Bicycles

Discuss travel, watches, gastronomy, wines, boats and all other aspects of the Elegant life
jmkd

Thu Nov 05, 2009 11:29 pm

Gentlemen. Firstly, greetings.

I have not posted before but have spent many hours reading the expertise and insight that can be found here. Thank you all for sharing and inspiring.

I dig up and reply to this old thread rather selfishly, I freely admit. Having recently created an outlet for cycling articles somewhat inspired by elegant living, I have rather cornered myself into posting here first. I trust you might allow what ultimately follows (a self-promoting link) if I explain further.

The Guvnor Owners' Club is about cycling in London on a Pashley Guvnor. Some of you may be familiar with this bicycle (referenced above), others not. It is a simple recreation of a model first made by England's oldest bicycle manufacturer in the 1930s. It may be equivalent to off the peg, but what the bike causes in the rider is something profound and I believe of relevance here.

It causes you to match the bike's own elegance in how you dress, and how you ride. It cannot be ridden any other way than appropriately. Then, when you and the bike are in unison, your surroundings follow. Your outlook takes a new focus, and while the dangers of the road remain uppermost, one can partake in the city and its inhabitants in a wholly new way. New observations are made with every ride, from the noticing of street texture to changing architecture. And people, glorious people in all their forms. I have ridden many bicycles and the Guvnor is the first to affect such change in this rider at least.

If you think some of this might be of interest then please click below. Either way, thank you for your time.

http://www.guvnorownersclub.com/

James
FineEnglishCompany

Tue Nov 17, 2009 10:52 am

The only bike you want to be seen on is the handmade Pashley Guv'nor

They are available in standard or 3 speed and do very occasionally change hands on auction sites at around half price

http://www.pashley.co.uk/products/guvnor.html

We have one in our offce just to look at!
shredder

Tue Nov 17, 2009 12:52 pm

FineEnglishCompany wrote:We have one in our offce just to look at!
What a crying shame. :cry:
FineEnglishCompany

Tue Nov 17, 2009 4:30 pm

Our office Pashley for inspiration!

It does get used for the odd run to the post and draws a lot of comments....
Cornelius

Thu Nov 19, 2009 11:28 pm

I cycle to my office in London in all but the most inclement weather and find the Pashley sovereign my favoured steed for the following reasons:

1 - the gears mean that I do not strain and break sweat;
2- coatguard fitted;
3- full chaincase

I also have a gazelle but prefer the Pashley's posture. I would recommend it to anyone with patience and who wishes to arive at their destination without the need for a shower.
chapeau

Sun Jan 17, 2010 4:43 pm

I would recommend the Brompton ('M' models for superior 'Sit and beg' positioning.) I use one on a regular basis, and can get from A to B throughout central London more comfortably and quicker than I could on the underground, bus, or car - plus it is free.

One hopes that Boris Johnson manages to land the London Cycle Scheme successfully; like the Vélib scheme in Paris they have also adopted the timeless 'Sit and beg' position, an Oma frame, 3 speed hub gears, chain-guards (albeit half cut), and a basket. Everything the distinguishing gent or lady, could possibly need to get about town.

I also hanker after the Pashley, although shall save my purchase of the Roadster Sovereign, Guv'nor, or both until my relocation is complete. Until then, it is a Brompton M6L and a classic Raleigh from the 1960's. More than enough.

Cycling, like walking, is the best means of transporting oneself in the city. What other form of transport could be more efficient or egalitarian, whilst providing the perfect opportunity to enjoy ones surrounding with intensity, and to appreciate, fully, the investment made in their clothing.
alden

Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:18 am

Cycling, like walking, is the best means of transporting oneself in the city. What other form of transport could be more efficient or egalitarian, whilst providing the perfect opportunity to enjoy ones surrounding with intensity, and to appreciate, fully, the investment made in their clothing.
Welcome Chapeau

I heartily agree with you.

Michael Alden
andreasperelli

Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:54 am

A friend's of mine is the producer of these beauties.
Man at C&A

Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:22 am

May I open my account here by drawing your attention to this event which may be of interest to London based members?

http://tweedrun.com/
Concordia

Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:47 pm

andreasperelli wrote:A friend's of mine is the producer of these beauties.
What is their name, and where did the chain go?
andreasperelli

Thu Apr 01, 2010 7:31 am

There is no chain, there is a Cardanic Joint.
Their name is cicli & co.
jekarwoski

Fri Apr 30, 2010 1:26 am

Gentlemen,

I know we are discussing city or commuting cycles here, and I have to say that I am a bit envious
of those of you that can commute to work via bicycle. If one desires a road bike that doesn't resemble
an F1 car in material, coloring, or exuberant logo placement, I suggest

http://www.renovobikes.com/
2528739-5966479-thumbnail.jpg
renovo bb.jpg
I have no experience with this maker, but I would have liked to known about them prior to
acquiring a new bike a year ago.
jmkd

Sun May 16, 2010 9:21 pm

Sirs, can anyone shed light on the kind of jacket shown here? A description, or a similar example from elsewhere in which the waist can be made out would be much appreciated. I have become rather possessed by the idea of acquiring a replica by the Autumn. Any suggestions or advice welcomed, thank you in advance.
Man at C&A

Mon May 17, 2010 5:46 am

2 modern and 1 original version of the Cycling Suit:

http://www.dashingtweeds.co.uk/dt/tailo ... fits-sub1/
http://www.rapha.cc/timothy-everest-and ... cling-suit
http://www.oldclassiccar.co.uk/classic- ... yclist.jpg

I wear tweed whilst riding my 1937 Granby Touring bike, and Gurkha shorts with an aertex shirt on whilst pedalling my '48 Bates Vergrandis. Both are appropriate to the machine being used. To be honest the tweed is horrible to wear on the bike and even at a pedestrian pace it's too hot.

I will admit that I prefer lycra, drytex and modern materials. My City suits live in my City office, and I can shower and change when I arrive at work.
Maki

Mon Dec 27, 2010 12:58 pm

Hello, I'm a new posting member here (after skulking around for a while, however). I understand that this is a bit of a resurrection but I feel I can actually contribute some meaningful advice here.

One of the staples of the LL is bespoke and I'm surprised that nobody has actually thought about applying this to your bicycle too. Custom frames are the perfect way of making a bike that is perfectly suited to you and your riding style. Personally I can't stand Pashley bicycles, from experience I've found them to be heavy, unreliable and not a comfortable ride. If you are relying upon a good Brookes saddle to keep you comfortable then you have made a poor choice in frame set. With proper engineering, a saddle with close to no padding or comfort should be able to allow a smooth ride.

I'm not going to go into specifics as they tend not to apply across the board. Here are, however, some tips that I would thoroughly recommend to those with a suitable budget:

1) Custom frame: I've had several carbon fibre frames made by ZeroFour down in Dorset, good people and certainly very good frames for a decent price too. Although mine were mountain bikes, there are many out there who would listen to your own specifications about what you want from the bicycle. Much like how a bespoke suit speaks volumes about the wearer, so does a custom frame. Your frame material choice is paramount to this step too, which brings me to...

2)Frame type: After deciding whether you want an off-the-shelf bike or a custom job, it's best to decide what material your frame should be made from as this will affect who you go to for the construction. Here are some opinions on material choices:

i) Steel - This is a staple of the classic bikes industry, in my opinion for a commuting bike it is also an anachronism. Many swear by steel as it is very strong and can be easily shaped, remember that is is also very very heavy. Steel frames are most commonly used within high-end bikes for downhill racing where strength is paramount and weight is not as important. Personally I wouldn't recommend it, it's heavy and unless you get a very expensive variety of steel, will rust if not repainted every so often.

ii) Aluminium - Aluminium is a very versatile material as it is strong, will not corrode, is lightweight and doesn't cost the earth. It is also quite easy to find places that will construct a custom aluminium frame for you. Many of the high-end town bike reinventions are made from aluminium. Aluminium offers a comfortable ride with comparatively little pedalling effort required and is far better suited for commuting than steel (enjoy those hills on a steel bike).

iii) Carbon fibre - Don't be alarmed by my inclusion of this material! Carbon is my personal favourite out of the bunch as it offers a unique set of properties and possibilities. Carbon is very lightweight, very strong, can be moulded to almost any shape, doesn't corrode and also offers shock absorption and optional directional flexibility. If you find the black weave appearance too flashy or 'vulgar' even, simple, just have it painted another colour! Best of all you could have a frame that resembles a beautiful classic steel bike, yet weighs far far less and is more comfortable. Carbon is, however, very expensive for custom builds.

iv) Titanium - Perhaps the king of frame materials? Titanium offers much of the same as carbon but with a slightly different ride feel. A titanium custom build could resemble any bike you want and be a delight to use. The catch is that it's even more expensive than carbon quite often.

Parts such as brakes, gears, wheels etc. are best discussed with a professional face to face out of experience. I recommend finding your nearest proper bike store (as in operated by somebody who really knows their stuff and has a fair amount of bike construction experience) and having a good chat. Remember that most will say that a custom build is pointless, I ignored that "advice" and I must say I've never looked back since.

Also technology is your friend, not your enemy! Unlike many other crafts, cycle construction over the years has improved dramatically. You'd be a fool to go for the "classic bike" without observing what is on offer today.

Regards,
Alex
  • Information