Is a Rolex watch with diamonds too gaudy?

What you always wanted to know about Elegance, but were afraid to ask!
boxcar

Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:26 am

I see Rolex sells a lot of watches with diamonds on the bezels and bracelets.

Is this too loud for the LL patron? Too gaudy?

If you had one Rolex with diamonds, which metal would it be, steel, platinum, or gold?
Pagoda

Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:47 am

Hello,

Rolex make very good watches, the drawback is that the brand is so universally known to be expensive that it is hard to wear a Rolex without some (at least for me unwanted) attention. On the plus side, Rolex make some of the best watches around, that will probably last for generations.

Hence I would suggest steering clear of adding another layer of flamboyance to an already pretty flashy article, unless you really believe that "if you've got it, flaunt it" is sound advice.

(I bought a Breguet XX for everyday wear and a golden JLC Reverso for those golden moments -- I sold the Breguet a year ago (after two incidents where some chaps felt the urge to compliment me on my watch at a restroom) and am now happily wearing my grandfather's WWII service watch instead)

Those are just my personal opinions and I'm quite curious to see what other members have to say about this.
alden

Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:47 pm

The only Rolex I would ever wear would be the steel Submariner, but I prefer the Patek Nautilus. Timepieces (or anything else) encrusted with diamonds should be left to the ladies. They are a serious style handicap for a man.

For the price of a diamond President model you can buy yourself a few very nice watches. (PP, AP, and VC to mention a few.)

Cheers

Michael Alden
Russell

Mon Oct 25, 2010 3:14 pm

Here’s a couple of links to a series of first class articles relating to wrist watch movements by Walt Odets. Some are more technical than others but all are worth viewing just for his macro-photography which is superb & certainly does justice to the skill of the watchmaker.

The first link is to the basic index.

http://www.timezone.com/library/horologium

The link below is to a review of a Vacheron

http://www.timezone.com/library/horolog ... 0396906210

Isn’t it elegant – inside & out? The only gems are where they belong - in the movement.

Here’s one for Michael

http://www.timezone.com/library/horolog ... 2368975787

What a delight to have that on the wrist even if without a crystal back on the case. Knowing it’s there is enough!

Here’s a two part review of a Rolex Explorer. Bear in mind the movement will be the same in the most jewel encrusted ‘Datejust’ model.

Part 1

http://www.timezone.com/library/horolog ... logium0036

Part 2

http://www.timezone.com/library/horolog ... 1245315012

Not quite what was expected I guess, but still a good rugged watch movement (albeit at a ‘luxury’ price).

Personally I’d take the plainest watch with a great movement any day.

If I was buying a Rolex I’d go for an Air king (their cheapest model); it’s un-noticeable, looks smart but still has the reliable (if not so attractive) Rolex movement & save the gems for others.

I don’t think diamonds go with my eyes anyway (sapphires maybe… but then again!)

Regards
Russell
Leagle

Mon Oct 25, 2010 5:56 pm

Yes.

Merc

Mon Oct 25, 2010 6:51 pm

i think so
Costi

Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:50 pm

"Diamonds are a girl's best friend"
storeynicholas

Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:11 pm

Who needs diamonds? :-

[To Frank and desert nights.
Ava]

I bet they made some sand storms.
storeynicholas

Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:03 am

Costi wrote:"Diamonds are a girl's best friend"
[*]

Nehru, on being asked whether the Koh-i-noor should be returned, after Indian Independence: "Diamonds are for Emperors and India has no need of Emperors." [Although, actually, it was stolen from the infant ruler of Lahore].
JDelage

Wed Oct 27, 2010 7:14 am

I don't like diamonds on men watches, and especially not on sport watches. Small diamonds as hour markers on a Cellini line model of Rolex would be as far as I'd want to go.

I have a sapphire on the crown of my "Tank Americaine", and I really like knowing it's there, but it's hardly noticeable.
boxcar

Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:31 am

You bring up a good point, JDelage.

Where the OP was concerned with ostentatious display of diamonds on bezel and bracelet, what about the more discreet diamond hour marker?

How do LL patrons view a basic Rolex, like a Datejust or Day-Date, with precious stones for hour markers?
Russell

Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:33 pm

Where gentleman’s watches are concerned, my thoughts are - although the movement in a basic Rolex Datejust is a sturdy one which is ok for a ‘general use’ watch, I don’t consider the movement worthy of a dial embellished with gems as hour markers (or anywhere else).

Watches with movements of a quality worthy of the additional expense of gemstones are I think still best served by a classic dial (with gold markers at most).

Regards
Russell
Cufflink79

Wed Oct 27, 2010 3:06 pm

For men's jewlery simple is better. Although I would very much like to have a Rolex Submariner in steel and gold with the blue face and bezel, that's the only Rolex I'd really enjoy owning and wearing.

I have a silver tank style watch with brown leather strap from Longines that I love to wear.

There are many good watchmakers out there and buy purchasing a classic style it'll never go out of fashion.

Best Regards,

Cufflink79
  • Information