polish for John Lobb shoes

"The brute covers himself, the rich man and the fop adorn themselves, the elegant man dresses!"

-Honore de Balzac

koolhistorian

Sat Jan 24, 2009 10:08 pm

goddenrich wrote:Thank you for your replyes. I have heard from other sorces that saphir was very good but I wanted to hear what you use and recomend. I was also wondering if any other members had the same colour shoes and if so what colour they used as I am finding it hard to colour match and have no way of doing so without going to london.

Thanks
Richard
Take care, there is a real difference between MdO and Creme Surifne in quality terms.For Lobb's I'd recommend MdO, its worth any penny! You can have it online from http://valmour.fr, but see the delivery costs!
marcelo

Sun Jan 25, 2009 2:03 am

goddenrich wrote:Thank you for your replyes. I have heard from other sorces that saphir was very good but I wanted to hear what you use and recomend. I was also wondering if any other members had the same colour shoes and if so what colour they used as I am finding it hard to colour match and have no way of doing so without going to london.

Thanks
Richard
Black polish for black shoes, that is fair enough. But I do indulge myself in occasional mismatches between the leather colour and the predominant pigment in the polish. I have recently applied burgundy on a pair of brown whole-cuts while “spit-polishing” them, though I actually used water rather than the salivary substance just mentioned. I was quite pleased about the result; indeed, it was much better than I had expected, though the whole process proved to be rather extenuating.
tteplitzmd

Thu Jun 10, 2010 10:33 pm

For what it's worth, my brother reported today that he found the hard to find Saphir Renovateur in the pharmacy section of the BHV department store in Paris. Is it medicinal?? All I know is that it is very hard to find in the US. I look forward to test driving it soon.
shredder

Fri Jun 11, 2010 8:42 am

This chap is the US distributor and seems to be expecting a new shipment: http://riderboot.com/saphir-medaille-dor/

Over here, if you have a prescription, then you can put it through the national healthcare system. Now that's value for your tax money! :lol:
tteplitzmd

Fri Jun 11, 2010 11:25 am

shredder wrote:This chap is the US distributor and seems to be expecting a new shipment: http://riderboot.com/saphir-medaille-dor/

Over here, if you have a prescription, then you can put it through the national healthcare system. Now that's value for your tax money! :lol:
It always seems to be out of stock with Rider. You're kidding about the prescription???
shredder

Fri Jun 11, 2010 11:56 am

You ought to talk to Obama about it... :lol:
s
shredder

Fri Jun 11, 2010 2:32 pm

ps, if I were you, Terry, I would not ingest it. :lol:

s
Jordan Marc

Sat Jun 12, 2010 4:25 pm

Whether you buy your conditioners, creams and paste polishes, etc. from Lobb St. James or Saphir, choose sensible amounts for your needs rather than large-sized tubes, tins and jars. The bigger the container, the more apt the contents are to degrade over a lengthy period of time. Reorder when necessary so the stuff stays fresh. And when you do order supplies for maintaining your footwear, set aside any wornout white cotton T-shirts in your chest of drawers for applicator rags, then splurge on the best horsehair brushes and buffing straps made. You really should have separate sets of tools for the various colors of your leather shoes and boots. The same goes for suede shoes, which require entirely different kinds of brushes to clean and bring up the napp of the reverse side of the hides. Finally, if the soles and heels of your shoes need a
touch-up of color, here's a tip: avoid those clumsy puffball or felt applicator things, which invariably get more dye on the uppers than the soles and heels. Mask off the uppers with 3M blue painter tape, which doesn't need much pressure to adhere, prevents any bleeding of the dye onto the leather or suede, and peels off easily without leaving any residue of mastic. Apply the dye with a fairly soft brush from an art supply store; don't dab the dye, use long even strokes for a smooth coat. Stand the shoes up on a layer or two of plain newsprint to dry.

Diana Vreeland, doyenne of Vogue Magazine and later curator of the Costume Institute at the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York City, once said: "Men with rundown heels is the end of
civilization!" Nough said.

JMB
tteplitzmd

Mon Jun 14, 2010 12:34 am

Well, I have to say that Renovateur is terrific. My brother reported it was all of Euro 5 in Paris. Here it is never in stock, and when it is, Leffot wants $20 plus about $12 shipping, and he gets if from Rider, who never seems to have it either.
shredder

Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:42 am

Wow, that's steep! I wonder if that is because the stuff is subject to batch-specific testing and declaration requirements going through US Customs / FDA since the chemicals potentially come into direct contact with one's skin during use. That might be the reason for the high premium and irregular shipment cycles. God forbid you guys start sneezing or something.
pemazel

Sun Jun 20, 2010 9:43 am

LCA is exactly the same product as Saphir MO - which is the best I am aware of.

Paul
alden

Sun Jun 20, 2010 11:48 am

If LL members need Saphir products, please write Pierre Paul at Talon Rouge in Paris. He will send them out to you at the normal French prices.

http://talonrouge-pierrepaul.blogspot.com/
LCA is exactly the same product as Saphir MO - which is the best I am aware of.
Only the packaging and price are different.

Pierre Paul stylin' for the fans at the races:

http://talonrouge-pierrepaul.blogspot.c ... ix-du.html

Michael Alden
  • Information