Please critique my first Bespoke

"The brute covers himself, the rich man and the fop adorn themselves, the elegant man dresses!"

-Honore de Balzac

emc894

Sat Jun 19, 2010 6:17 pm

I would really like feedback on my first two bespoke items. I am a pretty conservative guy (I eat dinner in a suit about twice a week at a club) and work in finance where I regularly interact with clients, and wear a suit almost every day.

The suit I got in one fitting from a Hong Kong tailor in New York. It is 11oz Holland and Sherry Cape Horn Vista. It is extremely comfortable and fits me much better than suit I have ever worn. The pants are obviously too long, but that's an easy fix. I asked for minimal padding, somewhat high armhole, British pleats. What do you think of this button configuration on my body? What do you think I should change for my next order? Please be as detailed as possible.

The shirt was made by a well regarded shirtmaker in New York. At first the back did not have enough room for me to type so I had it expanded. I do not like overly snug clothes and there is some slight pulling in the shoulder area if I swing my arms. The Alumo fabric is very nice, but I am worried that the fit is not that great. There seems to be too much fabric in the waist area from behind. I would really appreciate advice on how to nail down this fit. It has been washed twice. Also, what do you think of the collar style for me? I really want something I can wear with a suit but that also looks good open collared for going out.

Thank you all very much.

Costi

Sun Jun 20, 2010 1:58 pm

Dear emc,

The fact that you feel more comfortable in your first bespoke suit is the first indication that you are on a good track - there is time to learn, experiment and improve.
As far as the shirt is concerned, you could always have two darts sewn into the back to trim the waistline a bit, but I believe your shirtmaker needs to rethink your pattern: the front doesn't fit great, either, and the armholes look too deep. It seems a made-to-measure shirt rather than bespoke. Did you get fitted before it was finished? The collar looks fine, if you like the style - were it mine, I might open up the angle just a little, take up to 1 cm from the length of the collar leaves and add a little more tie space.
By the way, the tie could be shorter. That also relates to the position of your trousers' waistband - I like it much higher and I think it would look better on you, as well (more so since you prefer fuller trousers, like myself). The coat could also be shorter, especially if you raise your trousers to your waist.
What is your next project?
emc894

Thu Jun 24, 2010 1:24 am

Thanks for the response. My next suit will be a sold navy two piece, and am thinking about something in 9.5/10 from H. Lesser. I would love to hear if anyone has experience with this fabric.

I believe I am wearing the pants to low in my picture and that is affecting the way they hang, especially in the back.

The shirt is sort of a mess. The first order from this maker requires four shirts, and so far I am not happy with the first. I am not really sure how to improve it and am not looking forward to the prospect of having four shirts that do not fit me well. Any specific thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
couch

Thu Jun 24, 2010 4:07 am

It's very difficult to give accurate advice just from photos, but since no one has stepped up I'll report what I see. Perhaps it may stimulate other members--shirtmakers, if you're lucky--to take issue, or give you points to discuss with your shirtmaker.

1. In my experience only an extremely fitted shirt will hang well when tucked into trousers worn much below the true waist. As you say, if your trousers were worn higher, the excess cloth in the shirt body would be much more likely to stay neatly gathered if held at the body's narrowest point. If you like a very roomy shirt and no back darts, you might pinch two side pleats in the rear (sort of like inverted blade pleats) when you tuck the shirt in, which will help the cloth stay flat and compact under the waistband.

2. That said, the shirt body looks very wide all the way up, front and back. The amount of fullness is a personal choice, but your shoulder seams extend past the point of your shoulder (quite visible in the side shot as the droop over the acromion process); this and the fullness around the shirt body at the armpit means your undersleeve is also cut somewhat away from your actual body. You may experience this as a slight impediment to mobility, or feel it pull in when you put your jacket on.

3. Your trapezius development gives more slope to your shoulders than the shirt appears to be cut for, resulting in diagonal ripples (sagging) between the collar and the armpit, seen from the front. The shirt fronts should hang from the shoulder seams with even vertical tension resulting in a fairly clean fall.

4. In all the photos, your right shoulder is lower than the left (a "down right" in tailorspeak), and you carry your head to that side as well. If this is typical, a bespoke shirt (and jacket) should reflect those facts. In the front-view photo, the diagonal ripples appear more pronounced on your right (viewer's left) side, suggesting that insufficient allowance has been made for the difference in shoulder slope.

5. The shirt cuffs appear to be a little loose, allowing them to slide too far down over the base of your thumbs. Your jacket sleeve length looks good to me, but the cuffs are sitting about 1/4" lower than would look best. It may be that the shirt sleeves themselves are just a touch long as well, but there may still be shrinkage allowance, and if you reduce the shoulder width it will interact with the sleeve length anyway, so I hesitate to say without seeing how the sleeve moves when you bend at the elbow and with the shoulder seam at the actual shoulder joint. (Many men who frequently wear open-collar shirts without jackets have become used to seeing extended shoulders on their shirts, which I think counterproductive when wearing a tie and jacket. When the collar is buttoned, the sleevehead seam should lie over the joint for best mobility and cleanest line.)

There may be front-back balance issues that I can't judge well from photos, and my own taste would run to less fullness in the midsection, but the overall visual effect of the shirt, from the combination of low-riding cuffs, extended shoulders, diagonal ripples from inaccurate shoulder slope, and a full cut with no waist suppression blousing from trouser worn at the hips, is of a shirt that is just slightly too big. If the other points were corrected, some of the fullness in the body would not look or feel so sloppy, if you'll excuse the term, and might be quite acceptable.

Finally, since you've blocked out most of your chin and some of the neck in the photos, it's difficult to assess the height of the front collar band and the shape and size of the points in comparison to your face and neck. If, as seems possible from the second shirt photo, you have a longish face and good length of neck, I'd consider increasing the height of the collar band at the front slightly (an eighth to a quarter of an inch, if it remains comfortable at the adam's apple) and trying a slightly wider spread to the collar, with the current point length (along the front edge of the collar leaf from collar fold to tip) but starting slightly higher on the neck due to the taller band. The back collar height looks fine to me. (The jacket collar height/shape at center back looks just a bit low--it should follow the curve of the shirt collar congruently without flattening in the middle.)

Bear in mind that these observations may be wide of the mark, given that they are deduced from a single set of 2-D photos and made by a member who is not a shirtmaker. But I hope they will give you a starting point for discussion and prove useful. The whole ensemble already looks better than 90% of suit-wearers, so you've made a good start.
teddyboy

Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:20 am

it's a nice suit. if you're happy with it, that's great. if it were made for me, i'd have the tailor do the following alterations:

- the sleeve pitch is wrong. it shouldn't have those wrinkles at the sleevehead
- it should be clear all the way down the arm; arms that are this wide arm shouldn't have wrinkles. you have naturally quite bent arms, which i'm not sure the tailor has taken into account
- the coat seems a bit long to me. my tailor cuts my suits to the second knuckle in my thumb
- the shoulders could be taken in a bit, the back's quite spaceous, and there's an awful lot of drape. but then i like a very fitted suit. maybe try experimenting with a more tailored fit with your next suit
- the horizontal wrinkles on our shoulders mean that the collar could probably be lowered a bit
- i probably wouldn't go back to that shirtmaker. in my opinion, the shirt doesn't fit you.

the suit looks lovely though. good choice of fabric, and the cut suits you. bespoke is good fun, isn't it?
schneidergott

Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:01 pm

To start with: That suit needs a firm pressing, but: Don't let any steam get near to it. Dry iron and a mildly moist pressing cloth is best. Press until cloth is totally dry.

A few things I noticed (and may have been named by couch already):

Lower right shoulder, no big deal.

1. Waist suppression in the wrong place. It doesn't show in the back view shot, but the lateral pic shows some drags from tension in the waist while the centre back seam hangs pretty straight. I'd say the centre back seam should be taken in a bit below the blades down to the hem.

2. Neck folds. Hard to guess what causes them. I think this is a cloth that is hard to shape with ironwork, so there is not enough room for you shoulder blades. That causes the fold and tension between them.

The smaller fold above it, well I think it is the over-cut shoulder. How far do they overlap your shoulder bones? The thing is, that if they go out too far the weight of the sleeves might cause a little pulling from neck to shoulder. Have someone to push the outer shoulder towards the neck. If that fold is reduced, it's that. Reduce the back width according to shoulder. Don't overdo it, you'll need extra room/ width for your blades. So keep that vertical folds a bit bigger than normal for a better range of movement. Apart from that there is still the chance that the back balance is just too long below the neck.

3. The sleeve pitch. Not sure if the pictures show your natural arm position, seems too bent for me at the elbow.

4. The sleeve crown. This is hard to tell from the relatively small and darkish images, but I think the crown is just a bit too high and pointed at the top. Easy to fix, reduce the excess cloth at the very top of crown. (The actual alteration is a different matter.)

5. Trousers. Seem too long in the pics, were they cut for braces and you are not wearing any?
Either way, your trousers need some ironwork to make them follow the shape of your legs more. If they are not cut for braces they need to be lifted in the rear and the crotch cut deeper.

6. Shirt body. Shoulders a tad too wide. Should be taken in a bit, by that the width in the back will be reduced as well as the sleeve length.

7. Shirt collar. The pulling that couch mentioned is not caused by sloping shoulders but by the wide neckhole. By that I don't mean that the collar is too wide. It's the shape of the neckhole, it's too far from the actual neck. So when you close the top button and wear a tie you get those pulls. I'm afraid that is not fixable.
couch

Thu Aug 19, 2010 10:25 pm

Schneidergott, thanks for providing another cause--no doubt more relevant here--for the diagonal pulls on the shirt. It makes sense to me. I have RTW shirts that suffer similar pulls that I know have neck openings larger than they should be, and I had not identified that as the cause for the pulls. I have other shirts with extremely well-fitting necks but shoulders that are cut too square, and they show similar diagonal folds from neck to armpit, perhaps with less tension.

It's always good to increase one's understanding of these effects, so thanks again.
schneidergott

Mon Aug 23, 2010 5:10 pm

Actually, at closer inspection it looks like a combination of both, deep cut neck hole in front and very straight cut shoulders.
  • Information