Search for shoes

"The brute covers himself, the rich man and the fop adorn themselves, the elegant man dresses!"

-Honore de Balzac

MaestroUK10

Fri Jan 01, 2010 6:44 pm

I have a query and apologise if this is in the wrong section.
I have most of my shoes from Edward Green or Berluti with a couple of George Cleverly BUT...... I need and want a pair of shoes/boots that are superbly comfortable to walk 5 hours a day min in day in and day out (poss getting 2 pairs to alternate) and will be comfy and look ok and last for more than 4 weeks :-)

I am looking for suggstions of where I should look? thank you :-)
Simon A

Sat Jan 02, 2010 1:20 pm

Your requirements mimic mine somewhat, I often have to go from office to factory to the mountainside in a day, all in the same shoes, and a lot of walking can be involved.

I guess people have different levels of tolerance, but my knees get sore after hard walking on leather soles so I would recommend rubber soles for this. It will look less elegant but you may feel much better at the end of the day.
Last edited by Simon A on Thu Feb 23, 2012 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bishop of Briggs

Sat Jan 02, 2010 5:21 pm

I would Tricker's first as they sell boots with commando soles that are designed for shooting, i.e. long days in the countryside. You will find the Malton here - http://trickers.com/Collections/Country ... _boot.html. Tricker's offer stock specials, i.e. the Burford with a commando sole, for around £350 and bespoke boots for around £850.

Alternatively, you may like Crockett & Jones' Coniston which as a storm welt- http://www.crockettandjones.co.uk/mensboots-conist.html. You may also wish to consider the Brecon - http://www.crockettandjones.co.uk/mensboots-brecon.html. The Chepstow is the only one available in the wider G fitting - http://www.crockettandjones.co.uk/mensboots-chepst.html.
Jordan Marc

Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:56 pm

Maestro:

Before tucking your toes into one kind of boot or another, all of which conjure up an image of bikers astride fastass motorcycles, give serious consideration to two different pairs of Norwegian Derbys, one made of pebble grain cowhide and the other made of suede. Although they need not necessarily be bespoke, unless you have difficult feet to fit, the construction of the sole and heel is important to the terrain on which you'll be walking. For a picture and discussion of the Norwegian Derby, have a look at Vass' book, Handmade Shoes For Men. And don't forget to lay in a good supply of suitable hosiery for your trek, a pair of which will be needed when you try on the shoes. You might also consider adding a walking stick to your gear. It comes in handy, not only to fend off pesky critters but also to test the depth of puddles.

By the way, serious walking (not to be confused with sauntering while window shopping) is a healthier form of exercise than jogging, which over time destroys your joints from the relentless pounding on paved surfaces and hard paths.

JMB
MaestroUK10

Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:10 pm

Thank you for all the comments and i suspect C&J is where i shall end up.
My walking is street based but also need to look smart and as such the C&J will be ideal i suspect.
Bishop of Briggs

Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:25 pm

MaestroUK10 wrote:Thank you for all the comments and i suspect C&J is where i shall end up.
My walking is street based but also need to look smart and as such the C&J will be ideal i suspect.
If you are going to wear a couple pairs intensively, I would recommend calling the factory shop around 4pm on a Friday afternoon. You could get a bargain at around £100 per pair.
Concordia

Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:06 am

Central Europe has some double-soled models intended for tramping about in.

I do like some of the Vasses, and have a pair on order from Balint that might just be the thing for that assignment.
Balagan

Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:18 am

Bishop of Briggs wrote:I would Tricker's first as they sell boots with commando soles that are designed for shooting, i.e. long days in the countryside. You will find the Malton here - http://trickers.com/Collections/Country ... _boot.html. Tricker's offer stock specials, i.e. the Burford with a commando sole, for around £350 and bespoke boots for around £850.
I second this opinion - Tricker's have a wide range of sensible no-nonsense country shoes in their hm... "Country" collection.
They get also very comfortable, but once broken in - the leather they use is quite thick. Should you go with MTO option - you can have almost any colour/last/sole options combined, but their ready-to-wear range is already quite impressive.
  • Information