Smith's Solaro

"The brute covers himself, the rich man and the fop adorn themselves, the elegant man dresses!"

-Honore de Balzac

TRINI

Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:03 pm

Gents - I've seen the Smith's Solaro cloth mentioned in a couple of threads but was wondering if anyone had had more recent experience with it and perhaps some examples to show?

Thanks in advance.
Yale Cameron

Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:17 pm

these threads show swatches of solaro, search will yield a bunch of different threads that discuss solaro. I have no experience with it myself. The third thread has a solaro made up as a suit from Caraceni Roma.

http://www.thelondonlounge.net/forum/vi ... aro#p12145

http://www.thelondonlounge.net/forum/vi ... laro#p5251

http://www.thelondonlounge.net/forum/vi ... aro#p52004
Concordia

Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:56 pm

I do have a suit made from it. It's heavier cloth than one would think, and it tailors very well. As for color/design, the iridescence can either be thrilling or off-putting (sort of a green reflection at certain angles).
TRINI

Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:28 pm

Yale Cameron wrote:these threads show swatches of solaro, search will yield a bunch of different threads that discuss solaro. I have no experience with it myself. The third thread has a solaro made up as a suit from Caraceni Roma.

http://www.thelondonlounge.net/forum/vi ... aro#p12145

http://www.thelondonlounge.net/forum/vi ... laro#p5251

http://www.thelondonlounge.net/forum/vi ... aro#p52004
Thanks - those are the threads that I'd referenced earlier. I've also seen some pictures of Will's suit.
andreyb

Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:43 pm

Another picture of a suit made up from Solaro cloth:

Andrey
tteplitzmd

Sat Mar 05, 2011 1:46 am

andreyb wrote:Another picture of a suit made up from Solaro cloth:

Andrey
This gent is wearing it as a sports jacket. I have a suit in this cloth, and it is very, very, eye catching. Suitable however only for spring in my opinion. I also have the same weave as a pair of odd trousers. The cloth has a "hard" finish, it does seem heavier than the weight would suggest, and my tailor said it tailored beautifully. I would be sure that it is sponged though, which makes it feel softer, and less rigid. Some other woolen merchants use the word "Solaro" rather loosely. Smith owns the name, and only theirs is "Original" Solaro Cloth (TM). Years ago Wain Shiell had a variant a little heavier, clearly from the same mill, but I believe that is long gone.

Later in the spring I will try to remember to post photos of my 3 button, 2 piece suit, in the "plain" or gabardine like Solaro from Smith's range (as opposed to the herringbone and rice pattern Solaro from Smith).
tteplitzmd

Sat Mar 05, 2011 1:47 am

Well, maybe it is a suit, not just a sports jacket on this commuter. Trousers do seem much lighter in color.
TRINI

Sat Mar 05, 2011 2:07 am

tteplitzmd wrote:Well, maybe it is a suit, not just a sports jacket on this commuter. Trousers do seem much lighter in color.
I believe it is a suit as the shadow stripe pattern is consistent across both jacket and pants.

I imagine it's the lighting that's causing the difference in colour.

I look forward to see your suit in the spring.
alden

Sat Mar 05, 2011 9:25 am

Gents - I've seen the Smith's Solaro cloth mentioned in a couple of threads but was wondering if anyone had had more recent experience with it and perhaps some examples to show?
TRINI, welcome to the LL. Last week a friend of mine had dinner with Lapo Elkann who was attired in a dinner suit made of Smith’s Solaro by Huntsman. The Italians do like the cloth.

There are quite a few weaves on offer in the Solaro and the amount of red that comes through varies greatly so you may want to get some swatches. And be prepared to wear the best blue shirt you have because the red in the cloth will drain a fair complexion. Olive skinned Latins and Asians seem to wear it well.

I will make a suit of the plain twill Solaro as it shows red the least though the herringbone is a real temptation.

Cheers

Michael Alden
TRINI

Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:55 pm

Michael,

Thank you for the warm welcome. It's interesting that you should mention Lapo as there are a few examples of him in Solaro online:

I'm thankfully closer in colour to the Asian gentleman posted earlier so hopefully it shall work for my complexion.
carl browne

Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:30 pm

Gentlemen:

I have some swatches of Solaro. I think it's very interesting and have been tempted to have it made up.

There seems to be more than style involved with the Solaro, however. I understand that the red on the reverse side is supposed to make the cloth wear cool in hot, sunny climes. I'm told it was a response to cloth worn by certain aboriginal peoples in the Empire, who wore garments dyed red on the reverse.

I'm trying to think this through: A thing is red because it absorbs light from all wavelengths but red. Now red is on the far end of the light spectrum, the lowest wavelength visible. Below this in infra-red, which is responsible for heat. It follows then, that red cloths might reflect heat away from them. The red showing through on surface of the cloth might reflect away the hottest rays of a tropical sun.

I would certainly welcome comments from Loungers with scientific backgrounds. Mine is law, and this is pure conjecture.

C
tteplitzmd

Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:18 pm

Carl,

You are correct, Sir. The claims never made any sense scientifically. I would not want to wear my suit in (colonial) India.
carl browne

Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:29 pm

tteplitzmd:

No legitimacy to the notion that red might reflect heat in the form of infra-red?

I was afraid of that.

Well, I still think it makes sense sartorially. It's a cool cloth though even though I can't make that claim literally.

Too bad. Makes a great story.

C
tteplitzmd

Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:48 am

Two original Solaro and two forme fruste:

Solaro in herringbone pattern:

All cotton made in England for Carnet (Como):

7 ounce wool made in Italy for H. Lesser:

TRINI

Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:11 am

tteplitzmd wrote:Two original Solaro and two forme fruste:
Thank you for the pics.