Shirt Cuffs

"The brute covers himself, the rich man and the fop adorn themselves, the elegant man dresses!"

-Honore de Balzac

Canuck

Tue May 31, 2011 10:52 pm

I live in Western Canada and there is no bespoke tailoring in this part of the word. Consequently, I buy in Toronto, New York and London and spend a lot of time researching on the web. I cam across Kabbaz-Kelly of New York, one of their services is bespoke shirts. At this link

http://archive.constantcontact.com/fs01 ... 49711.html

Kabbaz-Kelly talk about "Single Link Cuffs" and indicated this is the best style cuff available. The cuff accepts a cuff link similar to a French Cuff, with no fold over cloth, just the same as a button cuff but only with a cuff link hole.
If London and Italian shirt makers offer the "Single Link Cuff" they do not advertise it.
I like the idea of a cuff link with out the bulk of a French cuff.
Is there any experience with this cuff or is it a style "faux pas"?

Thank you for the comments.

Canuck
Levi

Tue May 31, 2011 10:55 pm

If I'm not mistaken, this is the type of cuff one wears with his White Tie rig.
couch

Wed Jun 01, 2011 4:42 am

Levi wrote:If I'm not mistaken, this is the type of cuff one wears with his White Tie rig.
Yes. Some illustrative photos on this blog. But if you like the style and are having shirts made, I see no reason not to employ them on semi-formal shirts or shirts for business dress. Though in ultraconservative business dress circles, links generally may be regarded as too flashy, so know your likely environment before specifying. Very few people will notice the difference between a single and double cuff with links. If they do, they probably won't have associations with the single cuff, and any they do have will be favorable to you.
Marcodalondra

Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:11 pm

It is the proper cuff for white tie indeed, but it is also used outside that outfit.

There are many RTW shirtmakers that include a second buttonhole on the button side of a barrell cuff to make it connvertible to cufflinks, and I have also seen RTW and Bespoke neapolitan examples.

I have actually ordered one white shirt from Camiceria Prisco in Naples with single cuff (Polsino falso da gemelli they called it, something like "fake cufflink's cuff").

http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=247055
ItsLouis

Wed Jun 01, 2011 5:30 pm

I was on a similar hunt a while back. Dolce and Gabbana certainly make them RTW. I think there were a few others too but I can't remember
Cufflink79

Thu Jun 02, 2011 3:48 pm

Single linked cuffs can have their place in a business wardrobe. They are mostly seen with white tie and tails, but from time to time you'll see a man in a suit and tie wear the single linked cuff shirt as well.

Floating around the LL forum is a picture of the King of Spain wearing a single linked cuffed shirt with his DB suit and tie.

A single linked cuffed shirt is a benefit for wearers of cuff buttons made in the late 19th to early 20th century, as the antique cuff buttons are not able to go through all four buttonholes on today's shirts.

Another benefit of bespoke anything.

Best Regards,

Cufflink79
NJT

Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:06 am

I have this on a few of my shirts, difference being there is a button attached on the inside cufflink hole which means the cuff can either be worn in the more formal style with a cufflink, or alternatively buttoned so as to look like a barrel cuff.
Robin Milford

Sun Jun 19, 2011 6:22 pm

I have search this site that may be helpful for you. This is for Canada. Lets try it.

http://www.cufflinks.com/
CJC

Sat Jun 25, 2011 1:32 am

I have a shirt on order from the Andover Shop that has single link cuffs (which they just call "link" cuffs)--much though this might offend people here I almost always wear my cuffs unbuttoned anyhow so this struck me as a sensible option. I also like the fact that it allows you to wear cufflinks without the formality (not to mention difficulty wearing sweaters) that comes with French cuffs.
davidhuh

Sat Jun 25, 2011 12:59 pm

There was a post on Will Boehlke's Blog the other day, showing Robert Kennedy wearing such a shirt:
http://asuitablewardrobe.dynend.com/201 ... -cuff.html

cheers, david
  • Information