Obtaining fur in London

What you always wanted to know about Elegance, but were afraid to ask!
medusala

Tue Nov 17, 2009 7:01 pm

I am in the process of getting an overcoat made and my tailor is having difficulty in sourcing fur which I was thinking of using in a shawl collar.

Does anyone know a good source in London for fur or even better Persian lambs wool?
Simon A

Thu Nov 26, 2009 2:54 pm

If you can't find a retail supplier in London, I suggest you go to EBay and search for furs under the category " Craft/Cutting". These are fur coats or stoles with wear along the edges but still with plenty of good fur for cutting into collars. Should only cost a few pounds.
Jordan Marc

Thu Nov 26, 2009 5:44 pm

Medusala:

Try some good furriers. Owners of furs often store their coats with furriers during the warmer seasons. For one reason or another, coats go unclaimed and storage fees go unpaid. A good furrier will notify the owner, but if there is response the coat becomes the property of said
furrier to do with as he pleases. It's also not unusual for responsible owners of furs to sell them to furriers because they want to upgrade to a brand-new coat. Call it the rabbit to mink to sable syndrome. You should be able to find whatever fur you prefer for a collar and labels on a coat without too much trouble.

JMB
  • Information