First bespoke suit, London

"The brute covers himself, the rich man and the fop adorn themselves, the elegant man dresses!"

-Honore de Balzac

storeynicholas

Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:35 am

Costi wrote::o
storeynicholas wrote: Why don't you lead off ...?
If both of you smoke at the same time, the dogs will pass out...
Cerebus, at least, is fine with it - and indeed complains that we don't use sulphur matches anymore and detract from the proper atmosphere of the place. :twisted: :D _oooOOO
NJS
Costi

Wed Oct 21, 2009 1:37 pm

Heheee! Which of the heads barked that?
Now I understand better: smoking is nothing but a warmup. Well, at least the sex of angels really does matter there...

storeynicholas

Wed Oct 21, 2009 3:04 pm

Difficult to tell which as he moves so fast - and it is not advisable to get too close - he's not exactly a pet. it is, in fact, very difficult to sneak out to get decent tobacco as he's normally guarding the way and the house designer-branded stuff is terrible.
NJS :D _oooOOO
DFR

Wed Jan 13, 2010 7:47 pm

What did you get in the end? Would you care to put up any photographs of it please so we can see how the tailor executed a first commission? I had in mind - usual front and rear with and without the coat on and the coat interior like Costi's view in this thread.

If you prefer you can 'cut' your head off from the view displayed.
YoungLawyer

Sun Jan 17, 2010 5:37 pm

I've been unexpectedly busy, so haven't yet had the time! Rest assured that when I do, I'll post the pictures here.

Has anyone used George for suits?

http://www.georgebespoketailors.com/
reviewed here: http://www.bownsbespoke.com/george.htm
Simon

Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:56 pm

YoungLawyer wrote:I've been unexpectedly busy, so haven't yet had the time! Rest assured that when I do, I'll post the pictures here.

Has anyone used George for suits?

http://www.georgebespoketailors.com/
reviewed here: http://www.bownsbespoke.com/george.htm
I've seen perhaps half a dozen examples of his finished work (garments, not on the wearer) and the overall quality of his handiwork is a step down from that of the C&L / S&M you have previously discussed. I'd personally see it as a false economy, unless you're just an unusual shape and this is the only way to build a wardrobe of suits.

If you are looking for something at slightly lower cost, Graham Browne seem to be an option - Simon Crompton at Permanent Style has blogged about them a lot, and the few garments I've seen fall into the 'charmingly imperfect' school of handwork - I'd happily consider them as a value-for-money alternative. Prices are (IIRC) £850 including their basic cloth, including VAT, or £600 for CMT.
Last edited by Simon on Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pagoda

Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:07 am

Hello LL,

first let me thank you for admitting me to the London Lounge!

I believe the reason for George's shop having been "boarded up" might be found in him having been on holiday for a few weeks during the summer. I was measured for a suit at his (at the time definitely open) shop on Cleveland Street last month and will gladly report on the quality of the work as it progresses.
DFR

Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:52 pm

Pagoda wrote:Hello LL,

I believe the reason for George's shop having been "boarded up" might be found in him having been on holiday for a few weeks during the summer. I was measured for a suit at his (at the time definitely open) shop on Cleveland Street last month and will gladly report on the quality of the work as it progresses.

Are there not two 'Georges' which sometimes leads to confusion?
Pagoda

Fri Feb 26, 2010 8:45 am

There are indeed, hence my mentioning of Cleveland Street ;-)
Simon

Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:30 pm

Pagoda wrote:Hello LL,

Thank you - I have corrected my original post, and apologise for passing on misinformation.
The_Sartorialist

Sat Feb 27, 2010 8:37 am

Simon wrote: If you are looking for something at slightly lower cost, Graham Browne seem to be an option - Simon Crompton at Permanent Style has blogged about them a lot, and the few garments I've seen fall into the 'charmingly imperfect' school of handwork - I'd happily consider them as a value-for-money alternative. Prices are (IIRC) £850 including their basic cloth, including VAT, or £600 for CMT.
I would heartily recommend Graham Browne. As Simon pointed out, there was indeed some 'charmingly imperfect' handwork going on in my jacket (in the sense that you can detect very subtle asymmetry, e.g. pocket flaps, inside pocket jet widths etc.) However, their willingness to work with my somewhat unusual design requests (which I know most tailors would flatly refuse due to my discussions with them) deserves mention. And with their prices coming in at a snip of the larger Savile Row houses, I would most certainly continue to use them.
  • Information