When not to wear bespoke

"The brute covers himself, the rich man and the fop adorn themselves, the elegant man dresses!"

-Honore de Balzac

marcelo

Mon Jan 04, 2010 4:06 pm

marcelo wrote:I was reading a text on WW I, when I came across the passage below. For the first time it occurred to me that sometimes it may be wise to prefer RTW in lieu of bespoke:

"As German snipers soon realized, [British] officers could be picked out - and picked off - by their uniform. In contrast to the mass-produced Army-issue tunics worn by privates, officers' tunic jackets were individually tailored (at their own expense) and worn over a shirt and tie. Their jodhpur-trousers were tucked into high leather riding boots which their batmen kept as highly polished as their 'Sam Browne' service belts."
I have just come across the passage below. - It seems the American Army has learnt the lesson for WW II:

A.Hacking

Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:15 am

The death of Nelson at Trafalgar is attributed to the French snipers being able to pick him out on the deck as he wore his full dress uniform. "The London Cut" has him as a customer of Gieves.
chrisfields

Fri May 20, 2011 1:43 am

Sorry for posting in an ancient thread but could not resist...

Perhaps sometimes it is better to be the well dressed soldier in a battle:
  • Information