Should the London Lounge be on Facebook?

What you always wanted to know about Elegance, but were afraid to ask!
shredder

Fri Dec 18, 2009 4:00 pm

I admit to being rather less informed about social media, but I think the operative question is, why should LL be on Facebook? To what end?

It would not be for interacting, as we already have a venue here. Otherwise, it would be duplicative. (Assuming, of course, Facebook's primary usage is for virtual interaction. Since I do not visit Facebook, I may be mistaken.)

If Facebook can help in new member acquisition, then it might be something worth considering. This assumes that a broader membership base may lead to reaching critical mass more easily on many of the Cloth Club projects, as well as increasing the number of (quality) contributions in the LL Forum. That said, I have no idea whether Facebook is the right medium for achieving these objectives, assuming that they are indeed objectives.

I must admit to being one of the old farts who have absolutely no idea about social media, so I am just rambling here... :lol:

s
AndyM

Sat Dec 19, 2009 12:47 pm

I too fail to see any benefit for the LL to be on Facebook, we already have a venue for discussion here, I doubt that it would attract new members. The LL is well established and easily found if you are seriously looking for information on elegance and style. Surely with LL and now Dresswithstyle.com we have everything we need?

Andy
shredder

Fri Jan 08, 2010 2:45 pm

Rowly

Tue May 24, 2011 1:38 pm

I have just found this thread and hope it's not too late to contribute. I consider facebook to appeal to the phoney and pathetic, who have 500 friends on facebook, but don't actually know anybody. However, I would propose the following, which could be achieved without facebook. ..... I suspect there are many LL members who do not post pictures of their bespoke garments, due to feeling uncomfortable with potential criticsm or comments. This is understandable. However, many of us agree that it can be difficult to envisage a finished suit from a swatch. It is extremely helpful when you see a finished suit and are given the cloth ref. I propose that a division of the forum could be created where members can post pictures of completed works annotated with the cloth ref, in an environment where the rules preclude the ability to comment on anything other than the pattern, colour and possibly weight of the cloth. Subsequent discussions might lead to advice where it can be sourced, etc. Also, perhaps a quizz called something like, Name that Loom, where a picture can be posted and participants can be invited to try and pinpoint which cloth it is. If members thought this to be a good idea, it would require a system where the pictures, once posted, will remain indefinitely. This would be fairly simple to arrange. Of course those who welcome comments could also post to the normal forum, as usual......Any thoughts?
Merc

Tue May 24, 2011 5:36 pm

No -whats the point?
pichao

Sat Jun 04, 2011 7:10 pm

Yes it should.

Several good sites and blogs, like "A suitable wardrobe" and "Permanent Style" are already there.
Costi

Sun Jun 05, 2011 3:11 pm

Some enjoy being permanently on the way, rather than "already there" ;)
pichao

Sun Jun 05, 2011 5:59 pm

I believe that some of the articles and discussions on this forum are very interesting.

A selection of them could easily be introduced on facebook. By doing that, they would also reach a wider audience.
Costi

Sun Jun 05, 2011 7:21 pm

I believe many LL members are not "already there", if we judge by the responses to this thread. I also suspect they wish to remain out of it, or at least have a say on whether, when and how to "get there". Launching the LL on Facebook now would make many feel like they embarked for a destination and landed some place else instead. That is enough counterweight for me to the argument of the possibly wider audience that the LL could access through Facebook.
Personally, I have been struggling lately to determine a way to be present in a positive manner on Facebook. Have not reached conclusions yet, but I enjoy studying what some people I admire and respect are doing in this direction. I am convinced any means or instrument may be used for good or silly (not to call them bad) causes. However, that is an individual decision and does not involve others who might not wish to be involved automatically. When a group of people is concerned, I think the first paragraph above applies.
davidhuh

Sun Jun 05, 2011 8:51 pm

Costi wrote:I believe many LL members are not "already there", if we judge by the responses to this thread. I also suspect they wish to remain out of it, or at least have a say on whether, when and how to "get there". Launching the LL on Facebook now would make many feel like they embarked for a destination and landed some place else instead. That is enough counterweight for me to the argument of the possibly wider audience that the LL could access through Facebook.
Personally, I have been struggling lately to determine a way to be present in a positive manner on Facebook. Have not reached conclusions yet, but I enjoy studying what some people I admire and respect are doing in this direction. I am convinced any means or instrument may be used for good or silly (not to call them bad) causes. However, that is an individual decision and does not involve others who might not wish to be involved automatically. When a group of people is concerned, I think the first paragraph above applies.
Using social media personally and professionally, I would like to second Costi here. There are many good reasons for great blogs such as Will Boehlke's "Suitable wardrobe" or Simon Crompton's "Permanent style" to be there. I could also imagine this to be the case for particular tailors - although even they might prefer sticking to their blogs which are easier to manage (and I prefer my tailor to focus on tailoring).

For LL, I have doubts. This network is a phantastic resource for people who want to know more on bespoke tailoring, the cloth club is simply incredible - whatever one is interested in, you simply use the search engine and you get tons of information. And you can ask questions and get feedback from the more experienced ones. Anybody who is interested in such information will take the pain and register to LL. Many of us also appreciate the relative privacy here on LL and would be concerned if discussions or contributions would become public via facebook.

To summarise: one needs a marketing and/or communication strategy to use social media as one possible tool within such a strategy. Anything else is rather pointless.

David
carl browne

Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:57 pm

If we want to advocate bespoke clothing, educate others and encourage them to take more care in dress and appearance, promote a more civilized environment, and support the artisans who in many cases have become friends, then The LL should be on Facebook.

As for privacy, it's too late for me, as I'm one of the only members of this forum to use MY REAL NAME.
carl browne

Thu Jun 16, 2011 12:01 am

Isn't it possible for the LL to have a presence on Facebook without MOVING to Facebook?
Costi

Thu Jun 16, 2011 6:19 am

That is a missionary view of the LL. I prefer to see the LL not as a hideaway, certainly, but as an oasis where people who feel they share a vision or enjoy the exchanges and the company choose to come together, make contact, communicate, inspire each other to learn (rather than "educate" one another), share their enthusiasm for bespoke (rather than advocate it to those who don't care about it). I see no strategies, no plans of attack, no cause to fight for - although occasionally we do engage in a friendly argument (and it's great that we can do it). Perhaps it is not by chance that many members are not present on social networks such as Facebook - it's about a different mindset, atmosphere, approach. We're public enough here and I believe whoever needs to find this place, shall find it - who needs tens of thousands of "fans" and "followers"? Let those who are on FB have a different kind of place to come to for a change, and LL members who are not on Facebook be able to stay out of it, if they choose so. You are not the only one using his real name and that is to be appreciated, but I would not judge those who don't, either - it is important for everyone to feel comfortable. It's the Style identity that we go by here :)
Rowly

Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:44 am

I prefer to see the LL not as a hideaway, certainly, but as an oasis where people who feel they share a vision or enjoy the exchanges and the company choose to come together,
I prefer the control we have over our discussions . It is an oasis where we can discuss freely...we can edit or delete our posts...and we can choose to remain anonymous etc......once on facebook...you will be bombarded with cross references you did not want...you will be offered friendships with multitudes of people whose link with the LL or what it stands for are extremely tenuous...and decided upon by some software algorithm.
The LL will end up as a marketing tool for all and sundry...a hype platform for untold inferior goods...and there will be no opportunity to control this.....joining facebook will be the death knell for the LL, as we know it....However, as previously suggested, I think within our own confines, we could utilize some of the features offered by facebook for ourselves...Rowly.
  • Information