Mr. Georgiou - A Review (my first suit)

"The brute covers himself, the rich man and the fop adorn themselves, the elegant man dresses!"

-Honore de Balzac

mjh

Tue Feb 15, 2011 4:56 pm

Last edited by mjh on Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:09 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Concordia

Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:38 pm

Congratulations on making the leap.

See how the chest of the jacket feels after a season. Often, bespoke jackets need a break-in to lie as flat as if they had been tailored close. So especially if you like to put things in your breast pockets, you might appreciate more room next time. As it is now, the inside edges of the lapels bow just a little outward to my eye.
mjh

Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:18 pm

Last edited by mjh on Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Costi

Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:35 pm

Mjh, I like your suit and your charmingly written report. You struck a few chords nicely with some turns of the phrase. You also learned some of the most important lessons on your first commission - if only more young men reasoned and felt like you do, the future of tailoring and fine dress would appear a lot safer.
Now, do you suppose you could gather the nerve to go back to Mr. Georgiou a second time and ask him to let the coat out a bit through waist? :shock: It IS a little tight now and a couple of extra cms certainly won't make it look passed down or borrowed, but would give it a more relaxed, poised look. Tightness only accentuates extreme frames, whether skinny or bulky. A fuller cut (not a loose one!) sweetens the lines and harmonizes contours. The informal character of the coat (tweed, patch pockets) also calls for a relaxed line - you might want to be able to slip a V-neck vest under it.
Give the suit time, I am sure you will become very good friends - a cloth like that is built to last. A gray herringbone sequel sounds very good (or, why not, flannel?).
And do give that DB suit some wear - that's how you'll grow confident in it, and the sooner, the better! :)
Edward Bainbridge

Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:47 am

Costi wrote:A gray herringbone sequel sounds very good
Costi, as luck would have it, I'm between the second and the third fitting for a 16oz grey herringbone suit with Mr Georgiou…

mjh, thanks for the nice account. I'm sure when my suits will be ready, I shan't be able to write so nicely; there'll just be some pictures for everybody to maul. :)
Costi

Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:38 pm

Great, so more pictures to come! Let's inspire mjh for his next project :wink:
Lugano

Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:22 pm

nice suit, old fruit.

Chris Georgiou made me a nice pair of 9oz corduroy cream/off-white trousers last year, but I have not had an opportunity to wear them yet, or at least, I have been too worried about getting them dirty.
Costi

Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:54 pm

Is that why bespoke trousers last so long? :P
Rowly

Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:18 pm

Well done ! That is a lovely rich blue... you are off to a good start. Your report does have charm. It shows that you have an appreciation for the sensual pleasures of bespoke tailoring, and I can identify with that. It will get better as you progress. I felt strange, at first, showing cuff etc... but once you get used to these details everything else feels wrong... you will get to appreciate the difference between fashion and true style if you listen to these wise mentors such as Costi. I think Your coat will have a nicer fluidity if it is let out a bit, as it's pulling a bit at the lower back.
I will keep my current (frankly average) jackets in rotation, so as not to punish my new suit too awfully,
My main advice, is to wear, wear and wear the bespoke clothes. That is how you become confident and develop the unselfconscious nonchalance which exudes real style, in my opinion. You don't want to look as if you feel you are dressed up.
As Costi rightly advises....
And do give that DB suit some wear - that's how you'll grow confident in it, and the sooner, the better! :)
Chris Georgiou made me a nice pair of 9oz corduroy cream/off-white trousers last year, but I have not had an opportunity to wear them yet, or at least, I have been too worried about getting them dirty.
It is tempting to be precious and stockpile your bespoke items... but for me, at least, it is essential to get past this and become very natural in your bespoke clothes. There is so much discussion about cut, fit, details etc.... this is extremely important. However, I see a lot of pics of bespoke suits being worn, and high class clothes in general... and I notice that no matter how nice the item, it doesn't look good if the wearer's body language shows that he is ill at ease or that he does not normally dress like this and is out of his comfort zone.
The phrase,"You wear it well", comes to mind. I think that the ease with which some of our iconic style heroes such as Astaire, Cary Grant et al, wear their clothes ... has a very underestimated contribution to their overall look. Check out DresswithStyle.. and see Alden, who will show you how it is done. Good luck, Rowly.
MTM

Thu Feb 17, 2011 5:31 pm

Very well-written report, mjh. Thank you. The fit looks pretty good to my eye, except that the back and back of the sleeves could be cleaned up, unless the wrinkling is caused by your pulling your shoulders back too much.
TTO

Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:21 am

What a lovely review, thanks for taking the time to post it here.
How is the pricing, if you don't mind sharing, I did a quick google search but there is little to no information online. I am considering my first proper bespoke this year and would like to try one of these fine little tailors off row. I was thinking of Graham Brown, but other names are welcome.
-TTO
  • Information