Conservative Custom Clothing Role Models

"The brute covers himself, the rich man and the fop adorn themselves, the elegant man dresses!"

-Honore de Balzac

Capekid

Sat Jul 16, 2011 12:59 am

Being in the tailored clothing business and when 99% of your customers need to dress in a manner that is safe yet has some sort of luxury to it has made me do a lot of thinking about my own clothing choices and also review others in a different way. One of the sayings about dressing thrown around is "if you saw a man walking down the street wearing a dark suit, white shirt, dark tie and white handkerchief, that was cut in ways that complemented him, you'd say he's well dressed. Even though he is wearing 2 colors, he looks better than the guy trying out all the patterns and colors." So behold these two men who are examples of men that need clothes to adapt to different environments. The first is Ed Moy, he worked in both Bush administrations. He literally is conservative, but he isn't afraid to don turnback cuffs, and DB's in DC. Lastly is Philip Miller, former CEO of Saks, Neiman Marcus and Marshall Fields. Miller is my personal fave. Moy wears A&S and Miller used to wear Flusser. Who else would you recommend to people that love clothes but need to be conservative?

Moy:

Miller:

Wearing a Phineas Cole tie...

Last edited by Capekid on Sat Mar 31, 2012 12:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
rodes

Sun Jul 17, 2011 5:15 pm

This is quite an interesting topic and well worth thinking about. It is not always easy to look stylish without looking flashy. The tasteful conservative dresser wants the former but must avoid the latter at all costs. I like the two examples you have advanced even though the collar pin crosses the line for me. Of the two I prefer Mr. Moy. Mr. Miller is a handsome man who IMO would look even more so without the ticket pocket,too crisp chalk stripes,too neatly folded pocket square and collar pin. The total effect is not as casually elegant as that of Mr. Moy who strikes me as a few degrees less studied.
To your examples I would add a few who immediately come to mind. Brit Hume of Fox News,Anthony Mason of CBS,and Presidential contender,Herman Cain. Prince Charles,IMO,would be at or near the top of any list.
zaki

Sun Jul 17, 2011 7:08 pm

One of the sayings about dressing thrown around is "if you saw a man walking down the street wearing a dark suit, white shirt, dark tie and white handkerchief, that was cut in ways that complemented him, you'd say he's well dressed. Even though he is wearing 2 colors, he looks better than the guy trying out all the patterns and colors."

I used to think like that but I need to disagree. It won't suit every skin palette. For some using colours is a necessity. Dark suit, white shirt, white hanky and dark tie is a big no for me due to lightness and peachness of my complexion. Most Poles will also look not too good in that combination. Italians and Spanish of darker complexion certainly will look magnificent. You do need to have at least dark hair to pull that look nicely.
alden

Mon Jul 18, 2011 1:07 pm

Rode's analysis of Miller's dress seems spot on to me.

Ed Moy is an LL member, so we would expect great things from him. :D

Zaki, if you put a very light blue shirt with the dark outfit, you will find your complexion is brightened. The white shirt is a challenge, especially in the winter months, for many of us. What is also amusing, besides colors and complexions, is seeing very pasty faced Anglo Saxons wearing spirited, and extroverted Latin clothing that looks great in Naples but is painful to see outside of that cities limits. :D

Cheers
  • Information