Seeking advice on traveling tailor in the Southeast US

"The brute covers himself, the rich man and the fop adorn themselves, the elegant man dresses!"

-Honore de Balzac

ASG

Sun Oct 17, 2010 12:42 pm

I have been a lurker here on LL for some time, but this will be my first post. I am motivated to transition from RTW suits to bespoke. I have short legs for my frame and slight middle age spread; the low-waisted RTW offerings that cut me off at the waist are quite unflattering. I live in a small town in South Carolina so that further complicates my access to good tailoring.

I made a 2 1/2 hour road trip to Atlanta this weekend to meet with N Rusty of Hemrajani tailors. I was prepared to order a suit if I felt comfortable with the process. There was nothing particularly wrong with the meeting, but I left without ordering a suit. (I did order an unlined tweed shirt jacket with bellows pockets for weekend wear). The reason that I did not order a suit was that when I questioned him about how the fittings work (do I meet you in a few months when you are back in the area for a fitting?) I was informed that they don't do fittings. The completed suit would be shipped to me based on the measurements taken that day. Hmmm.

So I am seeking advice on a moderately-priced traveling tailor who comes through the southeast. I am a government lawyer/public servant so I cannot at this point afford SR prices. But I do want to slowly build a bespoke wardrobe as income allows. Any advice would be appreciated.

Regards,
Andrew Hodges
old henry

Sun Oct 17, 2010 2:15 pm

I think that you should buy one very special handmade suit rather than three MTM.
alden

Sun Oct 17, 2010 2:47 pm

I think that you should buy one very special handmade suit rather than three MTM.
Frank,

I wish I had a dime for every time someone has said to me, "Knowing what I know now, I would have skipped MTM altogether and gone straight to a handcrafted, tailor made suit! Those MTM suits I made just sit in my closet and gather dust."

Michael
old henry

Sun Oct 17, 2010 3:15 pm

ASG , should read "That Feeling After Your First Bespoke Commission"
ASG

Sun Oct 17, 2010 3:23 pm

I have read that post.

I agree that I would prefer handmade over MTM if I can manage to afford it. Should I infer from these responses that tailors of handmade suits do not travel through the southeast, or that I should not expect them to be "moderately priced"?

Any suggestions on tailors that travel through my area, and what price range I should expect to pay for a handmade suit?
alden

Sun Oct 17, 2010 3:34 pm

ASG

You would do well to look here: http://www.ctda.com/find_a_tailor.htm

There very well may be a tailor in your area. And spend a moment to read the CTDA site a bit. LL member Len Logsdail is the President of the tailor's organization and might be able to give you some advice.

Cheers

M Alden
Mark Seitelman

Mon Oct 18, 2010 1:01 pm

Another possibility is to call Holland & Sherry in New York City. Speak to the rep. covering your area and ask for a honest recommendation in your area. Any good tailor in your area will be a Holland & Sherry customer.

A "handmade suit" on the level of the top bespoke makers of NYC and London and Oxxford is about $3,000-4,000 +.

A MTM suit which is mostly machine made, such as Hickey Freeman, will run about $1,500+.

Although the small city tailor is becoming an extinct breed, there are still some out there. Whether by accident or design he landed from Italy to a small town, and he can be as good (or better) than some of the names in NYC and London. You need to do some digging.

Good luck!
Costi

Mon Oct 18, 2010 4:30 pm

Mark Seitelman wrote:Although the small city tailor is becoming an extinct breed, there are still some out there. Whether by accident or design he landed from Italy to a small town, and he can be as good (or better) than some of the names in NYC and London. You need to do some digging.

Good luck!
ASG, the fact that you live in a small town might prove to be your luck, as Mark Seitelman suggests: you might get bespoke clothes for the cost of MTM in a big city. It is definitely worth searching and trying, not to mention the advantage of having the tailor close to you for fittings, orders or just chatting about dress.
  • Information