Favourite cloth for odd trousers

"The brute covers himself, the rich man and the fop adorn themselves, the elegant man dresses!"

-Honore de Balzac

newtrane

Mon May 30, 2011 1:39 pm

Some cloths I used:

summer:
- White Linen (W. Bill, 60147, 380g)
- Off White Linen (W. Bill, 60149, 380g)
- Light Grey Finmeresco (Smith, 4069 9/10 oz)

winter:
- Medium Grey Flannel (J. & J. Minnis, 0317, 17 oz)
- Medium Grey Whipcord (Scabal, 500481, 440 g)
- Olive Curduroy (John G. Hardy, 9287, 16 oz)

I would very much appreciate to get more cloth recommendations (with cloth ID) for odd trousers.
tteplitzmd

Mon May 30, 2011 3:14 pm

How about tropical weight Italian or UK gabardines?
Lighter weight worsted flannels?
Italian cotton?

All of these come in excellent range of colors.
Manself

Thu Jun 02, 2011 12:37 pm

I have just discovered that Holland & Sherry still have a 17oz cream flannel - a sample is on its way to me. Have members any experience of this cloth? It's clearly a bit much in the heat, but having commissioned a pair of translucent cream trousers in the past I'd rather err on the side of caution.
Simon A

Thu Jun 02, 2011 1:08 pm

Sounds excellent Manself. Do you have a reference number for that cloth?
yachtie

Thu Jun 02, 2011 6:12 pm

Manself wrote:I have just discovered that Holland & Sherry still have a 17oz cream flannel - a sample is on its way to me. Have members any experience of this cloth? It's clearly a bit much in the heat, but having commissioned a pair of translucent cream trousers in the past I'd rather err on the side of caution.
That is for "winter white" trousers. Think pairing it with a cashmere SC- that's what I do . Great cloth, has a little twill pattern in it. Please note-It is NOT for summer- you'll roast.
Will

Thu Jun 02, 2011 6:23 pm

Manself wrote:I have just discovered that Holland & Sherry still have a 17oz cream flannel - a sample is on its way to me. Have members any experience of this cloth? It's clearly a bit much in the heat, but having commissioned a pair of translucent cream trousers in the past I'd rather err on the side of caution.
I have a pair that I wear on cool sunny days. It's worsted flannel but you don't want much mottling on cream cloth anyway.
yachtie

Thu Jun 09, 2011 4:36 pm

Will wrote:
I have a pair that I wear on cool sunny days. It's worsted flannel but you don't want much mottling on cream cloth anyway.
How did that go? "The coldest winter I ever experienced was summer in San Francisco" ?
:D
Lugano

Thu Jun 16, 2011 6:28 pm

I have received trouser cloth from the John G Hardy Sandringham bunch [burnt orange, 1889]

I have asked Mr Paul Kitsaros to make me a pair of trousers with turn-ups, fishtail back for braces, two forward pleats on each side, and lapped seams.

Usually I prefer heavier weights, but this pair should be suitable for summer.

I welcome comments on the cloth, or my styling choices.
Costi

Thu Jun 16, 2011 6:55 pm

A vivid colour - pleasantly daring. Are you sure about the fishtail back and braces? You might want to wear them without a coat if they are summer trousers - in that case, they look better with a simple waistband (no loops for belt, no buttons for braces) with just a couple of side adjusters, in case you lose some weight. I seem to recall your girth could very well support a pair of beltless, braceless trousers.
Turnups ?
tteplitzmd

Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:07 pm

It worked for me. My cloth was an Italian tropical gabardine in the burnt orange. Ambrosi made a pair of trousers for me. I have two other shades of this cloth, one lighter and one darker.

Lugano

Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:24 pm

your comment about my girth is correct, Costi, and that is why I would sooner stay in the shade than remove my jacket!

tteplitzmd, thank you for posting pictures of your trousers... if mine are half as flattering I will be pleased. I note that you have two exterior 'keys/coins' pockets. I have gone for a single interior one.
Costi

Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:31 pm

I meant it the other way around, Lugano! :) That is, your girth is such that trousers with a high enough waist will not fatally slide down without braces. But if you prefer to suffer the heat... :wink:
yachtie

Fri Jun 17, 2011 4:01 pm

For fall/winter trousers I like heavy venetian. it's a smooth cloth wears fairly cool for the weight. Moxon has some 750g stuff that's awesome.
alden

Fri Jun 17, 2011 4:27 pm

For fall/winter trousers I like heavy venetian. it's a smooth cloth wears fairly cool for the weight. Moxon has some 750g stuff that's awesome.
Yachtie

That sounds great. Do you have any pictures? What colors do they have?

Cheers

Michael
yachtie

Fri Jun 17, 2011 6:59 pm

alden wrote:
Yachtie

That sounds great. Do you have any pictures? What colors do they have?

Cheers

Michael
No pics, sorry. They have about 20 colors on the sample card (I just got "stone/greyge", cream and a mid brown so far). Of course, not all colors are always available but the more common ones are.
  • Information