Suit Lining Color

What you always wanted to know about Elegance, but were afraid to ask!
Frog in Suit

Fri Jul 10, 2009 5:15 pm

I may not have a bespoke shroud (which, in my opinion, absolutely screams for a silver skulls and bones on a black background lining), but I just ordered my first-ever bespoke shoes (black calf, with a bright red lining :lol: !).
NJS

Fri Jul 10, 2009 5:39 pm

I like the idea of the skulls and crossbones!! terrific idea!! I had actually heard about the shoes but not the lining - I have red in a pair - and why not!! I think that red is under-used - post box red, in my view, is a masculine colour and a pair of red and white co-respondent - spectator shoes is on my wish list.
NJS :lol:
P. Sharp

Sun Nov 07, 2010 4:18 pm

I return to this fairly long and interesting discussion that has been resting for a year or so.
In the tread, there are several references made to a conservative or classic lining for a suit that is intended to be used in business situations. What lining colour would you consider as correct on a navy suit?

P. Sharp
Frog in Suit

Sun Nov 07, 2010 6:02 pm

P. Sharp wrote:I return to this fairly long and interesting discussion that has been resting for a year or so.
In the tread, there are several references made to a conservative or classic lining for a suit that is intended to be used in business situations. What lining colour would you consider as correct on a navy suit?

P. Sharp
First of all, a lining is meant not to be seen; it should therefore not matter what colour or pattern it is.
By default, a conservative tailor will probably put in a navy, plain, lining, unless otherwise instructed. There is nothing to stop you from choosing any colour that strikes your fancy.

Not to try to impose my tastes on anyone, but my latest navy w/white chalk stripes is lined in scarlet. I have a mid-grey pick and pick lined in electric blue, a charcoal heavy weight overcoat lined in pearl grey; orders in the pipeline include a dark grey w/white pinstripes (fairly subdued) lined in navy and a tweed black and white herringbone lined in wine/dark red. Some colours seem to call for a certain lining hue; I choose instinctively :o .
Frog in Suit
A.Hacking

Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:53 am

I would have thought image 22 on the attached link would suit any occasion !! :lol: :wink:

http://www.pogsondavis.co.uk/photogallery.htm (Rooney)

It just oozes understated quality and sophistication - surely what we are all searching for?
Simon A

Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:31 pm

Ouch!!....well spotted. It must be delightful to be fitted in the "special and welcoming atmosphere of an upscale drinking club". I think sharp objects, alcohol and footballers should be kept apart at all times.....

The "upscale" (?!?) nature of this establishment would be enhanced if they could spell the plural of whisky correctly. The Clients' Comments section (with no apostrophe) suggests that the customers are also only semi-literate. My personal favourite;

"When I choose to be clothed when I venture out into public, I am clothed by Pogson & Davis. And I (and the general public) are glad when that happens."

Indeed.
Frog in Suit

Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:53 pm

Simon A wrote: My personal favourite;

"When I choose to be clothed when I venture out into public, I am clothed by Pogson & Davis. And I (and the general public) are glad when that happens."

Indeed.
…which leads one to the logical conclusion that whoever penned those priceless lines occasionally (sometimes, often, not infrequently, only on public holidays?) chooses NOT to be clothed when venturing “into public”.
It must then follow that the hapless public finds itself deposited on the horns of a dilemma too awful to contemplate: Which is more to be dreaded of these two visions: the writer clothed in his P & D finery, or the writer in his birthday suit :shock: ?
Will it be Charybdis or Scylla, Sir 8) ?
Frog in Suit
Costi

Mon Nov 08, 2010 2:57 pm

I suppose serving strong drinks is indispendable when talking customers into wearing such styles... or succumbing to their requests.

However, this one triggers my imagination:
A party with dress code "in the works" could be a fun idea :)
  • Information