What is your favourite watch?

Discuss travel, watches, gastronomy, wines, boats and all other aspects of the Elegant life
Costi

Sun Jul 03, 2011 11:01 pm

All over the world wrote:
Costi wrote:The Timeless
Hahaha! :D
:)
All over the world

Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:11 pm

Costi wrote:
All over the world wrote:
Costi wrote:The Timeless
Hahaha! :D
:)
Probably the most expensive watch there is! Hard to keep on the wrist too I'd say! :wink:
Costi

Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:53 pm

It's watch to watch, not wear...

Somewhat opulent and not entirely best taste, but I was always fascinated by the principle of these simbiotic pieces d'horologerie:
http://www.breguet.com/it/6120ZD-12
All over the world

Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:51 pm

Costi wrote:It's watch to watch, not wear...

Somewhat opulent and not entirely best taste, but I was always fascinated by the principle of these simbiotic pieces d'horologerie:
http://www.breguet.com/it/6120ZD-12
Beautiful, a bit too much gold perhaps though? :wink:
J.S. Groot

Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:09 am

For watches I enjoy simplicity. Intricate skeleton constructions are wonderous to behold but to me becomes large and honky when strapped to your wrist.

Danish maker Ole Mathiasen is neither particularly illustrious nor is he steeped in the secrets of horology. I still like his signature watch though. Sleek and elegant:

Another Danish maker has created an Arne Jacobsen (danish architect) tribute watch. Perhaps too modern for some, but I quite like them:

All over the world

Wed Jul 06, 2011 4:37 pm

J.S. Groot wrote:For watches I enjoy simplicity. Intricate skeleton constructions are wonderous to behold but to me becomes large and honky when strapped to your wrist.

Danish maker Ole Mathiasen is neither particularly illustrious nor is he steeped in the secrets of horology. I still like his signature watch though. Sleek and elegant:

I've always loved roman numerals on watches!
tteplitzmd

Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:28 am

We are currently in Switzerland and just bought my son a Breitling Superocean for his birthday. Beautiful.
All over the world

Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:20 pm

tteplitzmd wrote:We are currently in Switzerland and just bought my son a Breitling Superocean for his birthday. Beautiful.
What kind of watch do you wear? :)
Canuck

Fri Jul 08, 2011 3:13 am

tteplitzmd wrote:We are currently in Switzerland and just bought my son a Breitling Superocean for his birthday. Beautiful.
Do you feel that prices of Swiss watches in Switzerland are lower than in the U.K. or North America?
All over the world

Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:18 pm

Canuck wrote:
Do you feel that prices of Swiss watches in Switzerland are lower than in the U.K. or North America?
Most things are cheaper in the US, or so I'm told.
tteplitzmd

Sat Jul 09, 2011 8:00 pm

I wear a rolex. The watches are more expensive in Switzerland based on my current experience with buying a Breitling.
Melcombe

Tue Aug 02, 2011 4:19 pm

This one.

(Apologies for the not very svelte sleeve...)
Rowly

Tue Aug 02, 2011 6:26 pm

I'm waiting for Patek to re-issue the 3796, but scaled up to a 34/35mm dial from 31mm, without altering any other proportions. The current models are ( IMHO) designed to get noticed rather than to look elegantly understated on the wrist.
3796-31mm.JPG
tteplitzmd

Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:38 pm

Any opinions on Breguet Marine BIG DATE in stainless?
Melcombe

Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:45 am

tteplitzmd wrote:Any opinions on Breguet Marine BIG DATE in stainless?
Oh dear. I came to LL to try to wean myself away from watch forums - I just keep slipping...

As for the BMBD, my only criticism of what is undoubtedly an impressive watch is the brand itself. It has a fantastic heritage, a name that it itself a technical term ('Breguet hands') and its watches keep their value well. It is a premier league brand that ranks alongside Lange, Piaget Audemars etc : one step below the Patek Philippe / Vacheron level.

I just don't like their designs. I would say from the outset that I prefer simplicity and therefore find a lot of their designs fussy in the extreme; none of their complications are knowingly understated. Their toubillons are big and showy tourbillons. Their gold cases are in-your-face-from-any-angle gold cases.

They seem a profitable venture so presumably have a loyal fanbase and ready market. Their retail prices are high as befits a brand where you are partly buying into a recognisable name and design set.

If you like a big date, you might also consider A Lange & Sohne 'Lange 1', or if youve a big budget, the Zeitwerk. Slightly more affordable (by comparison anyway...) are several models from Glashutte Original.

Another set of very clearly readable designs are Dornbluth - one of the few high end brands for which 100% of your money is buying a watch rather than a brand image - indeed within the confines of a single case design, the options available on request can make a Dornbluth unique to you.
  • Information