Great smokers

Jordan Marc

Tue Oct 13, 2009 2:13 pm

Curious, these photos of so-called great smokers. Has it occurred to anyone that virtually all of the subjects are dead? For a better view of what smoking actually does to your lungs, go to the following:

http://www.quitsmokinghelp.net/smokers_lungs.html

JMB
storeynicholas

Tue Oct 13, 2009 2:56 pm

Jordan Marc wrote:Curious, these photos of so-called great smokers. Has it occurred to anyone that virtually all of the subjects are dead? For a better view of what smoking actually does to your lungs, go to the following:

http://www.quitsmokinghelp.net/smokers_lungs.html

JMB
There are obviously Big Smokers as well as Great Smokers!
NJS
shredder

Tue Oct 13, 2009 7:18 pm

SURGEON GENERAL'S WARNING: This thread may be hazardous to your health. Keep well away.
Costi

Tue Oct 13, 2009 7:49 pm

Some may recall from previous threads I am no partisan of smoking, but I must admit I enjoy this thread a lot and I would like to thank Marcelo and all contributors for it. It is very LL-ish :wink:
Most characters may well be dead, but their are well remembered, aren't they?
Cufflink79

Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:52 pm

I think what Mr. Jordan Marc wanted to remind us all of, was that even though these are glamorous photos (and they truly are), is that smoking is a ticket to wearing a bespoke suit for an eternity earlier then one would like.

I'm not a smoker myself, but I love the look of a double cuff and cuff link peaking out of the jacket underneath the cigar or cigarette occupied hand.

A few times myself while handing a toothpick after lunch, I find myself treating it like a cigarette. Not only that, but when handing chewing gum as well I've also found myself taking the piece out of the box and tapping it like a cigarette before opening the wrapper.

Smoking has played a huge part in our world over time, and no matter what the law makers try to do, the smoke will always fill the air.

Best Regards,

Cufflink79
storeynicholas

Wed Oct 14, 2009 12:14 am

Cufflink79 wrote:I think what Mr. Jordan Marc wanted to remind us all of, was that even though these are glamorous photos (and they truly are), is that smoking is a ticket to wearing a bespoke suit for an eternity earlier then one would like.

I'm not a smoker myself, but I love the look of a double cuff and cuff link peaking out of the jacket underneath the cigar or cigarette occupied hand.

A few times myself while handing a toothpick after lunch, I find myself treating it like a cigarette. Not only that, but when handing chewing gum as well I've also found myself taking the piece out of the box and tapping it like a cigarette before opening the wrapper.

Smoking has played a huge part in our world over time, and no matter what the law makers try to do, the smoke will always fill the air.

Best Regards,

Cufflink79
I that we are all breaking the first rule of this thread - photos and captions only -but I have started another thread in Elegant Living called Clinging to the Wreckage. Nice post, though Cufflink. NJS
shredder

Thu Oct 15, 2009 2:13 pm

Malcolm McLaren
Never Mind the Bollocks
shredder

Thu Oct 15, 2009 3:04 pm

Yves Montand
shredder

Thu Oct 15, 2009 3:06 pm

Catherine Deneuve

shredder

Fri Oct 16, 2009 9:09 am

René Magritte
shredder

Fri Oct 16, 2009 3:07 pm

Don Adolfo Suarez
storeynicholas

Fri Oct 16, 2009 5:46 pm

A crowd-pleaser: Hedy - smoking - without tobacco:

marcelo

Fri Oct 16, 2009 9:28 pm

From Vanity Fair

AlfredJamesCumick / 1909

Rudyard Kipling / 1894

Francis Bret Harte / 1879

Count Franz Deym / 1898

Arnold Bennett / 1913

Chesterton

The Chevalier De Souza Correa / 1898

Samuel Langhorne Clemens, a.k.a. Mark Twain / 1908

F. E. Smith / 1907

And keep in mind that all these gentlemen are dead, as Jordan Marc kindly reminds us. :D
storeynicholas

Sat Oct 17, 2009 12:51 am

Marcelo - none of these chaps reached a very ripe old age (Mark Twain at 75 was the oldest and F E Smith imploded at 58) - but, from their expressions - who would have dared to dash the tobacco from their lips?! here is a great smokers' movie moment from Now Voyager - Paul Henreid lighting two cigarettes - for Bette Davies and himself, near the end (sorry that it's not a good reproduction) and I still haven't got that great Tallulah picture - but I know where it is!

NJS :D _oooOOO
andrei67

Fri Nov 06, 2009 1:09 pm

It's a fashion photo by John Rawlings, but it surely qualifies for the thread)))
  • Information