Left handed bespoke clients

"The brute covers himself, the rich man and the fop adorn themselves, the elegant man dresses!"

-Honore de Balzac

pupsik

Sun Nov 21, 2010 7:38 pm

Gentlemen,

What features have left handed clients found useful as made different from the "righties" on their bespoke orders? I understand that putting a ticket pocket on the left side would disturb the balance with the chest pocket on the same side and doing a complete mirror image (right over the left) would probably look very odd.

Cheers,

Michael
curt

Mon Nov 22, 2010 1:58 am

My only request is for a single rear trouser pocket on the LH side. Inner coat pockets are a non-issue for me.
risker

Mon Nov 22, 2010 10:02 am

For London bespoke I use a single left pocket on trousers. I often wonder if anyone spots the difference - particularly the English who commonly have one right trouser pocket on RTW.

I also put a cellphone pocket on the inside lower RIGHT portion of the coat to be reached by my left hand when the coat is open. I frequently have an iPod in this pocket.

Perhaps I should also wire the bespoke with a headphone jack running from this pocket underneath the lining to the back of the collar where I could plug in headphones. I would like to see the reaction of the tailor.
DFR

Tue Nov 23, 2010 7:58 pm

Surely the primary changes might be to pockets.

The inside ticket and pen pockets to move left to right and either two back pockets or a single on the left. Ticket/change pockets inside others- eg trouser and coat side pockets might also move or be duplicated.

Outer pockets are for different functions, pocket square and little else and so do not move. Beyond that no change
carl browne

Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:35 pm

I note that because the left side of the coat buttons over the right, items stuffed into the right interior breast pocket are less likely to create a buldge or a break in the lapel than they would in the left--this is especially true with a pocket square in the left exterior breast pocket. Lefties and the ambidexterous should take advantage of this.
  • Information