purchased two books, 'The Essentials of Classic Italian Cooking' and 'The Craft of the Cocktail' which came highly recommended. I am teaching myself how to cook since I am moving into my own place now and as I don't wish to limit myself to Italian food I was wondering what else is out there. I'd love your recommendations! :)

I am also very interested in learning more about wines, perhaps a good book on that subject would also be a good read. I don't know my Chateau Margaux' from my Rose de Vitrac's. :D

Thanks once again!
NJS

Sun Aug 28, 2011 12:00 am

Mrs Beeton's books still take some beating; anything by Elizabeth David on grub, and Hugh Johnson on wine. I just wish that someone would write one called: "Delia Smiff and Jymie Olivah: Go 'ang".
NJS
All over the world

Sun Aug 28, 2011 12:15 am

NJS wrote:Mrs Beeton's books still take some beating; anything by Elizabeth David on grub, and Hugh Johnson on wine. I just wish that someone would write one called: "Delia Smiff and Jymie Olivah: Go 'ang".
NJS
Any in particular for the wine books? :) :)
davidhuh

Sun Aug 28, 2011 1:39 am

Phaidon has very nice cook books, I have several: http://www.phaidon.co.uk/agenda/food/

One exception though, El Bulli molecular cooking is a "no go" for me :mrgreen:

On wine, I agree with NJS. Johnson is the bible and the koran

cheers, david
All over the world

Sun Aug 28, 2011 7:04 pm

Any in particular?

I'll only be buying one book per topic. I'm not too wealthy. :)
AndyM

Sun Aug 28, 2011 7:21 pm

Another vote for Hugh Johnson. I can't remember the title but I bought one of his books about forty years ago, he is very knowledgeable and writes extremely well. I found I enjoyed wine more after learning about the subject (I also drank more wine!).
davidhuh

Sun Aug 28, 2011 8:50 pm

All over the world wrote:Any in particular?

I'll only be buying one book per topic. I'm not too wealthy. :)
If you buy one, pre-order the Silver Spoon: http://www.phaidon.co.uk/the-silver-spo ... 714862453/

This is an amazing book, and a classic. If you like Italian food, this book is all you need :D

Other good ones I can recommend:
- the India Cookbook, http://www.phaidon.co.uk/store/food-coo ... 714859026/
- the Spanish one, http://www.phaidon.co.uk/store/food-coo ... 714847832/
All over the world

Mon Aug 29, 2011 2:26 am

Well I already have an Italian cookbook but I sure will look up the Spanish and Indian one. :)

What about Shepherds Pie, Hashbrown and stuff? An american cookbook? Or is that stuff British?
Costi

Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:28 am

All over the world wrote:I am tired of ugly cookbooks
If I wouldn't be proud to have it stand next to my grandmother's old books I simply don't buy it.
You may be missing out on a few good things on account of your love of beauty. Italians have a desert called "brutto ma buono" - good but ugly...
That goes for a good many tasty things.
And then there's the aesthetics of the ugly - the broken up crust of good bread not only is the tastiest part of a loaf, but actually makes it apetizing.
All over the world

Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:59 am

Oh I don't mind the food being ugly. However I do not like buying ugly books.
Costi

Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:10 am

OK, so you like it spelled out in uppercase :wink: :
UGLY BOOKS MAY HIDE DELICIOUS RECIPES
(or great wisdom...)
There it is!

Elegant doesn't have to be pretty.
All over the world

Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:28 am

Costi wrote:OK, so you like it spelled out in uppercase :wink: :
UGLY BOOKS MAY HIDE DELICIOUS RECIPES
(or great wisdom...)
There it is!

Elegant doesn't have to be pretty.
Appearances Costi! My plans for the future don't include a super modern home with glass and aluminium everywhere, multicoloured books and magazines with a huge television on the wall. That's why I buy hardcover books whenever I can. I want everything I own to be as elegant as possible. I know that the cover isn't like the recipes. I just wish to combine a nice cover with a good book. :)
Costi

Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:21 am

All over the world wrote:That's why I buy hardcover books whenever I can.
Unless you are a bibliophile (in which case you should look much beyond "hardbacks"), the elegance of a book is in its content. And only after it has been read.
Pretty books with uncut pages make terribly sad shelf decoration...
All over the world

Mon Aug 29, 2011 3:53 pm

I just like plain hardcover books. :)
Costi

Mon Aug 29, 2011 4:41 pm

... and paintings with golden frames? Or do you prefer the ones in shades of blue, to go with the curtains? :wink:
  • Information