Day gloves with a business suit

Discuss travel, watches, gastronomy, wines, boats and all other aspects of the Elegant life
hopkins-luder

Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:42 am

Gentlemen,
A brief history: I am a Los Angeles D.A. I have worn a gentleman's hat to work for the last 22 years: snap brim, black derby, grey homburg, fedora, skimmer and optimo crown panama. When I started, I was the only D.A. There was one other lawyer, a defense lawyer from the good old days, who wore a hat also, and had done so since they were common. I am now 57 years old, with a nicely trimmed white RAF/cavalry moustache. I am complimented often as dapper by the people with whom I deal and see all day in the court house. I am undoubtedly also viewed as somewhat eccentric and colourful. At this point in life, though, no one will take me for a lad trying to wear his pappy's long trousers to pass for a grown-up.
Now, there are numerous defense lawyers, detectives, and a couple of D.A.s who sport hats, though they are mostly the stamped-out, untrimmed wool felt variety. That's ok, at least they are making something of a comeback.
To stay ahead of the pack as a style re-setter, though, I have recently acquired two pairs of gloves; chestnut and black. I have an older pair of grey suede gloves with a cuff that I wear folded down so the shirt cuff is visible.
I take the commuter train from the exurbs, and most of the year it's cool enough in the morning to wear an overcoat or topcoat, so the gloves aren't so noticeable. It's when I go out without the coat that they stand out, such as at lunch or walking to the station in the afternoon.
I have my suits and shirts made (nothing retro/thriftstore), but I could have been cast in any number of movies from the '30s. William Powell and Fred Astaire taught my masters program. I have waistcoats made with all of my suits, including the numerous DBs. I could also pass for a well turned out character from the Fry/Laurie Jeeves and Wooster, another sartorial inspiration (db waistcoat with shawl collar).
Come summer, I wear seersucker (a blue DB and grey SB) and a linen suit. I wear these suits with black/white or brown/white spectators. Los Angeles only gets hot in August, and it lasts through mid-October, and I won't wear seersucker unless it is predicted to be at least 85 downtown.
The question that is foremost in my mind: Should I wear gloves with the seersucker and linen suits, and if so, which ones?
On a related topic, I have done much research concerning etiquette, and have concluded that it is proper to remove one's right glove to shake hands with a lady, or apologize if one is unable to do so.
What would be considered proper when shaking hands with another man, who is not wearing gloves?
By the way, Chester Jeffries still offers chamois gloves, in any of their styles. They told me, e.g., that the City Gent would run about 85gbp, with a one time 20gbp bespoke fee.
I have scoured these hallowed topics and found nothing about non-formal day gloves since they were discussed with little detail about six years ago.
In case it's crossed anyone's mind about a walking stick, I'm saving that trump card for my 60th birthday, at which time, I will still have five years, at least, to look forward to as the Dandy of the D.A.'s Office, or the Dapper D.A. as I have been called.
Thank you all in advance for your help. I hope that I will be able to find this thread once it's launched to see your suggestions.
John Hopkins-Luder, Esq.
AndyM

Fri Apr 15, 2011 12:04 pm

Welcome to the Lounge sir! You are amongst kindred spirits.
Personally I would not wear gloves where the climate requires linen or seersucker. In another thread I have praised CJ made to measure, they used to list a chamois option on the website but it seems to have disappeared, glad to hear they are still offering it.
I always remove my glove to shake hands with either a lady or a gentleman. I would never expect a lady to remove her glove.
hopkins-luder

Fri Apr 15, 2011 7:01 pm

Thanks, Andy.
I've looked at as many Esky/AA pix as I could find, and gloves were not included in any of the warm-weather summer wear pictures.
I have no problem with appearing to be eccentric, or even a dandy wearing gloves the rest of the year, but, like my wife, I was concerned that gloves would gild the lilly with seersucker. Worse, I might look like I'd escaped, or been let out on a day-pass.
I find LL to be the resource that is most compatable with my thinking and style and always seek the advice of my fellow Loungers.
Hopkins-Luder
Luca

Fri Jun 03, 2011 3:41 pm

Although stylish dress might often transcend the merely pragmatic, it should always maintain a modicum of functionality. Gloves are essentially cool,or cold-weather items and would therefore be out of place with a particulalry summery suiting like seersucker or linen.

Similarly, I would eschew a walking stick until there is at least potentially a need for support. You mention the age of 60 as an "entry point" and i cannot really disagree with that, unless you are a particularly youthful-looking person, when you reach that age. I should think a healthy 30-40 year-old with a walking stick to have strayed on the wrong side of dandyism.

I hope you will forgive my presumption in offering advice to someone more advanced in their years and wish you well in your admirable decision to remain elegant in this age of stylistic banality.
rodes

Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:00 am

hopkins-luder, I have the exact gloves you describe;CJ,city gent,chamois. I like them very much but wear them very little. The main reason for this is that they become dingy so quickly,attracting everything but women and money. Still I enjoy them and wear them mostly on pleasant, cold weather days with a dark overcoat. Welcome and I hope this helps.
hopkins-luder

Sat Jul 02, 2011 10:14 pm

Gentlemen,
Thanks very much. The weather in Los Angeles and environs has finally shifted from May Grey and June Gloom to full summer. It was in the high 80s downtown yesterday, July 1st, a bit early this year. I was still wearing a three-piece wool suit on Thursday. A week or so ago, I switched to carrying my gloves in one of my hands. Yesterday, I went with the DB blue seersucker, spectators and a Panama Optimo crown. No gloves. I can't disagree with your assessments and suggestions in that regard.
I recently purchased a pair of chamois from a woman in England for 5 pounds. As they were so inexpensive, I had no hesitation about experimenting with cleaning and with attempting to stretch the right glove. They were a bit 'grubby' as my seller noted and showed, with smudges, and dark lines along the creases and folds.
Having used cheap chamois for drying cars after a driveway washing, I knew that it was sturdy and not given to tearing or losing its shape.
I filled the kitchen sink with cold water and two cap-fulls of Woolite (I didn't have Ivory flakes available). I wetted them from the inside first (I don't think I'll do this when I clean them again), then put on one at a time to clean, wetting the outside under running cold water. I used a seasponge wetted and 'lathered' and gently rubbed the entire surface of the glove with a bit of extra lather and pressure on the dark lines. After I rinsed off the outside, I held my hand under running water to let the glove fill, giving it a bit of weight to assist in removal, and gently used multiple pull points to remove the glove. With the right glove, I started slowly spreading my fingers and making a fist, careful not to make too much of an impression on the gloves over the knuckles.
I gently squeezed the water from the gloves without wringing them, then rolled each in a dry towel to absorb more water. I worked the fingers and thumbs so that they were smoothed with seams properly oriented and digits pointing in the right directions. Next, I balled paper towels to place in the palm to prevent their collapsing. Last, I placed them on a dry towel on the backs with the thumbs placed inward over the palm. I rotated them over the next 24 hours, giving all surfaces a chance to dry.
When dried, they were a bit stiff, but I expected as much. I simply rolled them between my palms, like a cylinder, keeping everything pointed in the right direction, not balled like a wad of paper. They softened and became pliable again.
SUCCESS! The right fit perfectly and they were clean. They've become a bit soiled again, naturally. I used a dry seasponge to give them a little brushing, but I haven't yet used a damp or soapy sponge.
A dry sponge is also useful to raise the nap when they're dry.
I can't say that I might be as willing to experiment with 120 pound gloves from C.J., but they are otherwise worthless if soiled and sitting a drawer. I hope that I have assisted those whose gloves are languishing.
I had used a similar method to first clean the grey suede gloves, but used the surface of one glove to clean the other, with less spectacular results. Next time, I will use the seasponge.
By the bye, I have found the seasponges in the bath and beauty aids aisle at the supermarket to be less expensive than other venues.
Cheers.
hopkins-luder

Mon Jul 04, 2011 9:24 pm

P.S. As your attorney, I feel that I should advise you of the following caveats appended to the foregoing glove cleaning suggestions: No warranties are expressed or implied; Past performance is no guarantee of future results; Ask your doctor or pharmacist; So you don't forget, call before midnight tonight - ask for the Zenith Operator - no salesmen will call.
We now return you to your previously scheduled reading.
  • Information